Amazon Appstore More Profitable for Developers Than Android Market

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
distimo1.jpeg

Many developers are finding out that Amazon's Appstore is a lot more lucrative for them than the Android Market. Distimo, a market app analytics firm, said that of the top 110 apps that appear in both Android Market and Amazon Appstore, 42 of them make more money on Amazon than on Android Market. The overall picture reveals that 28% of the revenue in those top apps came from Amazon Appstore. Whats more intriguing is that the Appstore is less than a year old with 26,826 available applications compared to more than 400,000 for the Android Market.

Amazon's Appstore is a great place for paid downloads versus the Android Markets higher in-app purchase rate. Distimo said paid apps in Amazon Appstore made up 65% of all apps, while the percentage of paid apps in Android Market sits at 32%. Of the top 200 grossing Android Market apps, 66% of the revenue comes from in-app purchase. That is a pretty striking difference. An interesting factoid that Distimo revealed is that 50% of the apps in the Appstore don't appear in the Android Market. This suggests that devs are simply skipping the Android Market altogether and just going straight to the Amazon Appstore.

Do you prefer the Appstore to the Market?

Source: GigaOm

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I use the Amazon AppStore mainly for the free app of the day, but when I purchase and app, I check for it on the Android Market first. Updates are a pain in the butt on Amazon's app which deters me.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea i only check the amazon app store for that free app of the day and do all my downloading in the android market but after looking at the developer setup there i prefer the amazon app store looks like they just charge $99 a year to upload your apps and it doesn't look like they take a percent of your profits like the android market does. So that $99 a year is definately a lot better for me than the one time $25 bucks and 33% of all profits the android market takes. So look for boot manager and my future 6 apps that we're getting ready to release in the amazon market as well :happy3:

Looks to me like amazon app store is much better for devs but i'll update you guys once i get signed up there

Edit
Figured that was too good to be true ha still got excited but from their faq

Amazon pays developers 70% of the sale price of the app or 20% of the list price, whichever is greater.

So looks like they still take 30% which is just 3% lower than the android market

So I honestly don't know that i'll be listing apps there just cause i feel like most of the root community uses the android market and i'd have to rewrite all my security classes to work with the amazon app store for 3% more than the android market not to mention maintaining both markets since i do actually read every comment we get ha

Last edited:

g_what

Reaction score
I use the Amazon Appstore almost exclusively for the Free App of the Day. Otherwise, it's all about the Android Market. Updates are much better from the Market (as was stated by johnomaz).

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use the Amazon Appstore almost exclusively for the Free App of the Day. Otherwise, it's all about the Android Market. Updates are much better from the Market (as was stated by johnomaz).

Same here, plus when I use the Market on the web, it's easier to install the app than via Amazon. Yeah, not that hard, but you have to go to the Amazon app, install and give permission.

Sal R.

Reaction score
Market updates from the Amazon Appstore is too much a pita.

Not to mention I can browse apps on the web more easy and install onto my device via Market.

jerkwad

Reaction score
why can't they spell "downloads" correctly? sheesh!

i hate the amazon app - its horrible interface, older versions, nagging notifications, inability to remove an app from the "My Apps" Section, blah blah blah, are just a few of the reasons why i don't even bother with the free apps at this point. I'm quite surprised to see Amazon's AppStore have such success. Are there that many Kindle Fire's out there to contribute to such a high rate of sales?!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never used Amazon for apps. I know about the free app of the day but that still hasn't made me go that way.

rdgxray

Reaction score
Sometimes Amazon has apps marketplace doesn't. Like a paid ad free version of angry birds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
i know another reason the amazon app store might have an advantage over the the android market, has anyone ever noticed that developers offer a lot more promotional discounts on their paid apps there

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've never used Amazon for apps. I know about the free app of the day but that still hasn't made me go that way.

It was worth it in the beginning when some actual good apps were for free. Now, its a lot of apps that don't work that well, are clones of good apps or are just not good. I rarely get the free app these days.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It was worth it in the beginning when some actual good apps were for free. Now, its a lot of apps that don't work that well, are clones of good apps or are just not good. I rarely get the free app these days.

Yea same its usually not good but I did pick up docs 2 go or whatever that app with word and what not was when that was free so that was cool

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz