Adjust Icon Grid Size?

DocTauri

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the grid size for the icons on the home screen? It apparently holds 9 icons on that screen, but with just a little reduction, we could fit another row. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doc

Zippster

Reaction score
This would be REALLLLY nice if we can do it, so much wasted space for needing just a little tweak.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hell i just found out that the google search was a widget and can be removed... lol.. but i would LOVE to make the grid size smaller.

Zippster

Reaction score
Hell i just found out that the google search was a widget and can be removed... lol.. but i would LOVE to make the grid size smaller.

Removing their widget makes the Google MAD! :icon_evil: You dont want to anger the Google.

lol

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well i want more damn room, and if i anger the googles to get it, then maybe they will readjust the dang grid size that's WAY too big.

ImmaMechE

Reaction score
I agree, there should be room for more apps. Though, doesn't the homescreen allow 12, not 9? (I'm assuming that the OP just wasn't paying the most attention.)

tablatronix

Reaction score
Because the screen has to rotate they seem to have made adjustments to the spacing on portrait ro accomodate that. It is kind of annoying though.

OP
D

DocTauri

Reaction score
<------ (see where it says Droid Newbie? Man is that the truth!)

This is day 2 with my droid and the android os, so I too didn't realize that the Google widget could be removed. This does allow for an extra row, but to be honest, if we could adjust the grid size, just a little, we could have 4 rows AND the Google widget. Hell, we could remove the Google widget and get 5 rows then!

Another newbie question: I have heard about Sherpa, and would like to try it, but can't find it in the app store. I went to the website, which emailed me a direct link to the appstore, and that failed too. Any idea what gives? Is it not available for droid, not in the us, or is it just not for me? ;-)

Thanks,
Doc

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OH i agree with you about the grid size.. was merely saying that removing the widget does help a little. I think there should be 5 rows not 4.

Geodelic

Reaction score
<------ (see where it says Droid Newbie? Man is that the truth!)

Another newbie question: I have heard about Sherpa, and would like to try it, but can't find it in the app store. I went to the website, which emailed me a direct link to the appstore, and that failed too. Any idea what gives? Is it not available for droid, not in the us, or is it just not for me? ;-)

Thanks,
Doc

Hi - Buddy from Geodelic here.

Sherpa is currently exclusive to T-Mobile's Android phones. However, we will be releasing a Geodelic app that works on many OS's and carriers in the near future.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I too would like to decrease the spacing...I'll post if I find something..

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah there are 16 spots available on the stock screen. It is 4x4. The reason for this is because when you rotate it to the side, the icons stay in the same order so it has to be a square. In order to make a 5th row, it would have to be 5x5 which would make them tiny to fit the short side of the screen.

Its kinda hard to explain.

Imagine 4x5 like you guys want and you have it setup like so:

[4x1 widget]
I I I I
C C C C
O O O O
N N N N

(each letter is an icon/app/single widget)

now rotate that on its side and keep the SAME layout.
[4x1 widget] (there is now an extra space NEXT to this widget..)
I I I I (another extra space here)
C C C C (another)
O O O O (another)

and you can't fit the N row because it is only 4 tall now.

So to keep everything in the same order it needs to be a square grid.