After reading still unsure what to purchase

kunzy

Reaction score
Ok, I own a droid X, which was my first smartphone, that I purchased the night it came out. I remember the news of the GN and couldnt wait like most people and thought that is it thats the one. Than the release came out of nowhere, I got super amped up again and went and looked at it and was VERY disappointed. Felt very fragile and ICS didn't do anything for me like owning a smartphone for the first time. I know most of the problems you see on this site, is the minority but for a price tag of 299.99 its not really doing much more than the DX that warrants that price. The Razr was an option only after the disappointment of the GN but to me the design is SIMILAR not the same a the DX. The unfortunate part is Verizon had NOTHING at CES that would get me excited for the near future. I'm not trying to say the GN and my DX are similar it just didn't do what the DX did when I waited for that. Now if the GN goes to 199.99, than yeah I'm in. My question would b if the GN sites go to 199.99 say around april/may is there any rumor of anything in mid summer for verizon worth waiting for ? As a side note my 3g signal sucks at home and at work so the 4g technology isn't that appealing

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you may just have to wait for the next wave of phones then. As for the price drop, who really knows, don't even think Verizon knows at this point about a price drop. If anything I would think a price drop to $249 would come first.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Mayze

Reaction score
Keep your DX until something you like is released. I hung on to my upgrade for many months until the release of the Gnex.

prowler85

Reaction score
If you don't have 4g then it's probably best to keep your DX then. 4g is definitely worth it imo if you have service in your area. I had the DX, a very nice phone, but it is nowhere close to the Nexus (processors, screen resolution, smoothness, OS to name a few).

And for the record, the price has dropped on a lot of sites - you can get it right now for $229 on Amazon.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I love the DX and going to the nexus definitely felt like getting a smartphone all over again! My DX was showing it's age! Ultimately of course, you have to figure out what you want. I loved my X and didn't know how I could part with it, and now I pick it up and wondered how in the world I loved it! ;)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

OP
K

kunzy

Reaction score
Thanks for your replys. It is a tough choice. I guess the other alternative would b to root my DX so I can play with it for a few more months....lol if I do that can I reset it back after rooting

What316

Reaction score
I paid $249 because of an upgrade, but I definitely would of paid $299. I'll be honest, I didnt like it the first few days. But that was because I loved my OG so much. But the more I got using it, I realized it was an amazing phone. I would get it, it's a hell of a machine lol.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I too was unsure about the GNex. I was looking at the Rezound myself. But now that i have it i couldnt imagine using any other device. You can tell that this a def a next gen phone. The OS is amazing and this phone uses it well. I was also worried about getting a faulty unit but i didnt lol which makes it that much better.

But in the end you have to get what u think you can live with.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I paid full retail for mine $653 out the door with the $50 Living Social voucher. I don't regret spending a penny of it. Very happy with my Nexus. DancingNexus

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I came from the DX2, and I can tell you it's worth the upgrade. I really liked the X2, but going to this phone was what I've been waiting for. I really haven't had any problems at all so far. This phone works awesome. I bought the GN for $249 with my upgrade, and sold the X2 for $180. I don't have 4G at my house, or at my work, but have it everywhere in between. :( It ends about 1/2 mile from my house. I can tell you, that on 4G, it's crazy fast compared to the Droid X. I had to put a rubber case on the back of it, because it felt a little slippery to me. I kept almost dropping it when I'd take it out of my pocket. After you do that, you won't even see the back. IMO, it's the best phone I've ever had, & I started with the OG the day it came out, and bought pretty much 1-2 phones a year since. I can see myself holding on to this one for at least a year though.

mtnbst

Reaction score
If you don't have 4g then it's probably best to keep your DX then. 4g is definitely worth it imo if you have service in your area. I had the DX, a very nice phone, but it is nowhere close to the Nexus (processors, screen resolution, smoothness, OS to name a few).

And for the record, the price has dropped on a lot of sites - you can get it right now for $229 on Amazon.

Couldn't agree more, loved my DX but it does not hold a candle to my GNex. I have excellent 4G coverage in my area, I know that has a lot to do with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
K

kunzy

Reaction score
You guys are starting to convince me a little especially being former DX owners. Didn't realize there were still some of us that were that loyal to the DX to give it praise so I really value your opinions of the GN. thanks everyone

prowler85

Reaction score
You guys are starting to convince me a little especially being former DX owners. Didn't realize there were still some of us that were that loyal to the DX to give it praise so I really value your opinions of the GN. thanks everyone

I loved my DX. Hated giving it to my 21 yr old daughter, as I know she won't treat it right and it's only a matter of time before she kills it. But honestly, the screen size and resolution alone make me not miss my DX. Not to mention how smooth the OS is, the camera is FANTASTIC (you just have to focus the first shot, then can take as many as you want that are awesome). And honestly, the camera on the DX was horrible (I think it's all Moto phone cameras). And yes, ICS just makes the phone feel complete and polished.

You could easily hold out, but if you are looking for an upgrade, trust me you won't be sorry. Sure you could wait six months and get a quad core, but it wouldn't have been designed to work with ICS as smoothly as this phone and honestly, quad cores won't be useful for a few years until the software takes advantage. So really there's no advantage in waiting - could be a good year until a better phone comes out, and with the incredible Dev support this phone is seeing should make it last much longer than other phones.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think one thing that the Nexus has over everything else is, 2 years from now, it'll still be getting updates and it will still have dev support just like the OG had.

There's really not many devices that you can say that about.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It is pretty funny to grab the old and once loved DX and compare it to the Nexus. It looks pretty dated at this point!