Amazon app store sucking battery

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Anyone else with the Amazon app store notice it using a lot of battery. It is always up there at the top just under Android system and Android kernal usually between 13-15%. I use this app once a day... to see if their free app of the day is worth it (usually not). I turned off all notifications thinking the app was constantly checking for updates in the background. That made no difference. I started force closing it. It just gets up and going again. I have set up in task manager to stop running when screen is off. Nothing has made any difference. I actually just uninstalled the app only to discover that the one app I do use that I got for free (enhanced email) won't work without Amazon app store installed.

Does anyone else notice this app using a good percent of battery in comparison to other apps? FoxKat, do you have any ideas as to what I can do so this is not using so much battery or why it is? Do you think using 15% is really decreasing how much time I get out of a charge?

Thanks all!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Reaction score
I have always used Amazon appstore for the faotd and have never had the issue you describe. I have never even seen it show up in the list of what is using the battery so it is obviously using less than 2%. I have notifications turned on and i usually get a notification every other day about one of my apps having an update and i open amazon several times a day.

I know none of this helps you but i just wanted to point out that it is not normal and may just be a bug in your phone.

Although, you did mention an app you have does not work if you remove three amazon store. Perhaps that app is causing the issue but it is reporting as the appstore in your battery stats. If you can live without it, i would suggest you remove that app for a day or so and keep Amazon installed and see what happens. I have removed Amazon from time to time and it never caused one of my free apps to fail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Jungle King 76 said:
I have always used Amazon appstore for the faotd and have never had the issue you describe. I have never even seen it show up in the list of what is using the battery so it is obviously using less than 2%. I have notifications turned on and i usually get a notification every other day about one of my apps having an update and i open amazon several times a day.

I know none of this helps you but i just wanted to point out that it is not normal and may just be a bug in your phone.

Although, you did mention an app you have does not work if you remove three amazon store. Perhaps that app is causing the issue but it is reporting as the appstore in your battery stats. If you can live without it, i would suggest you remove that app for a day or so and keep Amazon installed and see what happens. I have removed Amazon from time to time and it never caused one of my free apps to fail.

Wow, this is very interesting. Thank you for this information, especially knowing that it is not typical behavior... it is very helpful.

When I tried to open my enhanced email app, I thought "drat, I can't use my faotd without Amazon app store installed, ugh!" You may be right...that it is enhanced email being dependent on Amazon that is causing the battery usage. Yet enhanced email only uses about 1%.

I'm going to uninstall Amazon AppStore and see if any of the faotd work without it (just to see if it is only the enhanced email that mysteriously does). Then I may do as you suggested except I hate losing enhanced email and then possibly having to set it back up again.

Thanks again!

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It seems that so far all my faotd's require me to have Amazon AppStore installed.

Reaction score
It seems that so far all my faotd's require me to have Amazon AppStore installed.

Well, there goes that theory. Lol.

As for the apps not working, i think i spoke too soon. I am rooted and always back up my apps. When i flash a new ROM or whatever, i restore some apps but not all and i have restored free apps without restoring amazon and they work fine. I just know that i have had faotd apps working without the appstore.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
How many apps do you have on your phone that came from the Amazon app? Remember, that for authentication purpose it has to reference the app. So it's possible one of those apps are doing a shotty job at it, and having the app use more resources.

Another thing to see is if you're running the latest version. That should be 2.6.53. You can always uninstall the app, and install a fresh version of the latest release here:
Install Amazon® Appstore Some users have complained about it taking up a lot of battery.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
tjk629 said:
How many apps do you have on your phone that came from the Amazon app? Remember, that for authentication purpose it has to reference the app. So it's possible one of those apps are doing a shotty job at it, and having the app use more resources.

Another thing to see is if you're running the latest version. That should be 2.6.53. You can always uninstall the app, and install a fresh version of the latest release here:
Install Amazon® Appstore Some users have complained about it taking up a lot of battery.

Well, I have about 20 apps installed through Amazon AppStore (AAS) with only about 5 that I use on a regular basis. I am going to go through the ones I never use and delete them. I believe you may be right, one of my AAS apps is doing a lousy job referencing AAS. I'm guessing it may be enhanced email because I use that every day.

I am on the current version but it is possible I was not before today (because I uninstalled it then re-installed it a few times today). It seems to be doing better since I did that but I will see what it shows after a new charge cycle.

