Alltel plan with Droid

bh1138

Reaction score
Alright this has probably been asked a lot already but after 6 phone calls to Verizon I am still not getting a straight answer. I am a current Alltel customer and I would like to get a Droid but stay on an Alltel plan. The first 3 people I talked to said I could do this and then I get a phone call today saying my order cannot be processed unless I switch to a Verizon plan. I have read that some of the features won't work. If so which ones?

Oh and uh, hi I'm new here and was going to be the new owner of 2 Droids tomorrow but now..............

RadiantX

Reaction score
It would seem to me that you could stay on the same plan if you already have a smartphone data plan.
I could be wrong though, some of the connection settings may be different still.

Donsell

Reaction score
I just did this, and it does switch you to a Verizon plan. I lost my 7pm nights, but that was the only change.

I was able to get a Droid on my Alltel plan without any changes. I kept my 7pm nights & weekends.

If I were you I'd go raise hell and get it back.

tracksprinter

Reaction score
I have the same question. Today i was told that i could get the phone for full retial price on ebay or where ever. They also told me that some features wont work on it like the GPS and google voice etc. Is this true because i dont want to spend that kind of money on a phone if it doesnt work?

CGLOCK

Reaction score
I am alltel customer in Springfield Missouri and my gps works great! Plus I save about 15 bux/month not going verizon plan. (DROID OWNER)

Guerrilla

Reaction score
I had a data plan with Alltel and upgraded to the Droid with Verizon. I kept my exact plan and renewed it for 2 more years. No extra charges, no change to my minutes or data, etc. I called Verizon and asked how they did phone upgrades compared to Alltel. The rep told me he could reset my phone upgrade date to buy a Droid. I went to the store the next day and got my Droid for $150 with my contract renewal.

If you do not already have a data plan I do not know for sure. I imagine if you're changing your plan (beyond adding a line) at all then you might have to change to a Verizon plan.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Alright this has probably been asked a lot already but after 6 phone calls to Verizon I am still not getting a straight answer. I am a current Alltel customer and I would like to get a Droid but stay on an Alltel plan. The first 3 people I talked to said I could do this and then I get a phone call today saying my order cannot be processed unless I switch to a Verizon plan. I have read that some of the features won't work. If so which ones?

Oh and uh, hi I'm new here and was going to be the new owner of 2 Droids tomorrow but now..............
Why would you want to stick with Altell? Verizon owns themm theres no reason.

tracksprinter

Reaction score
So u did not change your service to verison. This is where i keep getting confused because when i called verizon to try this they said i need to change to verizon in order to get the droid. So are you now with verizon but alltel honored your plan payment that u had with alltel?

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You should be able to. Verizon honored my surewest plan of unlimited anytime minutes and long distance. $44 a month. So when I got the droid, they just added the $29 to that. You just have to keep calling customer service until you get to a right que of someone that understands your plan.

swallman

Reaction score

Why would you want to stick with Altell? Verizon owns themm theres no reason.

It's not that they want to stick with Alltel, but they want to keep using their Alltel PLAN (grandfathered in). The Alltel plans were typically cheaper. For example, if I switched from my Alltel plan (3 Blackberries shared) to a similar Verizon plan, my monthly charge would go up $ 20.

Mojo

Reaction score
The information that was passed to me was that an alltel customer can keep their same plan, but it would still require a Verizon data plan of 29.99. This has not made a lot of since to us. Because if a alltel customer is on a smartchoice plan (I believe that is what they call their smartphone plans) that priceing includes the data plan. But we was told that it still requires a vzw data plan. I will go thru my emails and see if I can find excatly what it said.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The information that was passed to me was that an alltel customer can keep their same plan, but it would still require a Verizon data plan of 29.99. This has not made a lot of since to us. Because if a alltel customer is on a smartchoice plan (I believe that is what they call their smartphone plans) that priceing includes the data plan. But we was told that it still requires a vzw data plan. I will go thru my emails and see if I can find excatly what it said.

I believe this information is correct gixxer. With sure surewest my unlimited plan was flat rate $34. Surewest had no smart-phones just standard phones. After Verizon bought them they let me keep my unlimited plan and it stayed at the price as long as I used a standard phone. When I went with a smartphone (my old blackberry), they told me my plan would stay the same but I would have to add a data plan. So I guess all smartphones from verizon have a mandatory data plan.