Airplane Mode & related issues

Raptor007

Reaction score
I have noticed a few issues with airplane mode lately. First sometimes it just doesn't transition to airplane mode, it says its on or its off but in either state its no reflecting in the signal meter.

Next issue is each night I put the phone in airplane mode and plug it in to charge, during the night I heard several "droid, droid, droid" sounds from the phone then its quiet (wife is getting annoyed) and finally the best part, since the phone is in airplane mode there is NO reason I should have a voicemail waiting for me since there is no cell signal to get a message with. Yet every morning I have a voicemail indicator waiting. I turn off airplane mode and voila, no voicemails at all.

My wife says, leave your droid downstairs, period.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Or just charge it off. Unlike the D1 and D2's you can charge the D3 in an off state. Just has a battery on the screen.

end of line...

OP
Raptor007

Raptor007

Reaction score
I have tried that, not sure why but mine powers back up from a powered off state when I charge it.

Blueshirt35

Reaction score
Hi - New to the forums and first smartphone. Wishing I never got this one and I've only had it a few days.

I am also having issues with airplane mode. It's turning itself on and I'm having problems getting it off. I don't know if it's "user error" or what.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you have only had it for a few days you can return it and get a different device.

OP, Have you tried sleep mode?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would try replacement. Or switch phones...the Bionic is right around the corner (we hope) so depending on when your 15 days is up that might be an option.

lunacie

Reaction score
Just put the phone in silent mode (volume all the way down). Alarm will still work.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
There's a volume rocker on the side of the phone that will solve all this....

Maverick0984

Reaction score
I have noticed a few issues with airplane mode lately. First sometimes it just doesn't transition to airplane mode, it says its on or its off but in either state its no reflecting in the signal meter.

Next issue is each night I put the phone in airplane mode and plug it in to charge, during the night I heard several "droid, droid, droid" sounds from the phone then its quiet (wife is getting annoyed) and finally the best part, since the phone is in airplane mode there is NO reason I should have a voicemail waiting for me since there is no cell signal to get a message with. Yet every morning I have a voicemail indicator waiting. I turn off airplane mode and voila, no voicemails at all.

My wife says, leave your droid downstairs, period.

Make sure you don't have any new voicemails that haven't been "read" yet. Google Voice, if you use it, might continually try and notify you, having nothing to do with cell signal.

PTGramma

Reaction score
airplane mode a problem for me, too.

I've had my bionic droid for 10 days, and mostly, like it, but I'm concerned that the airplane mode seems to set itself. On a different note, my 12 year old dog, totally deaf these days, cannot only hear the "droid chime," but will bark at it during the night. I now turn it off and leave it on charge overnight, but want to know what others do about the airplane mode setting.

Last edited:

PTGramma

Reaction score
The problem wasn't charging, the problem was putting the phone in "sleep" mode so it would be easily accessible and finding that it had set itself in airplane mode. Then, it wouldn't let me reset it. I'm starting to get the hang of this, but as my friends say, it is a steep learning curve.