Android Archos 5 Internet Tablet

jtcampbell

Reaction score
Just saw the Archos 5 Internet Tablet the other day while in Best Buy, and I was wondering if anyone owns one, or if they know if it would be worth switching from the iPod Touch to the Archos...it seems like it would integrate good with the Droid, especially with the microSD capabilities.

Any information on this would be helpful. Also - if anyone knows, if I did buy the Archos and want to transfer all of my music & videos over, off of my iPod Touch, will the Archos be compatible with all of my iTunes music and everything?

Thanks.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had 2 different archos in the past - fun at first (great screen decent battery life) but i dont think they compare to the touches (and i dont have a touch) i think i had the archos 7 and the 605? i think - ended up selling them both after a few months

the main things that got me was buying the plugins (idk if its the same for the internet edition) and the freezing. i had freezing on the 605 and i thought theyd fixed it when the 7 came out but it still had its moments

about itunes, i dont think itll work. im pretty sure it needs WMP to sync

but dont get me wrong, the internet tablet looks pretty sweet, but im not sold over on it bc i like my storage

id check this out too to learn more about it
Archos 5 Internet tablet with Android (32GB) Portable Video Players (PVPs) reviews - CNET Reviews

EDIT: just watched the video on there, doesnt look too bad. but did notice that not all apps are available. but it does support xvid and divx which i believe you had to pay for on the other models. still laggy though

Last edited:
OP
jtcampbell

jtcampbell

Reaction score
I have read the tech specs on it straight off their website, and I just thought it would be nice to have a media player device that was running Android, just like my phone.
Thanks for your input though.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have read the tech specs on it straight off their website, and I just thought it would be nice to have a media player device that was running Android, just like my phone.
Thanks for your input though.

id check out the new netbooks that run android - same price range too

but thats just my opinion :) if you like it then go for it

OP
jtcampbell

jtcampbell

Reaction score
Well I'm using one of the new Dell Inspiron Mini Netbooks right now, haha.

I don't want a laptop that runs Android, I just wanted to hear some feedback from Archos users/owners. Thanks again!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do own the archos 5 I do like it. Will it replace I pod tou@h? Not for games. But it is great for everything else.. syncs with windows media player not I tunes will play divx andother video formats

copyguy

Reaction score
Returning one.

I bought an Archos 5 IT on 3/27 at Best Buy after falling in love with my wife's Droid and my daughter's Eris (that I got for them).

I can't get it to stay on a wireless network, the "appsLib" is NOT the marketplace and does not have much in it, the music player is mediocre at best, and the touchscreen pretty much sucks.

There is a support base on the internet for users of this tablet and hacks that can be done to make apps for the droid kinda sorta work, but I just don't feel up to the fight right now.

I REALLY wanted to love this device, but having to buy add ons for it coupled with apps that don't seem to work or FC a lot is just too much. It took me 5 tries just to get through the registration process on it.

I'm returning it sometime this week to get an iPod Touch... ugh...I hate apple and their lockdown tactics, but at least their stuff works. Maybe the Zii EGG will do better if Creative ever releases it...