Android M May be Version Number 5.2 Instead of 6.0 [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-m-version-52-hint.png

Here's an interesting, although not completely useful rumor for your Monday morning musings. Supposedly, Android M will not have the next generation Android version number of 6.0, but instead will simply be Android 5.2.

If true, this news would suggest that Android M will simply be an evolution and improvement of Android 5.x instead of a full blown new Android OS. This might be good news considering how buggy Android L was on initial release. It could easily be argued that it should have stayed in the oven a bit longer.

This would mean that rather than completely overhauling the Lollipop design, Google has decided to refine it instead. The way this rumor came about is suggested in the above image. It shows a "demo mode" on an Android device with the time set at 5:20. Demo Mode is a new feature only found in Android M. The source of this intel seems to add these two bits of data up to conclude that Android M will be version number 5.2.

While this could easily be dismissed as wild speculation, it is not unheard of to see Developers hint at future releases by using the clock creatively. Obviously it's not a lot to go on, but it is certainly possible.

Source: PhoneArena

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd say that's a safe bet. Idk if the clock thing is true, but we've had new "named" updates that were still within the Number of the previous update, haven't we? Or is my memory failing me.

Was it the 2.1 update? I know we've had at least one or 2 that were updates like this, tweaks on a more major update that preceded them, so the number didn't jump past the .9 mark to a new version number altogether.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'd say that's a safe bet. Idk if the clock thing is true, but we've had new "named" updates that were still within the Number of the previous update, haven't we? Or is my memory failing me.

Was it the 2.1 update? I know we've had at least one or 2 that were updates like this, tweaks on a more major update that preceded them, so the number didn't jump past the .9 mark to a new version number altogether.
Jelly Bean to Kitkat

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Had to cheat and look it up. Definitely nothing new.

I was going to say JB>KK and Froyo>GB without looking it up.

Didn't the first Droid start on Froyo? The earlier versions were never officially on any phones. Yes? No?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I didn't. I wish I would've tried harder to resurrect that beast when I finally pulled it out of storage and dusted it off. Wouldn't take a charge or boot up at all no matter how long I had it plugged in, so I had to put it down for good.