[ANDROID] Intels New Smartphone Reference Design makes appearance.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
intelreference.jpeg

While Intel spent most of their time yesterday speaking about their ULtrabooks expect today to be a little different. Forbes reports that later today Intel's CEO Paul Otellini is going to spend some time addressing the company’s push into the smartphone processor market. As previously reported, Intel intends to enter the market with their own chip named the Atom Z2460. It will be powering Android handsets in the very near future and a reference design of the Intel powered Android handset is at their CES booth.

For those of you unfamiliar with what a reference design is, it's essentialy a proto-type device used to give manufactures ideas on how to build a handset around the chip.

This particular reference design was packing a 4-inch display, an 8 MP camera, high-def video playback, HDMI, accelerometer, 3D gyroscope, wifi, Bluetooth and NFC capability.

The pic below are suggested specs:
intelspec.jpeg

Source:Forbes

Reaction score
This looks pretty sweet actually. If I'm reading that screen correctly it mentions the chips as 1.6 GHz with no mention of dual core. Could this be aimed at mid tier phones? Even so I'd like to see how it compares to the latest OMAPs and Snapdragons.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I'm kind of skeptical of any device that has a task killer installed. Look at the first pic. It's got ATK in the status bar... You'd think Intel would know better, right?

magnus

Reaction score
In case you haven't seen this, one preliminary benchmark....well ahead even of the Exynos....though no other details are mentioned
Medfield performance, power numbers leak out - The Tech Report
Also.....as far as ATK is concerned, it's a showroom device....any number of people could have installed it as they played with it...or then again, it could be Intel :)

But I'm excited about this! They had a demo of it running MC2 on a big screen...looked pretty sweet.

iGrizz

Reaction score
I'm kind of skeptical of any device that has a task killer installed. Look at the first pic. It's got ATK in the status bar... You'd think Intel would know better, right?

I'm going to assume that someone playing with that phone installed that ATK...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm going to assume that someone playing with that phone installed that ATK...

It must have been the demonstrator then. I don't think a lot of press folks get "alone time" with these phones without supervision.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
A phone with an Atom processor = Great idea. A computer with an Atom processor = Bad idea.