Analyst Thinks Google Nexus 7 Sales Lower Than Expected with 4.5 Million

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus7-df-pic.png

According to analyst Benedict Evans, the Google Nexus 7 was a very successful device, but still fell quite a bit short of expectations. According to his estimates, the tablet sold 4.5 Million units since its debut in the Summer of last year. These numbers (if true) fall short of expectations, and also fall short of sales of the Apple iPad Mini and the Amazon Kindle Fire. Despite that, the number is still very respectable, and when compared to other Android tablet sales is actually quite spectacular.

The pressure is on for Google's next follow-up that is expected to come out later this year. Luckily, current rumors suggest the tablet will come with a higher resolution display, a faster CPU and will likely have the next iteration of Android, Key Lime Pie. The device may to launch at Google I/O and go on sale in Google's new physical retail Play Store locations nationwide.

Source: BGR

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
It could be because they aren't available in the usual box stores. Target, BestBuy, Walmart...they don't sell them. A lot of people like to see things like this in person before they shell out money for one. I'm one of those people. I happened to see they were sold at OfficeDepot and went down to see it and bought one, but it wasn't advertised it was there. I bought my 2nd one from the PlayStore because I knew what I was getting already. Go to the big stores and you see the Kindle Fire and the iPad because those companies pay to be the only ones stocked. BestBuy does have a better selection, but even then, the iPad shines out front on the end cap with a big display while the others aren't. Apple pays for that exposure. At the same time though, I don't think Google cares how many they well because the other tablets all run Android, so they are still out there being sold even if it isn't one of their Nexus tablets.

Reaction score
I bought one for my girlfriend this past Christmas and EXACTLY what the poster above me said is why sales are down. There weren't in any store. People don't even know they exist as well as the Nexus 10.

Google needs to have their products in stores.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
And they really don't advertise very well. I've seen exactly one commercial on TV for it. Samsung has learned how to beat Apple. Advertising and a lot of it. Google apparently not paying attention.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Our local BB didn't have the Nexus 7 or 10 on display, but Staples and Sams Club had both on display and Sears has the 7 in stock, but not on display. I was able to try the N7 and the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 side by side at Staples. I ended up getting the Tab 2 at Sears last month for $177.99.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Our local BB didn't have the Nexus 7 or 10 on display, but Staples and Sams Club had both on display and Sears has the 7 in stock, but not on display. I was able to try the N7 and the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 side by side at Staples. I ended up getting the Tab 2 at Sears last month for $177.99.

My niece has a Tab 2 7.0 and I didnt' like it. The screen quality is lower and to me it felt slower, much slower. My N7 has AOKP on it and I put Parandroid on hers and even then it wasn't much faster. Either way though, they do a good job for what the 7" tablets were designed for.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
My niece has a Tab 2 7.0 and I didnt' like it. The screen quality is lower and to me it felt slower, much slower. My N7 has AOKP on it and I put Parandroid on hers and even then it wasn't much faster. Either way though, they do a good job for what the 7" tablets were designed for.

I didn't see any difference when I tried them side-by-side, but then I don't use my tablet, computer or phone for any games. My wife and I both thought the screen was better on the Tab 2. It doesn't have the resolution, but we thought that the colors and photos looked better on the Tab 2, along with the speakers being slightly better. IMO, both are plenty fast for non game use.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really don't think it is a problem of sales, but a problem of supply. The 16GB version is always sold out everywhere.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not sure about screen quality, but the T27.0 was much faster in web-browsing than the N7.