Addding New Notification Alert Sounds

pendetim

Reaction score
Hi,

I have figured out how to add new ringtones to my Droid X2 but am stumped how to ad new alert sounds.

For instance if I want to select a different Gmail Notification "Ringtone" it is only giving me the option to select one of the ringtones that came with the phone. None of the Ringtones I added to my SD card that are avaiable for my contact list show up under the G-mail settings.

Is there any fix for that?

jleeusa

Reaction score
You have to put them in the notification folder on your SD card, not just the media folder. I'm on OG Droid so I hope this is the same and helpful.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
P

pendetim

Reaction score
You have to put them in the notification folder on your SD card, not just the media folder. I'm on OG Droid so I hope this is the same and helpful.

There is no folder called "notification" on my SD card. What would the path be for that if I were to create one manually? I currently have a media/audio/ringtones .

Would it be media/audio/notifications ?????? or something else?

vvildcard

Reaction score
There's no official place where a ringtone has to be... the SDCard is scanned for files that can be used as ringtones and they're automatically added to the list.

A folder called /mnt/sdcard/notifications is just nice because it's easy to find and recognize.

jleeusa

Reaction score
I would add it then to the path you listed. Maybe the default notification folder is in a system folder. Adding that folder to SD card should work. Good luck.

OP
P

pendetim

Reaction score
I would add it then to the path you listed. Maybe the default notification folder is in a system folder. Adding that folder to SD card should work. Good luck.

Thanks, That path worked.

Now a related question:

If I e-mail a sound_bite.wav file to my self, I can open and play the wav file on my X2 but can't for the life of me find the correct "raindance" to save it on the device? Has Verizon crippled this feature?

Using the USB cable, I can transfer files but e-mail is a bit more convenient for a quick one item transfer.

Tim

OP
P

pendetim

Reaction score
There's no official place where a ringtone has to be... the SDCard is scanned for files that can be used as ringtones and they're automatically added to the list.

A folder called /mnt/sdcard/notifications is just nice because it's easy to find and recognize.

Funny thing: The tone I wanted did not show up in GMail ( or Weatherbug) when it was under the "ringtones" folder. When I created a folder "media/audio/notifications" and put a copy there, it then appeared for GMial and others.

vvildcard

Reaction score
Probably a permissions issue. If I had to guess, it would be something like this: /media/audio/ringtones is probably owned by root... but when you create /media/audio/notifications, it would be owned by your user. Programs running under your user will not check folders owned by root.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
Ringtones notifications and alarms, these phones,should ship with those folders for,normal folks.

OP
P

pendetim

Reaction score
Probably a permissions issue. If I had to guess, it would be something like this: /media/audio/ringtones is probably owned by root... but when you create /media/audio/notifications, it would be owned by your user. Programs running under your user will not check folders owned by root.
I was the one who created the media/audio/ringtones and the media/audio/notifications folders on the SD card- They did not appear until I created them so I am not sure about root ownership here.

I also made a media/auido/alerts folder and put a wav file in it. This file did not show up for a contact ringtone or a Gmail new-mail sound.

It appears, at least I am assuming, that the ringtones, notifications and alerts folders are used for specific sound events by applications.

Ringdroid app does seem to have the ability to move sound files between alerts, ringtones and notifications.