After weeks...finally got my Droid!! Yay!!

Sal

Reaction score
I didn't grow up with this stuff. I've had to learn it the hard way!

I'm a 40ish chick who has a love-hate relationship with technology -- with boyfriends too, come to think of it (lol). Been hanging out here for a while, lurking, fascinated, fearful to jump into the modern world of the smartphone. I finally did it today and am happy but overwhelmed. I have many stupid questions, most of which I'm answering through trial and error. In that I'm between techno-savvy boyfriends at the moment, I plan on bugging ALL OF YOU with stuff I can't figure out myself!

xo Sal

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome to the Forum.....Bug Away...

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

Got one for you. How come only the two apps I've added today -- twitdroid and digital clock -- show up in my list of apps under "manage applications" within the settings menu? I was expecting to see at least my gmail or other OEM apps there. No?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

Got one for you. How come only the two apps I've added today -- twitdroid and digital clock -- show up in my list of apps under "manage applications" within the settings menu? I was expecting to see at least my gmail or other OEM apps there. No?

when in the apps list (under manage apps) press the menu button>filter, and you will have a few options.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I'm a 40ish chick who has a love-hate relationship with technology -- with boyfriends too, come to think of it (lol). Been hanging out here for a while, lurking, fascinated, fearful to jump into the modern world of the smartphone. I finally did it today and am happy but overwhelmed. I have many stupid questions, most of which I'm answering through trial and error. In that I'm between techno-savvy boyfriends at the moment, I plan on bugging ALL OF YOU with stuff I can't figure out myself!

xo Sal

Hey! I saw all of these guys FIRST!!! :rofl3: Seriously, welcome to the neighborhood, Sal! Good to have more chicks onboard! Glad you decided to quit lurking :ph34r: and jump on in. This is the best Droid community on the internet by far. Take your time and search the threads, especially the stickies and you'll be amazed at how much you can teach yourself! If you get stuck, just let someone know. Welcome and in case no one else tells you, the only thing more addicitng than that new Droid of yours is this forum! You'll learn something new every day... Enjoy yourself!

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

when in the apps list (under manage apps) press the menu button>filter, and you will have a few options.

Thanks. Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm definitely a newbie...

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

xo Sal

Hey! I saw all of these guys FIRST!!! :rofl3: Seriously, welcome to the neighborhood, Sal! Good to have more chicks onboard! Glad you decided to quit lurking :ph34r: and jump on in. This is the best Droid community on the internet by far. Take your time and search the threads, especially the stickies and you'll be amazed at how much you can teach yourself! If you get stuck, just let someone know. Welcome and in case no one else tells you, the only thing more addicitng than that new Droid of yours is this forum! You'll learn something new every day... Enjoy yourself!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Glad to get help from a gal. Though guys are good for at least (!?) two things: technology help and killing gnarly insects.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

It's not really a dumb question...it just takes time to get use to the OS. When the Droid was brand new there were a TON of questions whose answer was "press the menu button..." So keep that in mind if you're not seeing something that you think should be there... Chances are, if you hit the menu button, you'll get a whole bunch more options.

Oh yeah, and :welcome:

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

It's not really a dumb question...it just takes time to get use to the OS. When the Droid was brand new there were a TON of questions whose answer was "press the menu button..." So keep that in mind if you're not seeing something that you think should be there... Chances are, if you hit the menu button, you'll get a whole bunch more options.

Thanks for the welcome. I was reading that you need to go into Gmail's storage in "Manage apps" to clear it if the gmail sync locks up. Mine's preset to sync every 4 days...is that good, do you think?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another good tip to keep in mind is if you're trying to do something and you don't see how, long press on the item.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks for the welcome. I was reading that you need to go into Gmail's storage in "Manage apps" to clear it if the gmail sync locks up. Mine's preset to sync every 4 days...is that good, do you think?
If you go to Menu > settings> Accounts & sync.... your G-mail sync option will be right there. I leave mine to sync automatically, as I believe most due. :)

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

If you go to Menu > settings> Accounts & sync.... your G-mail sync option will be right there. I leave mine to sync automatically, as I believe most due. :)

There, where you indicated, mine was preset to auto-sync. But in my gmail app, it said that some of my labels were preset to sync every 4 days and some not at all. I guess I'd have to manually change those. (sorry to go off on a specific tangent in this "intro" thread)

cuskit

Reaction score
Sal - welcome to our insane world! I have no doubt within weeks you'll be popping in here to answer many of the noobie questions yourself! You can't help but learn here just by spending a few minutes a day here (okay, my name is mike and I spend hours a day on the DF and I'm looking for this therapy group to help me break this habit).. :)

You'll find many answers in the FAQ section Droid FAQ - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum where you can waste, er, I mean, umm, spend tons of time every day reading about a really wide assortment of stuff for your Droid.

And many of your questions might get better answered in specific forums, of which we have many.

Best thing to do is jump right in and start asking! Like you just did!

So - glad to have you on board!

Oh - I sync "automatically" (to answer your question). Really depends on how often you add/delete/change your info.. :) mikey

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

There, where you indicated, mine was preset to auto-sync. But in my gmail app, it said that some of my labels were preset to sync every 4 days and some not at all. I guess I'd have to manually change those. (sorry to go off on a specific tangent in this "intro" thread)
no tangent :) You're forgiven.

The other labels you're talking about are yours to manage.... Just wanted to make sure you had the sync to your phone enabled so you get your E-mails.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
Sal - welcome to our insane world! I have no doubt within weeks you'll be popping in here to answer many of the noobie questions yourself! You can't help but learn here just by spending a few minutes a day here (okay, my name is mike and I spend hours a day on the DF and I'm looking for this therapy group to help me break this habit).. :)

You'll find many answers in the FAQ section Droid FAQ - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum where you can waste, er, I mean, umm, spend tons of time every day reading about a really wide assortment of stuff for your Droid.

And many of your questions might get better answered in specific forums, of which we have many.

Best thing to do is jump right in and start asking! Like you just did!

So - glad to have you on board!

Oh - I sync "automatically" (to answer your question). Really depends on how often you add/delete/change your info.. :) mikey

Good advice. Thanks!