Ad Blocker ruining my phone!

b.rockinit

Reaction score
Ok, I am an idiot when it comes to phones and I have no idea how to fix the mess I've gotten myself into! I have a fairly new Verizon Droid 2 Global which I installed a free ad blocking program a few weeks ago. I turned around and deleted the program 10 min later and now have no idea what the name of the app was :icon_eek:

Since I've deleted that app, it's still blocking things on my other apps which make them basically non functional. TMZ, MSNBC's app and Craigslist all show dead links now when I try navigating around. All of these apps started acting up the day I installed the ad blocker and never went back to normal after I uninstalled it. I know it's still "working" because my Angry Birds app is still blocking ads.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to get this ad blocking program completely removed from my phone?? Would a factory reset work? Obviously I'm phone/computer illiterate, so anything too complicated will confuse me. Thanks for any advise you guys might have :)

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
A factory reset would work, but probably not needed. Just try some app blocker apps from the market to see if they have a revert option.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Create a text file call "hosts" and put in the following entry:

Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Save this text file on your SD card. Go into Root Explorer, click on Mount R/W at the top. Copy the hosts file from your sdcard and paste it into a folder called etc to overwrite the existing hosts file.

OP
B

b.rockinit

Reaction score
Tried the advice above but still no luck...

Thanks for the help you guys. I finally got a chance to try this out and I am running into more problems. First off, I tried a factory reset and used a new google account when I setup the phone to make sure it wasn't trying to install my old apps that may have been sync'd... Everything appears to be gone when I look at my apps, but the ad's are still missing on apps which should have them (angry birds, etc.) which means my other apps msnbc, CL, TMZ are still not working (I reinstalled them and checked)... I connected the phone to my computer and see a bunch of folders for old apps that should have been erased... including apps I uninstalled almost 2 months ago. BTW, I did a second factory reset just to make sure, and these files are still there. I also noticed that none of my apps are on the SD card, is that normal?

As for the Root Explorer option, I paid for the app and started it... but all I see at the top is a: / and just under that it says 'mounted r/o' then lists a bunch of different folders (acct, cache,cdrom, etc). I'm not sure where to click on the mount R/W at the top. Like I said, I'm pretty much phone/computer illiterate, so any detailed steps you have would be awesome.

Thanks for all the help with trying to get my phone functional again :)

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Is your phone rooted? If not you will not get the option in Root explorer that you are looking for.

OP
B

b.rockinit

Reaction score
Nope, it was rooted before I did the factory reset... I think I still have the z4root file or whatever it's called. I will try to root the phone tonight... thanks for the tip!