After 12 days I am returning TB. And it ain't the battery

alboboy10

Reaction score
(snip)Sound quality isn't GREAT it's a little more muffled than the DX, but it is definitely a very loud phone.

In what respect? I think the speakerbar sounds fantastic on speakerphone or especially when playing music. When I had both the test TBolt and my old Droid X, I played the same song side by side and the Tbolt really sounded great. (Hint: Flip open the kickstand for even better sound!)

Also, I think with Gingerbread, we'll be getting an EQ for the sound, which would be really cool.

Ye I noticed that as well, for music it sounds better with the kick stand open.

I'm not talking about speaker phone, just in general when you use the phone holding it your ear, my DX was a little clearer. My tb is louder but more distorted for voice calls, but I don't have the issue that people are complaining about where it's really low, muffled etc. I was just drawing a comparison to my DX.

OP
CsonkaBear

CsonkaBear

Reaction score
Whew! I am just now checking the forum and frankly I didn't expect this much response. Thanks to all who responded and I still love Verizon and HTC. I loved my D1 so much I went back to it in the interim.

I will try to respond to the posts that really caught my my eye, but all were great.

Yea I think I may return mine too. I don't know if it's worth the money with new phones right around the corner.

For $250 in my opinion it isn't ready for primetime. Plus locking in. Again.
u sure u dont have ur hand covering the speakers i had that problem but just moved my hands..im responding to the video calls i really like my tb so far

No sir. But thanks to your post I double checked it. I always enjoy kparks posts. :)

There is definitely a software bug with video recording. They will fix it. Yes, I think the phone was released in an incredibly sloppy fashion, almost telling us they know we will live with whatever slop they dump so long as it is 4G. No, I don't think the Dinc 2 is a step up from this phone.

I never said the Dinc2 was a "Step Up". But more practical for me at my job.

even if my phone does have a video recording audio issue..i dont think i care.. i rarely video record.. i did the other day tho.. you can hear the guy holding the phone pretty good.. but not the other guy... talking to the cam.. is that the issue??

if i wanna get good footage and audio.. i bust out my FLIP. the INC audio while video recording wasnt all that great either.

We all have our priorities. That would not be practical for me.

There is a Verizon release leak floating around here. It shows DINC2 to be released april 28

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Please let it be true. :)

Though I respect everyone's opinions and preferences for the features they want in their phones, I have to respectfully disagree with what some are saying about the launch of the Thunderbolt... honestly, there isn't a smartphone out there that has been released and had everything 100% perfect from day 1. Just a few examples that I can think of off the top of my noggin (and note, I am not stating everything wrong with the phone, just the big ones that I remember hearing about):

iPhone 4: Dropped calls due to poor antenna design
Droid Incredible: Poor battery life
Droid X: Exchange/Active Sync issues, Bad Screens
Galaxy S: GPS radio issues

I could probably go on, but no phone is perfect no matter whom the Manufacturer is. The problems with the TBolt (aside from what many are calling a wimpy battery) are 99% software based, meaning they can and will update and fix them.

HTC certainly seems to take their customers seriously as I was told by a couple of different reps that they had recieved many complaints (such as the mic mute when AUX cable is plugged into the phone) and were definately looking for a software update to resolve. Hell, my Droid X went through an update within a few days of its release for some issues, then more got fixed on the FroYo update.

I am going to stay the course with this phone. I'm getting 16 hour battery uptimes and have workarounds for most of the other minor issues I've seen (and reported to HTC, btw). I would encourage you to do the same.

John, you are the classiest poster ever. My phone has issues and I know returning it is the best option for me at this time.

But I will add, I would buy this phone again and I don't regret trying it. It's awesome.

^^ Now there's a sweet post. Agree 100%. Everyone's acting like HTC has all these problems. I've been here for awhile and everyone always thinks that about every phone that comes out. I'm happy with the Thunderbolt and I'm getting 15+ hour battery uptimes as well. People... we're never going to get a perfect phone!

Battery was GREAT in 3G. Not so much in 4G mode for me.

I also love my TB. I've had none of the problems people are mentioning. Perhaps it's device specific and has nothing to do with overall build.

I don't understand how some people could give up on such a terrific device without at least trying a replacement to see if it is the specific device having the problems.

To each his own I guess

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk Pro

Not giving up, just can't burn my upgrade option. Once again, awesome phone.

Things I would like fixed on this phone at the moment...the little internal free memory.
When I'm texting, I hit the back key and saves it as a draft, when I go back to the text and send it...when I go back to text the person, the same text keeps showing up. I have to reset the phone for that to go away.
After sending a text and hitting the back key, there is a bit of a lag sometimes going back to the home screen.
The keyboard also lags a little once in a while texting. Which is weird cause online it doesn't lag, but on text it does. Which is the exact opposite issue that my DX had.
Battery has improved drastically, can be improved a little more though.
Sound quality isn't GREAT it's a little more muffled than the DX, but it is definitely a very loud phone.

Ditto! :)

(snip)Sound quality isn't GREAT it's a little more muffled than the DX, but it is definitely a very loud phone.

In what respect? I think the speakerbar sounds fantastic on speakerphone or especially when playing music. When I had both the test TBolt and my old Droid X, I played the same song side by side and the Tbolt really sounded great. (Hint: Flip open the kickstand for even better sound!)

Also, I think with Gingerbread, we'll be getting an EQ for the sound, which would be really cool.

EQ and other updates in the pipeline will make this phone unbelievable. I wish mine would have worked out on the first try, but I depend on my phone. My D1 is dependable but now I have tasted new.

I am ruined......

Thanks guys. I will never bash this phone. I also plan to buy another HTC phone as soon as I can. For now, probably a newer used Incredible.

Last edited:

scubabri

Reaction score
two things have annoyed me, I cant upload videos to youtube via 3g or 4g and skype is disabled for voice over 3g/4g not to mention lack of video. The 4G and front camera for skype was the main reason I chose this over the iPhone, and neither work. :(

F

FlyFishinX2

Wow I'm glad a csonka isn't on my team, no one wants a quitter on their.team...and it appears you've given up too soon, per VZW an update to fix the audio is in the works

sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using droid forums app

kparks

Reaction score
Csonka so what phone are you waiting for then? I can see what u mean by the video rec its not the best but I won't be using it a lot. My Main thing on buying was 4G and the fact that it is a great phone and will hold me over till sumn that is really amazing comes along can't imagine what will be available in 20 month.. and I have friends that will let me use there upgrade and give me the phone ;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

newtsevo

Reaction score
VZW is getting the incredible 2 or hd or whatever. I've seen and played with the phone. Some major bugs still but I liked the 4 soft keys rotating with the screen. It's a nice touch. It's really thin and feels like solid phone

Reaction score
VZW is getting the incredible 2 or hd or whatever. I've seen and played with the phone. Some major bugs still but I liked the 4 soft keys rotating with the screen. It's a nice touch. It's really thin and feels like solid phone

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the DInc over my Droid X. My taste is definitely in-line with HTC Sense and not MotoBlur

two things have annoyed me, I cant upload videos to youtube via 3g or 4g and skype is disabled for voice over 3g/4g not to mention lack of video. The 4G and front camera for skype was the main reason I chose this over the iPhone, and neither work. :(

On the Skype deal, I have to believe they are close... They never promised it with the release of the TBolt, but I think they will still release it 1st on the Tbolt... I did catch a YouTube Video with someone from Skype that had it working on their Prototype TBolt.

Wow I'm glad a csonka isn't on my team, no one wants a quitter on their.team...and it appears you've given up too soon, per VZW an update to fix the audio is in the works

He's certainly within his right, and I don't see it as him giving up, rather him wanting this to perform like the very best it can be. It's kind of like when they say "Never buy the first model year of any vehicle, they will always have lots of recalls/service bulletins."

OP
CsonkaBear

CsonkaBear

Reaction score
Csonka so what phone are you waiting for then? I can see what u mean by the video rec its not the best but I won't be using it a lot. My Main thing on buying was 4G and the fact that it is a great phone and will hold me over till sumn that is really amazing comes along can't imagine what will be available in 20 month.. and I have friends that will let me use there upgrade and give me the phone ;)

I want the Incredible 2. It would be perfect for me.

I hope my rep is wrong and it comes to VZW.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the DInc over my Droid X. My taste is definitely in-line with HTC Sense and not MotoBlur

On the Skype deal, I have to believe they are close... They never promised it with the release of the TBolt, but I think they will still release it 1st on the Tbolt... I did catch a YouTube Video with someone from Skype that had it working on their Prototype TBolt.

He's certainly within his right, and I don't see it as him giving up, rather him wanting this to perform like the very best it can be. It's kind of like when they say "Never buy the first model year of any vehicle, they will always have lots of recalls/service bulletins."

Ah, Yes! Recalls and bulletins. I deal with that every day.

OP
CsonkaBear

CsonkaBear

Reaction score
Follow up/ Final thoughts

The Thunderbolt went back today and I was charged a restocking fee. Oh well. The guy also refused to allow me to return the unused screen protectors. Cha ching, another $20.

Bottom line: I paid $55 to try a TB for 12 days.

Bottom line for sales guy: He just lost a customer. I had just burned one upgrade buying an Incredible a week before the TB came out along with a $100 protection plan. My wife's Incredible now.

I now have my old phone. My wife has a new phone. I'm out a total of $200 + tax. :icon_eek: That's what I get for being a phone geek.

On a better note, I got a line on a "Gently used" Incredible, so all is not lost.

In the end (if all goes well) I will be out about $400 and still waiting for my next dream phone. No No No...not that one. The one after that, lol.

Such is life.....

Happy Droiding, all.

i-phone? Nevvvaaaaaa :icon_evil:

Any TB owners need some new screen protectors? Johnboy??? They are free. dancedroid

kparks

Reaction score
Lol what kind I think I got the cheapest ones ever cuz I was not sure I would like the phone.

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt went back today and I was charged a restocking fee. Oh well. The guy also refused to allow me to return the unused screen protectors. Cha ching, another $20.

Bottom line: I paid $55 to try a TB for 12 days.

Bottom line for sales guy: He just lost a customer. I had just burned one upgrade buying an Incredible a week before the TB came out along with a $100 protection plan. My wife's Incredible now.

I now have my old phone. My wife has a new phone. I'm out a total of $200 + tax. :icon_eek: That's what I get for being a phone geek.

On a better note, I got a line on a "Gently used" Incredible, so all is not lost.

In the end (if all goes well) I will be out about $400 and still waiting for my next dream phone. No No No...not that one. The one after that, lol.

Such is life.....

Happy Droiding, all.

i-phone? Nevvvaaaaaa :icon_evil:

Any TB owners need some new screen protectors? Johnboy??? They are free. dancedroid

I am selling my Droid X on eBay, the auction is about to end. Lots of extras with it... if it doesn't sell tonight, I would be willing to do a private sale if you are at all interested. I am asking $400 obo on eBay. :D

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i sold my droid x to ebay's instant sale for 241 without any fees and no accessories, even kept the sd card.

kparks

Reaction score
If u got them and just giving them away ill take em