Amazon Officially Announces New Tablets; 8.9" Kindle Fire HD & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
kindle_fire_to_get_3_new_versions.jpeg

Amazon just had their press event and officially announced a few products. They have the new Kindle Fire HD 7-inch and the Kindle Fire HD 8.9-inch. Here's a breakdown below:

Kindle Fire HD 8.9-Inch - Shipping November 20th for $299.99! (There will also be a 4G LTE Version of the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, which will include 32GB Storage and will sell for $499.99)
  • Built-in WiFi Enhancement tech - MIMO (multiple-input and multiple-output) technology - the software selects the antenna that has less fading - two-antennas to cut down on interference (5GHz band and another that runs on the standard 2.4GHz band) - device buffering - The WiFi is 41 percent faster than the iPad 3
  • Dolby Digital Plus Audio - Stereo Speakers
  • TI OMAP 4470 CPU
  • 8.9 inch display, 254ppi - 1920 x 1200 - The touch sensor is laminated -- 25 % less glare. Sharper, clearer, better contrast - It's got a new polarizing filter on it to cut down on glare and increase the viewing angle
  • 8.8mm, 20 ounces
  • Looks similar to the old Fire
  • Front facing HD camera and customized Skype App
  • 16GB Storage
  • Double the RAM of last Kindle Fire (1GB to be precise)
  • Battery lasts longer and performance is 44 percent faster.
  • Multiple Unique Software Enhancements (especially some related to Amazon's ecosystem, including music, movies, books and games)
Kindle Fire HD 7-Inch - Available September 14th for $199.99!
  • Built-in WiFi Enhancement tech - MIMO (multiple-input and multiple-output) technology - the software selects the antenna that has less fading - two-antennas to cut down on interference (5GHz band and another that runs on the standard 2.4GHz band) - device buffering - The WiFi is 41 percent faster than the iPad 3
  • Dolby Digital Plus Audio - Stereo Speakers
  • TI OMAP 4470 CPU
  • 7 inch display (similar specs to the larger model above)
  • Looks similar to the old Fire
  • Front facing HD camera and customized Skype App
  • 16GB Storage
  • Double the RAM of last Kindle Fire (1GB to be precise)
  • Battery lasts longer and performance is 44 percent faster.
  • Multiple Unique Software Enhancements (especially some related to Amazon's ecosystem, including music, movies, books and games)
There is a third device that is a new variation of the original Kindle eReader. It is called the Kindle Paperwhite, and has a new front-lit eReader with Amazon’s latest E-Ink display. It will have a black and white touchscreen E-Ink display with 25% better contrast than previous-generation Kindles and 212 pixels per inch. It will be priced at $159.99, (hence the confusion earlier about prices).

Correction from above: Apparently, we still didn't quite have the facts 100% straight. Yes, there is going to be a new eReader called the Kindle Paperwhite, but the device for $159.99 will actually be an enhanced version of the current Kindle Fire (effectively a Kindle Fire 2). We are still unsure as to the price of the eReader.

Source: Kindle-FireForum

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'd still go Nexus 7 or something from ASUS.

Last edited:

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
There is a third device that is a new variation of the original Kindle eReader. It is called the Kindle Paperwhite, and has a new front-lit eReader with Amazon’s latest E-Ink display. It will have a black and white touchscreen E-Ink display with 25% better contrast than previous-generation Kindles and 212 pixels per inch. It will be priced at $159.99, (hence the confusion earlier about prices).

Source: Kindle-FireForum

i was confused as hell about that as well. I had to read it several times to make sure i got it right

B

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^. Yep... the live blog isn't always the most accurate way of doing things, but at least we got there in the end. ;)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Mr. Bezos announces the Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE. It has 32 gigabytes of memory and will cost $499. The data plan will cost $50 a year for 250 megabytes. It ships Nov. 20 and can be ordered today.

Wait... is that $50 for 250 MB /month or /per year?
250MB per year? That can't right?

I still wouldn't get a Kindle but this has to make Apple worry a little. A tab not even an inch smaller then iPad, from Amazon, for $299???
They better come big next week.

I hate to see Apple fade. I love competition. But this, in addition to other tablet makers hitting the $300 price for 10" tabs??? Could be back to the niche market for you, Apple.

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
i want a tablet but am undecided on which to get. iPad is to pricey (wont matter if i can convince the rents to buy it for me for "school"). love my kindle so the new 7" tablet is appealing.

B

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got a Nexus7 recently and have no desire to upgrade to a Fire 2 since my Fire 1 is doing just fine , BUT I'm excited for those that are new to the tablet market or are in the market to upgrade their existing.
Battery life better than the Fire1? I get 9-10 hours of screen time on mine now so even better than that on the new models is fantastic, imo.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From my Beano

quaffapint

Reaction score
On another forum I saw the HD ones had hdmi out - that would be quite nice, especially with amazon prime.

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
I must admit these new tablets are pretty innovative, even on the software side this was a pretty big upgrade for them. But I don't think I'm too interested in buying a subsidized locked in experience from Amazon. Too much like an apple flavored Android for me. I'll stick with the nexus 7 and TF Prime tabs for quite a while. Very happy with both.

combat_chuck

Reaction score
So I'm guessing this has very limited apps like the first kindle fire? If so, can it be rooted and run a ICS or JB rom? Seems like it could with 1GB of memory. Idk anything about that processor though.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
combat_chuck said:
So I'm guessing this has very limited apps like the first kindle fire? If so, can it be rooted and run a ICS or JB rom? Seems like it could with 1GB of memory. Idk anything about that processor though.

the omap 4470 is supposed to outperform the Tegra3 from what ibhave heard. so for the price this tablet looks pretty good. now if I could root it and install jellybean id be all over it

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Gotta hand it to Amazon for stepping up their game and making decent improvements and releasing a good selection of devices. They aren't for me. But are great for what they are.

GBH2

Reaction score
Mr. Bezos announces the Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE. It has 32 gigabytes of memory and will cost $499. The data plan will cost $50 a year for 250 megabytes. It ships Nov. 20 and can be ordered today.

Wait... is that $50 for 250 MB /month or /per year?
250MB per year? That can't right?

I still wouldn't get a Kindle but this has to make Apple worry a little. A tab not even an inch smaller then iPad, from Amazon, for $299???
They better come big next week.

I hate to see Apple fade. I love competition. But this, in addition to other tablet makers hitting the $300 price for 10" tabs??? Could be back to the niche market for you, Apple.

1 time $50 payment for: 250 MB a month for 12 months.

This is a pretty big deal. That is like a $200 value for $50 right there.

If I was in the market for a 4G connected tablet I would definitely seriously consider this.

acousticshade

Reaction score
droidxd00d said:
the omap 4470 is supposed to outperform the Tegra3 from what ibhave heard. so for the price this tablet looks pretty good. now if I could root it and install jellybean id be all over it

I don't think that's correct. The 4470 is a single core while the T3 is quad core. It will probably be faster for single core stuff like surfing but would get bogged down with games or multitasking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would expect this though. The fire is more designed as a reader/media consumption device whereas the n7 can do that and everything else. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good upgrade for the fire & some will prefer it over the n7 (especially since it has 8g more storage at the same price), but I need a tab for gaming, media consumption and office use. The n7 fits that bill & is a nexus device so will probably be a bit more future proof than the fire.