Adobe Officially Kills Flash for All Mobile Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not super familiar with how flash and html5 work but what is the benefit of this and also what is the downside?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Flash is a plugin. So in order to use it you have to have it. With HTML5 it would just be there. No need to go and download anything else.

Flash can be resource heavy and prone to security issues.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Flash is a plugin. So in order to use it you have to have it. With HTML5 it would just be there. No need to go and download anything else.

yeah, the security issues I am sure were a pretty big factor in the decision.

I have heard while HTML5 may be easier on the user front, for the developer it requires a lot more coding as opposed to flash, I am sure we have enough tech people here to elaborate more than what my incredibly limited brain knows about it.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

A lot of sites don't use HTML5, which is a huge drawback personally. I'm saving the Flash APK for future use.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

SixEighteen

Reaction score
The article states that the existing plugins for the Android and BlackBerry platforms will be given bug fixes and security updates, but further development will end. Does this have any ramifications for Ice Cream Sandwich? Will ICS and subsequent versions no longer be compatible with Flash?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think within a year it simply won't matter as most major sites will move to HTML5... maybe I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I get - especially now after Adobe's announcing this.

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think within a year it simply won't matter as most major sites will move to HTML5... maybe I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I get - especially now after Adobe's announcing this.

Yeah essentially Adobe just put everyone on notice to start the transition now.

AlexSB

Reaction score
Sooo does that mean Skyfire is coming to android =O

EDIT- it already is lol, so more people are gonna start using it now? I really liked dolphin browser hd

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Big Ry

Reaction score
What even uses flash? Barely anything right? So how is battery drain even an issue? I could understand the security issues...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

SixEighteen

Reaction score
What even uses flash? Barely anything right? So how is battery drain even an issue? I could understand the security issues...
Websites use Flash. The idea, though, is apparently to have websites switch to HTML5.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I liked having Flash available because sometimes I would see a link to an interesting video on my Twitter and not be able to wait to get home to watch it. Hopefully, sites will switch quickly to HTML5.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Flash has always been a buggy, bloated mess. I never used it on my phone and don't really visit sites that use too much of it. Sucks for Android users who actually use it, but HTML5 is definitely the standard of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.