Amazing streaming capabilities...

billyk

Reaction score
I have been using my Bionic to stream Sirius radio for about 2 hours a day during my work commutes since release day. The Bionic has done a pretty good job of streaming, even though I drive through areas that force the Bionic to switch back/forth between 3G and 4G, and to deal with low signal areas. It would typically drop/recover once maybe twice an hour. Occasionally it would drop for a longer period, but it was hard to tell if it was due to the Sirius app, as the app would become unstable and eventually FC.

Yesterday I read a post about switching the battery mode to the Performance setting, which, according to available info on the Bionic shouldn't make a difference for streaming during daytime hours (I had kept is set to the default Nighttime Saver setting).

Well, for the past two commutes it's been 100% perfect, even with the frequently changing network conditions. Amazing!

Fortunately, streaming for 2 hours only reduces my battery by about 20%, and that seems constant with the new Performance setting.

Derekweb

Reaction score
It is the app. I have had to reboot twice when Sirius switched from 3G to 4G as I was driving. No problems using other apps, Pandora, etc. It is amazing how bad that Sirius app is. No album covers, no real features. Its as if Sirius wants to go out of business by not competing with the other streaming apps, that may make satellite obsolete!

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
It is the app. I have had to reboot twice when Sirius switched from 3G to 4G as I was driving. No problems using other apps, Pandora, etc. It is amazing how bad that Sirius app is. No album covers, no real features. Its as if Sirius wants to go out of business by not competing with the other streaming apps, that may make satellite obsolete!

Agreed. The Sirius app sucks. Time will tell if the Performance setting has improved things for me. If this "zero-drop" trend continues for a couple of weeks, it will be hard to say that all drops are b/c of that crappy Sirius app.

Scribble

Reaction score
Yeah I've been pretty happy with the streaming. I live in the woods, so it used to be that I had to drive at least 15 minutes before it would get to a place where I could reliably stream... Now it does it from the moment I get into my car. (And it's not on 4g now or anything.)

I guess the speed of the phone lets it devote more time to downloads or something?