I have been fighting with AAS for over a week and I hate getting rid of it so if worse comes to worse I'll get rid of problem apps that are messing it up.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I have about 15 Amazon apps on my Bionic - all are FAOTD. I don't remember ever seeing Amazon in my top battery usage stats, so I agree - sounds like it may be a specific app.

Also, I learned the hard way how task killers can actually INCREASE battery usage. Some apps "auto start" on their own (as you mention). So a task killer that auto kills them, only to have them auto start again, then be killed again, on and on and on, is a big battery drain. Very counterproductive to say the least!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Well, I have about 20 apps installed through Amazon AppStore (AAS) with only about 5 that I use on a regular basis. I am going to go through the ones I never use and delete them. I believe you may be right, one of my AAS apps is doing a lousy job referencing AAS. I'm guessing it may be enhanced email because I use that every day.

I am on the current version but it is possible I was not before today (because I uninstalled it then re-installed it a few times today). It seems to be doing better since I did that but I will see what it shows after a new charge cycle.

I have been fighting with AAS for over a week and I hate getting rid of it so if worse comes to worse I'll get rid of problem apps that are messing it up.

I don't think it's EM, cause I also use it, and it doesn't make AAS high.

Like I said, you aren't the only person having this issue. Others have as well, but it's random who has it and what not. Which leads me to believe it's some app that is messing it up.

Caren4u2

Reaction score
I just uninstalled it tonight. Already have noticed that my Bionic is running a LOT faster than before.

Yes, I ran into the same problem that some of my amazon downloaded apps will not work unless Amazon's appetite is downloaded and logged in.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
OK, big huge difference. I have been off the charger for almost 7 hours. It shows way down the list on the battery charts as only using 1.1% and 1 min 38 sec CPU use. Before, even though I only went into the app for less than 30 seconds to check for the faotd, it would be at 15% and 40 min usage. Now, o n the stock battery usage chart, AAS doesn't even register where before it was at the very top 2nd or 3rd highest usage. Obviously something was using it in the background.

This is what I did... I uninstalled AAS and re-installed it. I also uninstalled about 10 apps I never use. I have done nothing with the apps I do use, including enhanced email. The other thing I did was uninstall all apps that appear to be free from play store and seem to be installed from both play & AAS (evernote, Kindle, & mapquest). Then reinstalled them from play. But even though I installed them from play, in AAS these apps show they're installed and need an update (even though they are up to date in play).

Another strange thing, since re-installing AAS every time I open it, it disconnects my Wi-Fi and I have to toggle it back on again. No other apps have ever done that.
Anyway, anyone with problems try to uninstall AAS and then re-install it. See if there is any difference. So far big difference here.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Amazon AppStore still working as should. Phone has been off charger for 6 hours. I did my typical checking for the free app of the day (really stupid free apps lately). My battery stats show 0.4% use with 14 seconds CPU usage.

I also figured out why AAS kept disconnecting my Wi-Fi. I forgot that I had set up in juice defender to have it disable connecting to data or Wi-Fi if it tried in an effort to get it to stop using so much battery. Duh on me!

For anyone having this problem I would suggest uninstalling AAS and re-installing it. So far it seems to have worked for me.

Natey2

Reaction score
Amazon AppStore slows down device reboots too. It checks for updates for every app you have downloaded from them, and I recall seeing messages in my logcat logs for apps that had been uninstalled a long time ago too.

Note to people downloading every Free App Of The Day: There appears to be no way to get that list to become smaller for your account/device.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SteveIrv

Reaction score
I started having this problem last week on my Moto Droid2G. My battery will show 100%, two hours later I pick the phone up, it's warm to the touch, and my battery is showing 20%.....it ate up 80% of the battery in TWO hours. I check battery usage and see that the Amazon App Store app is at the top of the list and used 25% or more of my battery. Rebooting the phone takes car of it for a couple days and then away we go again.....

I'm going to start deleting all the apps I got from Amazon....

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have not had any problems with AAS since those I reported previously on this thread and I now use it as I used to. I think what my major culprit was at that time is that I had it set up in juice defender to disable it and every time AAS attempted to do its thing, it became a viscous battle between JD and AAS. If you are using an auto kill task manager or a battery saving app like JD that could be your culprit.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums