Android Messages counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Started using Messages yesterday. Been getting texts and responding just fine. It is having a slight issue. The counter on the app button keeps going up! First it was 4, then today it went up to 12 now 16! I have received dozens of texts so it is not just counting them, it just doesn't ever seem to reset.

I tried clearing the cache in the app with no luck. I don't want to really lose all my texts either

Any thoughts?

Chris

OP
D

drtnsnw

Reaction score
So I cleared t he cache again,rebooted the phone and the counter cleared! First text I received popped up with 16!!

Chris

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's an issue with the 2.1.161 Google Messenger app update. Check the Play Store Reviews and you will see it affects way more than just Moto phones. We have several threads here discussing it, including the one here:

Issue with the Google Messenger app after recent app update?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I installed Google Messenger app version 2.0.768 from APK Mirror and the unread message count works just fine. Like it used to before the app update.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Since @Sajo has already provided a workaround and there is already a topic on this subject, which he also linked, this thread is now closed. Please refer to the thread in post #3 by Sajo if you would like to discuss this further.

Status
Not open for further replies.