Android gallery not showing mp4.

slg070

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
This is a recent issue. I download all kinds of video formats and they all show up in the gallery, but the mp4. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This is a recent issue. I download all kinds of video formats and they all show up in the gallery, but the mp4. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Even though it's not showing up in the gallery, are you able to play the video on your phone at all?

If you're not able to play the video(s) in question, it's possible that they were encoded with a codec that's not supported by your phone. MP4, like any other file extension, is basically just a container that the file sits in. How the specifics of the actual information in that container were made (which is where the codec comes in for video) can vary. Not all .mp4 files are the same.

While it won't solve the problem of the video not showing up in the gallery (only re-encoding the video will do that), you might want to think about downloading a different video player from the Play Store that supports a wide range of codecs. This will allow you to be able to play the videos on your phone. MX Player is one of my favorites, and it has played pretty much any video format I've thrown at it. VLC is the standard go-to program on computers for me and for many people, and their Android app is currently available (but in beta).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Even though it's not showing up in the gallery, are you able to play the video on your phone at all?

If you're not able to play the video(s) in question, it's possible that they were encoded with a codec that's not supported by your phone. MP4, like any other file extension, is basically just a container that the file sits in. How the specifics of the actual information in that container were made (which is where the codec comes in for video) can vary. Not all .mp4 files are the same.

While it won't solve the problem of the video not showing up in the gallery (only re-encoding the video will do that), you might want to think about downloading a different video player from the Play Store that supports a wide range of codecs. This will allow you to be able to play the videos on your phone. MX Player is one of my favorites, and it has played pretty much any video format I've thrown at it. VLC is the standard go-to program on computers for me and for many people, and their Android app is currently available (but in beta).
Good advice. I would try to navigate to the video(s) with a file manager and launch them from there to see if the phone can play them.

OP
S

slg070

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Thank you all for the replies. The videos do play but they just don't show up in the gallery. I've tried moving them to other folders, but that didn't help either.