All right, I give up...

djetch

Reaction score
*sigh*

I've been (just about) all over this forum with respect to taking my Droid 4 from GB to ICS. I thought I was on the right path but couldn't even get past the first step of this post before waiting for an hour or two killed my battery. Now I have what I believe is referred to as a "soft" bricked phone that I have brought back from the dead with a sacrificed Motorola USB cable.

I have re-tried doing both versions of the fast loader found in here. I have also tried the Simple Droid 4 Restore utility found here, and nothing is working. Everything is stalling out at various points.

Meanwhile the phone just shows all systems go for the AP Fastload Flash Mode. I know there are great discussions (at length) about this and troubleshooting it, I'm starting a new thread simply because I didn't want to get lost in the shuffle. If this is out of place please kindly let me know and I'll jump back in line with the others. As you can see I'm new to the board, but I thought I was tech savvy enough to handle doing this.....clearly I lack a certain quality.

Not sure what to do....

-Mat

patfactorx

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I ended up flashing Eclipse 1.3 and am happy to have a fully functioning GB rom with ICS themes.

audinutt

Reaction score
have you copied the update.zip to your sdcard and tried loading it via stock recovery?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

ab325

Reaction score
Have you installed the motorola drivers?

I ran into a problem at the step where you update from sd card, but was able to solve it by redownloading the file. Maybe your files didnt download properly.

kenji91

Reaction score
Where exactly did you get stuck?

I would make sure that your Motorola drivers are installed on your PC and try re-downloading the zip files. I had issues with the zip files not being completely downloaded and that caused me headaches.

Also, note that there may be a time when you will have to reboot manually and there's a time when you have to hit Vol + and Vol - when there's a green android with the triangle logo. Step #2 (from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/212634-simplified-211-update-guide.html ) takes a while, so be patient. After this, you should get the green droid with the triangle logo.

Don't worry about root - once on ICS, it's easy to get root.

One last thing... make sure you don't have too many folders on your external sd card. Stock recovery is limited to a certain number of folders so if you have your ICS zip file in a folder that is too far down, you won't be able to point recovery to it when it's that time.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Using the original method where does it get stuck at? It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to flash GB219.

You said you brought the phone back from the dead, are you able to turn it on and use it?

OP
djetch

djetch

Reaction score
have you copied the update.zip to your sdcard and tried loading it via stock recovery?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Yes I tried that but was never able to "find" the file or get the phone to see it (whichever it was...).

I'll give anything a shot right now...

Have you installed the motorola drivers?

I ran into a problem at the step where you update from sd card, but was able to solve it by redownloading the file. Maybe your files didnt download properly.

Yes I have the motorola drivers installed.

Where exactly did you get stuck?

I would make sure that your Motorola drivers are installed on your PC and try re-downloading the zip files. I had issues with the zip files not being completely downloaded and that caused me headaches.

Also, note that there may be a time when you will have to reboot manually and there's a time when you have to hit Vol + and Vol - when there's a green android with the triangle logo. Step #2 (from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/212634-simplified-211-update-guide.html ) takes a while, so be patient. After this, you should get the green droid with the triangle logo.

Don't worry about root - once on ICS, it's easy to get root.

One last thing... make sure you don't have too many folders on your external sd card. Stock recovery is limited to a certain number of folders so if you have your ICS zip file in a folder that is too far down, you won't be able to point recovery to it when it's that time.

I was getting stuck at the first step in the process where you a fastloading the GB219. It would get to 12/18 and then stall out until I stopped it. Yeah I could definitely do with trimming down the file/folder count on the external SDcard. I'll give this "simplified 211 update a shot in a bit.

Using the original method where does it get stuck at? It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to flash GB219.

You said you brought the phone back from the dead, are you able to turn it on and use it?

Oh no. I just meant that it wasn't out of power.