android incredible email client sucks - google learn from apple

OP
Q

qwerty53

Reaction score
hi,
it is really sad that google can release the phone without proper testing why there are 2 clients and each of them has its own problems.
I use gmail only. On gmail client when I read unread email it is not synced with the server.
So on pc I see it still unread.
With the general client I cannot easilyjust ny scrolling see more emails.
In order to disable notification I need to go to the gmail client to do it although there is an option in the general too.
Also on the general there is an option to refresh when I go to a folser. This does not work.
Google at least email you could get right.
I would love if someone pointed me at my mistakes.

Here is your post... I still can't deciphere what your issues are... other then maybe one of them

Gmail sync.... it should be syncing properly as it works perfect on mine.

Refreshing when you go to a folder is only for exchange... I'm not sure if you are using exchange or not as you haven't told us.

Anything else?

What is this? "With the general client I cannot easilyjust ny scrolling see more emails."

I have no clue what you are trying to say on that one.

there are 2 apps. gmail app and droid native app (will call it general app).
1. Go into general app the email is not refreshed automatically although in the menu there is such an option and it is checked.
2. In general app when I go into it and I need more emails then it already downloaded then there is no way to get them.
3. In gmail app problem 1 exists too.
4. In gmail app when I read unread email I have to manually refresh for this to be marked as read on the server! - REDICULAS

chrisxgordon

Reaction score
That is just your incredible not android as a whole, my droid has never had that problem.

1. Go into general app the email is not refreshed automatically although in the menu there is such an option and it is checked.
2. In general app when I go into it and I need more emails then it already downloaded then there is no way to get them.
3. In gmail app problem 1 exists too.
4. In gmail app when I read unread email I have to manually refresh for this to be marked as read on the server!

Qwerty,

I'm not sure exactly what to tell you. I haven't heard of this issue before, but I would imagine it has something to do with either your phone or email settings. If you havenn't already, you may want to double check all of your settings, just to make sure that they are all setup properly. I wish that I could offer you a more specific solution, but 'gonnadie4thegov' is right, this sounds like a isolated incident with your particular phone. If no one else can offer any advice, I would contact Verizon about the issue and if nothing else, you may be able to receive a replacement phone. Sorry, I couldn't be of more assistance, but good luck with this issue.

- Chris

ExactDroid

Reaction score
The general app as you call it, which is called "Mail" only refreshes instantly if using an exchange account.. otherwise it will refresh every 5, 10, 15, or 30 minutes based on what you set it too.... POP3 doesn't allow for marking as read on the server either, you must use imap.

As for your other issues, it's either the phone or your settings, my guess is it's your settings. Go through them again and maybe remove the accounts and start fresh.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think k9 rocks. I would prefer google got the OS right. Stuff like the email client is the domain of app developers.
What I cannot get is whether k-9 syncs in the background or not. Although I think I disabled it but not sure. The menus are not too self explanatory.

I agree, this stuff can be confusing. K9 does sync in the background. If you're connecting to a pop account, you need to set a polling frequency. If using imap, polling is not necessary. You can use k9 to check gmail. Go to gmail.com settings and turn on imap access. I believe there are instructions there for setting up your email client.

In your phone settings > account & sync > turn on autosync. You might as well turn on background data too.

I'm not sure what the htc Mail app is like, but if it's anything like "Email" on the droid, steer clear and use k9. The "Gmail" app on the droid is good.

mrmomoman

Reaction score
qwerty53 - you are a little confusing in a few ways.

1) You say that you only use GMAIL accounts yet you are talking about Droid Mail App? Just use the GMAIL APP
2) As some people mentioned already are you using Exchange? Did you set up Google Email Account like an Exchange account as some have one on the IPHONES?
3) Your PC email client is what? How did you set it up? POP3, IMAP, Exchange for Google?

I have all 3 types of email on my phone. With Exchange I delete it on my phone and I can watch my email delete from my PC within seconds. With GMAIL if I delete from my Droid Incredible then I have to refresh my GMAIL account in Outlook 2010 to see the changes.

Since I cannot setup my 2 Exchange accounts on the phone( wish I could) I cannot test the GMAIL Exchange Setup on the phone. I guess I could but its not worth it for me.

For the most part I send all my non work emails to the GMAIL account through POP and use GMAIL as a my main non work related email repository.

I would delete your accounts and try them again. If you are on IMAP it should not be an issue to remove and reconfigure your GMAIL account.

stevehy

Reaction score
SSHGuru is correct, download K9 mail and it will help with most of your problems. You are correct that the email clients in Android are not as polished as the iPhone email clients, which is why I use K9, not a cure, but much improved over stock clients.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google has "learned from Apple". An iphone has how many browsers? One. How many email clients? One. Compare that to how many are available for android. Yes, things are pleasant in Appleland. Everyone wears a nice white straightjacket and stays in their padded cell. All so perfect, just the way Steve wants it. If they "jailbreak" they can do something as "evil" as installing a different mail client...except there isn't a sanctioned apple store for these jailbroken apps so there's little incentive for devs there. Google has learned from Apple: don't be greedy.

stevehy

Reaction score
Google has "learned from Apple". An iphone has how many browsers? One. How many email clients? One. Compare that to how many are available for android. Yes, things are pleasant in Appleland. Everyone wears a nice white straightjacket and stays in their padded cell. All so perfect, just the way Steve wants it. If they "jailbreak" they can do something as "evil" as installing a different mail client...except there isn't a sanctioned apple store for these jailbroken apps so there's little incentive for devs there. Google has learned from Apple: don't be greedy.

You are really an angry person, aren’t you? I was just making a statement built on experience. How many iPhones and Android devices do you own? How many lines of code have you written?

Guess some people are so insecure that an opinion makes some folk go nuclear. Well, I should not be surprised as I’m an New York Times reader in a Fox news world.

Calm down and try to insert some facts instead of testosterone poisoned opinion. BTW, the iPhone OS is based on Free BSD which is quite good and more mature than Linux, but I don’t want to confuse you with facts.

ExactDroid

Reaction score
There is no reason to use K9 on the incredible... the stock mail app blows away K9.... it's a setup issue and not understanding what he is doing. ( no offense)

jpoutre

Reaction score
I use the native Gmail client on my Incredible and it works perfect. I open it and always have my latest email there.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, lets tone it down a bit. OP, I really didn't see anything in aminaked's post to get that kind of response. Let's treat each other respectfully.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, lets tone it down a bit. OP, I really didn't see anything in aminaked's post to get that kind of response. Let's treat each other respectfully.

LOL, he isn't the OP and I wasn't even talking to him. I was just sharing my opinion about Apple's "walled garden".

Anyway, he asked how many lines of code I've written and I don't have an answer because I've written A LOT. I own 35 web sites (Perl backend) and have made more PC applications than I can count. Who's the angry one? Jeez. :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

mrmomoman

Reaction score
I do not really think there is an issue per se. The OP needs to just read the comments and start over.

itzkr0me

Reaction score

You are really an angry person, aren’t you? I was just making a statement built on experience. How many iPhones and Android devices do you own? How many lines of code have you written?

Guess some people are so insecure that an opinion makes some folk go nuclear. Well, I should not be surprised as I’m an New York Times reader in a Fox news world.

Calm down and try to insert some facts instead of testosterone poisoned opinion. BTW, the iPhone OS is based on Free BSD which is quite good and more mature than Linux, but I don’t want to confuse you with facts.
BSD... not FreeBSD. There's a difference there. Along with numerous other sources.

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP or anyone else. Check the links in my sig, see if they help.