Amazon Unveils it's $199 Kindle Fire Tablet

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

Amazon.com, the world’s largest online retailer, just unveiled its Kindle Fire tablet. The Kindle Fire will have a 7-inch display and sell for $199. The device, a souped-up version of the Kindle electronic-book reader, will run on Android software.

The Kindle Fire doesn’t have a camera or a microphone. It offers Wi-Fi connectivity, but no 3G access. It also comes with a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, the company’s $79-a-year membership service that includes streaming video and free two-day shipping.

Here are the full specs:
  • 7 inch IPS 1024×600 resolution display with 169 PPI
  • 7.5″ x 4.7″ x 0.45″ (190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm) at 14.6 ounces (413 grams)
  • dual-core processor (we’re hearing it’s of the TI OMAP4 variety)
  • 8GB of internal storage
  • Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback (charges in four hours and can be charged using a USB port on your PC)
  • 802.11b/g/n WiFi (no ad-hoc support)
  • microUSB 2.o
  • 3.5mm headphone jack and top-mounted external speakers
Amazon is using a fresh and easy-to-use interface instead of stock Android that ties the device closely to its own large and growing content library of movies, magazines and music.

Update: According to industry sources you will be able to pre-order the Amazon Kindle Fire starting today, and it will ship on November 15th.

Be sure to check out our dedicated Amazon Kindle Fire tablet site @ FireForum.net!

Source: FireForum.net via Bloomberg

debdroid1a

Reaction score
This will work for those like me. I got a similar tablet at a similar price in July. It was all I needed. I got the Cruz T301. Had Kindle preinstalled so that worked for me, as I wanted it primarily as an ereader, but with a few other features I would like. Movie or TV watching (converted of course since I don't have wifi at home or probably away from home), play a few games on when I'm done reading, and view other documents on. So color was a must. A price of $200 or less. 7".

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well, I've got the $200 to burn...but this is not the "tablet I'm looking for" to borrow a phrase. The Nook Color of late last year was such a gorgeous beast, and a delight to root and play with. But now that we have front and back cameras, GPS, accelerometers, and other nice tablet extras, I'd rather save up and spend $300 (where I think the Transformer and Thrive will be before long) on the real thing than plunk down less and feel 2-3 months later like features were missing.

Deb, I wish I could be logical about it like you, and just write down what it is I need exactly and make that purchase. :( But it seems that I'm easily distracted by things new and shiny!

-Matt

PS Actually, I would have happily jumped on the Transformer for $300 on Monday if that Target deal had been for real -- but now I really think it was a pricing error.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I've cometo the conclusion after my nook color, I want/need bluetooth and hdmi with my next tablet. I've yet to see any source saying the kindle fire comes with either.

I don't care one bit about gps, cameras, etc on my tablet, and I'm perfectly happy with a device that doesn't have me paying for those things.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've cometo the conclusion after my nook color, I want/need bluetooth and hdmi with my next tablet. I've yet to see any source saying the kindle fire comes with either.

I don't care one bit about gps, cameras, etc on my tablet, and I'm perfectly happy with a device that doesn't have me paying for those things.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
I should have been up front that I NEVER use those extras. It's just a "but I want them" logic. ;)

Now I'm getting confused...was it the Amazon tablet that was supposed to have a larger sibling?...or...I just read about the reboot on the Nook Color, which will come in two flavors. I think both are true: both companies are producing tablets larger than 7" in the $300-$350 range. Maybe that will be the droid I'm looking for...

Barnes & Noble May Release Two New Color Tablets, Not Just One | Netbooknews - Netbooks, Netbook Reviews, Smartbooks and more

Earlier we reported that Barnes & Noble will likely release an update to their NOOK Color around the same time that the new Amazon Kindle tablet will be available. However, now there are rumblings that instead of just a “NOOK Color 2″ device offered at the same $249 price point of the original NOOK Color, there will be an additional color tablet for $349.

The original speculation was that the NC1 price will drop to $200...but now with the (lamely-named) Fire at $200, I wonder if the 7" NC2 will be at the same price too.

-Matt

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Now I'm getting confused...was it the Amazon tablet that was supposed to have a larger sibling?...or...I just read about the reboot on the Nook Color, which will come in two flavors. I think both are true: both companies are producing tablets larger than 7" in the $300-$350 range. Maybe that will be the droid I'm looking for...
-Matt

10" Amazon Tablet Coming? ... "With a smile, Russ said "Stay tuned," and left it at that".
That size would make it more competative with a iPad. Maybe they're seeing how this 7" one works out before they make a larger size.

KanUHearMeNow

Reaction score
Ahhh... the price is right, but is it water-proof, and hence toilet-proof, like the new ASUS tablet I was just reading about on another thread here? :) Seriously though, I work for a trade show company and this sounds like a product we should offer. Stuff like this is getting quite popular at trade shows...
update: Just saw a headline that a lot of people are returning their Kindle Fires... wonder if it's not going to be as popular as I thought.

jseah

Reaction score
With just a 7-inch screen, and only 8 GB of memory, I think I'll pass. I had also read that the OS is a highly customized version of FROYO. With the OS being so highly customized, it seems like it will be quite a while before you will see any updates.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
With just a 7-inch screen, and only 8 GB of memory, I think I'll pass. I had also read that the OS is a highly customized version of FROYO. With the OS being so highly customized, it seems like it will be quite a while before you will see any updates.

the 8GB of memory is small. But with Amazon you can "buy" something and not have it on your device. I've gotten several apps that are ready for me to download on my phone, but they're not on there because I don't have the memory.

Also they're pushing the Cloud and wifi.

Books in my Kindle go to the "Archive" when not read. Same with books I just bought. I then download them (over wifi or 3g or if I had it 4g). So it's not really on my divice. And it hold 6000 books (without anything else) which I think is their largest Kindle ever.
I'm wondering if the same thing with TV and movies go to Archive when not used. So you don't need much memory.

My tablet can take a 32GB card (although I have only an 8GB in there now). I do prefer more memory. But that's me being "old school" and wanting the physical part. Except I am getting us to Amazon's Cloud Player on my phone, I listen to it sometimes on the way to work.

debdroid1a

Reaction score

PCMAG.com said it has Gingerbread 2.3. I couldn't find it over at Amazon which OS it has, but I didn't look that hard. Do you have an Amazon link you could share that shows the OS?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
PCMAG.com said it has Gingerbread 2.3. I couldn't find it over at Amazon which OS it has, but I didn't look that hard. Do you have an Amazon link you could share that shows the OS?

No one really knows. I've heard it's even 2.1

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Deb, I wish I could be logical about it like you, and just write down what it is I need exactly and make that purchase. :( But it seems that I'm easily distracted by things new and shiny!
-Matt

That's why I got a tablet when I did. I was waiting and distracted from all the new and rumored new tablets. So I decided what I really wanted and found a tablet that fit for me. And I was tired of waiting for a tablet in my budget that had bells and whistles that I didn't need.

My Droid does everything I need it to do. If I need to type long documents, I have a netbook. So I did know I just needed a basic tablet, no bells and whistles, but more then an eReader.

Matt, I hope you find what you're looking for. There are some new and shiney tablets coming. The Asus Slider looks nice.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks Deb. I'm looking forward to trying the Fire (argh, I just can't get used to saying that name!). I'd like a larger screen, but given that it can side-load Android apps without rooting -- and it comes with Gingerbread under the hood -- it will probably serve my needs well. Or maybe that's just that price talking!

I know what you mean about being happy with your Droid. I just upgraded to the D3 and it's my new "precious". ;)

-Matt

abel1337

Reaction score
best kindle ever!
random.gif