Android 4.2 JOP40C Heading to AOSP Now; Plus Factory Images for Nexus 4, 10 & 7-HSPA+

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nexus-devices.jpg

Google has really gone all out with this launch today. Not only did they make the new Nexus 4 and 10 devices available (with the Nexus 4 selling out in rapid fashion), they also want to make sure that developers are taken care of too. There are two big Nexus devices announcements that will apply to the creative geniuses in the community.

First, the Android 4.2 JOP40C is heading to AOSP now. This is of course means that devs will be able to start tinkering to their hearts content, which, in-turn, means that us regular folk will soon get the benefit of their amazing work in the form of custom ROMS, themes, mods and more. Here's a quote from Google's own, Jean-Baptiste Queru,

Good news everyone!

-The source code for 4.2 is being pushed to AOSP right now. Look for
it under the name "android-4.2_r1" once the replication completes. The
matching development branch (for CTS contributions) is jb-mr1-dev, and
all the changes are merged into the master branch where platform
contributions are accepted.

-Nexus 10 is now the best choice for AOSP work on 4.2. Everything
except the GPU code is Open Source, and the only proprietary binaries
besides the GPU libraries are firmware files that get loaded into the
various peripheral chips. No flagship device so far has been so open,
and no flagship device so far has had that level of AOSP support at
launch.

-Nexus 7 3G isn't supported. We haven't been able to license the GSM
stack for AOSP yet, and without the GSM stack this device doesn't do
more than a plain Nexus 7.

-If AOSP starts pointing toward Nexus 4, you are having a bad problem,
and you will not go to space today (i.e.: there is nothing in AOSP
related to Nexus 4).

-Factory images for the "takju" Galaxy Nexus as well as Nexus 7 (both
variants), Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

-Proprietary binaries to run AOSP on Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro and
toroplus), Nexus 7 (grouper) and Nexus 10 (manta) are available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

-There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
continue using 4.1.2.

JBQ

PS: don't reply to this thread if you have specific questions. Start
new threads instead.

PPS: no ETAs for OTAs.

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

The second bit of news is that you can now download the factory images of Android 4.2 JOP40C for the Nexus 4, the Nexus 10 and the HSPA+ version of the Nexus 7 on Google's developer area website. This is obviously useful if you have been doing some heavy tinkering and need to reset your device back to factory stock. Kudos to Google for a well planned rollout!

Source: Google Dev Blog - Factory Images and Google Groups - Android Building

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I found it odd 4.2 is still Jelly Bean. Why is Google breaking the current version scheme? I am not complaining as I always thought the changes between Android vode name versions were big enough to be full number changes in the form of 1.X to 2.X etc, rather then 4..0 being ICS and 4.1 being JB.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I found it odd 4.2 is still Jelly Bean. Why is Google breaking the current version scheme? I am not complaining as I always thought the changes between Android vode name versions were big enough to be full number changes in the form of 1.X to 2.X etc, rather then 4..0 being ICS and 4.1 being JB.

The version scheme hasn't always been 1.x, 2.x, etc. to differentiate major releases. Cupcake was v1.5, Donut was 1.6, Eclair was 2.1 and Froyo was 2.2. Additionally Honeycomb was both v3.1 and 3.2, so Jellybean doesn't necessarily break the mold here.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
The version scheme hasn't always been 1.x, 2.x, etc. to differentiate major releases.Cupcake was v1.5, Donut was 1.6, Eclair was 2.1 and Froyo was 2.2.
Um, yeah that was my point..Those should have been full on version changes, in the form of 1.X, 2.X, etc, with maybe the exception of Cupcake to Donut. It's been ages since I used either, actually I may not have even used Donut - it's been so long I forgot, but leaving Donut out for the sake of the example as I forget the changes made, but Cupcake should have been 1.0, Eclair 2.0., Froyo 3.0, HC, 4.0, ICS 5.0, JB 6.0, etc. Verasions 1.X would be Cupcake bugfixes, 2.X Eclair bug fixes, and so on.

Additionally Honeycomb was both v3.1 and 3.2, so Jellybean doesn't necessarily break the mold here.
Thanks for the info, I forgot, but it is still very out of the ordinary for Google.