Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2

I'm surprised this hasn't hit the rounds yet. Looks like Google has implemented some lines of code for developers to use as an auto backup system that mimics iOS App backups. Users will be able to store this data in Google Drive. This is, of course, all without root permissions of any kind.

Now, here is the other interesting thing. Apps that are sideloaded or brought over from other App Stores can also implement this as well. It isn't limited to just Google Play apps. All those free Amazon App Store apps are no longer in fear of losing data.

I don't know about the rest of you but this is a feature that has been a long time coming and I am personally excited about it. I can't wait to just pick up my games right where I left off! I do still have some questions that were lightly address by the lovely gentlemen with an awesome accent:
  • Security risks involved and permissions that would be required.
  • How would users of third-party type OS tablets get to utilize this (i.e. Kindle Fire owners, etc.)?
  • What kind of control is Google going to give the users when it comes to what gets backed up? Apple simply offers a snapshot of all that information, will Google let us choose what is backed up to save on Google Drive Storage?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I had seen a rumor about app and associated app data being able to be backed up without root based on some code found in the Play Store app, months ago but hadn't seen anything since then. I even responded to a post about that then began to feel like a fool when nothing happened. ;);)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Throw in system image functionality and it would kill ever having to root again for me.