Amazon to subsidize some Android phones

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
amazon-angled.jpg

Amazon has announced today that they will be offering 2 phones at discounted prices for current Amazon Prime members. Sounds great, right? Discounts will be offered on the Moto G4 and the Blu R1 HD, both shipping in mid-July. Both devices will be marked down $50 so the Moto G4 will be $149, the Blu R1 HD will be $50.

Of course, there is a catch. Not only will these phones include nearly all of the Amazon apps, but also any other apps Amazon wants to put on your phone. These apps will probably not be removable. Not only that, Amazon will be showing you ads on your lock screen right next to your normal notifications, just like the ad supported Kindles.

I think I have a pretty good idea how most of you will feel about this. Is it worth a $50 savings to you? Are you willing to trade Carrier Bloat for Amazon Bloat? Would you buy a flagship for $150 that includes Amazon bloat/ads?

Source: The Verge

Last edited:

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I got this offer this morning from Amazon, didn't look that close at it, if only I liked the Moto, I'd have looked closer, but for motor heads it's not bad.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Not worth the $50. Amazon will make that $50 back in a month of ad selling.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm so anti-ads like that, I'd probably turn down a free phone...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk