Advanced task killer/apps running

pax

Reaction score
Here is the problem though, before I got Atk my battery would wear out in no time. Now with using this and leaving the applications I need running my battery will last all day. I don't have anything set up on my calendar or alarm and what not. There shouldn't be any reason for them to run at all. I understand that some applications need to run together, however why aren't they closing when they are done? Why have stuff that is not used constantly running and draining my battery? Something needs to change on this so that the battery lasts like my battery does with the atk.

What does your phone say is using the battery? Working from hard data is usually more effective than shotgunning and just trying different things.

It says the display is at 61%, Browser is at 19% (which I am closing), Android system 8%, Cell standby 4%, msn talk 3%, Voice Search 3% (why is this app even open?), Phone Idle 2%, ATK 2%.

Of course I am still working on figuring things out for my phone, but what I am centered around lately is to get the battery to last longer. I have and am still doing the battery drain to where the phone shuts off and then charging it overnight so it trains the battery. I just wish it would last longer.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is the problem though, before I got Atk my battery would wear out in no time. Now with using this and leaving the applications I need running my battery will last all day. I don't have anything set up on my calendar or alarm and what not. There shouldn't be any reason for them to run at all. I understand that some applications need to run together, however why aren't they closing when they are done? Why have stuff that is not used constantly running and draining my battery? Something needs to change on this so that the battery lasts like my battery does with the atk.

What does your phone say is using the battery? Working from hard data is usually more effective than shotgunning and just trying different things.

It says the display is at 61%, Browser is at 19% (which I am closing), Android system 8%, Cell standby 4%, msn talk 3%, Voice Search 3% (why is this app even open?), Phone Idle 2%, ATK 2%.

Of course I am still working on figuring things out for my phone, but what I am centered around lately is to get the battery to last longer. I have and am still doing the battery drain to where the phone shuts off and then charging it overnight so it trains the battery. I just wish it would last longer.

Your browser will stop using battery power if you stop browsing. You don't need to kill it. And your display will stop using battery power if you stop looking at your phone. If that seems extreme, try setting the display to a dimmer setting.

If you're absolutely committed to managing this stuff, I suggest you replace ATK with an app called "System Panel." It will allow you to kill tasks if you insist on doing so. It will use about the same battery charge as ATK and it will provide you with a far better UI to see what your phone is actually doing.

If you keep an eye on the processes running on your phone you'll be able to see which are actually using cpu cycles versus those that are simply sitting in memory and doing no harm.

pax

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I just do a lot on my phone, so I am always looking at the best way to make it run better. :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I just do a lot on my phone, so I am always looking at the best way to make it run better. :)

Didn't mean to sound snarky in my response. Just keep in mind that using your phone uses your battery and the greatest single battery drain is almost always your display.

Unusual battery drains usually include (a) GPS seeking a signal; (b) Wifi seeking a signal; (c) 3G seeking a signal; and (d) apps that "synch" or download data (e.g. news feeds, facebook updates, etc.) whether you're using them or not. You can usually control all of these with the standard power widget.

Another well-known power drain is the use of navigation. It combines the drains associated with seeking GPS location data and downloading map information. It can be a battery killer relatively quickly. If you're going to use it, get a cable or plug for your car's lighter and use it only when you have power.

Finally, do yourself a favor a buy an additional battery. They sell for less than $15 on Amazon. Throw in a standalone battery charger for another $15 and you've solved your battery problem indefinitely if you can get to a charging source every day or so.