Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
_85803032_85802887.jpg
ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Paul Walker's daughter sued Porsche for wrongful death Monday, claiming the sports car that her father was in when he was killed suffered from numerous design defects.

The lawsuit filed by Meadow Rain Walker seeks unspecified damages for defects that her lawyers claim kept the actor trapped in the Porsche Carrera GT when it crashed and burst into flames in November 2013.

Walker was on a break from filming the seventh film in the "Fast & Furious" franchise when he was killed. He was riding in the Carrera GT driven by friend and business associate Roger Rodas when the car spun out of control, struck three trees and burst into flames on a street in Santa Clarita, California.

The wrongful-death suit claims the car, which was marketed as a street-legal race car, lacked a proper stability control system and safeguards to protect occupants and keep it from catching fire after a collision.

"Absent these defects in the Porsche Carrera GT, Paul Walker would be alive today," the lawsuit states.

An email sent to representatives of Porsche Cars North America was not immediately returned.

The 18-page lawsuit includes a detailed recounting of the crash and contends that the Porsche was traveling 63 to 71 mph (101 to 114 kph) when it spun out of control.

Investigators concluded the Porsche was going much faster — up to 94 mph (151 kph) — when it crashed.

The investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and California Highway Patrol concluded that it was unsafe speed and not mechanical problems that caused the crash. That investigation was aided by engineers from Porsche, who evaluated the wreckage of the rare car.

Meadow Walker's lawsuit contends Porsche didn't include a stability control system in the Carrera GT model Rodas was driving but includes it in other models. It also claims the car lacked proper reinforcements in its doors and used rubber fuel lines that didn't break free to prevent a fire in a crash.

Similar allegations of design and safety defects were included in a wrongful death lawsuit by Rodas' widow, Kristine Rodas, that remains pending in a federal court in Los Angeles. Rodas was trained as a race car driver and was only driving 55 mph (89 kph), according to his wife's lawsuit. He left behind two young children when he died.

Walker, the star of the "Fast & Furious" film franchise, co-owned an auto racing team with Rodas named Always Evolving. Meadow Walker, 16, is the sole heir of his estate.

Walker's two brothers helped complete action scenes in "Furious 7," which earned more than $1.5 billion globally after it was released in April.

-- © Associated Press 2015-09-29

Will Porsche settle or fight? What's your opinion?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Uhh ok.

Look I think many are sympathetic to what Paul Walker's daughter is going through. And for a 16 year old I really do not expect her to be able to balance reality with her emotions right now. For her that lawsuit may be a fight that is done to help her grieve.

But in all reality Paul Walker died from being reckless. The money he has along with the connections he could have rented time on a track and tested the car there where no one else was around, no trees, just barriers and a helmet. The fact he chose to make a careless mistake sadly cost him his life. Sadly there are many who do the same thing that Paul Walker did that had perished who you never heard of.

I understand wanting to test out a car as that is normal for most males. But we have to be smart about it. To do such a thing on a side street or road where others drive is selfish. Basically you are saying your desire to race outweighs the lives of others (potentially). If you can not take it to the track where the only lives in danger is your own then you risk the lives and safety of others.

Because she is a 16 yr old in grieving I am not going to pile on her but I have to say that the lawsuit is bogus. It is not Porsche's fault that Paul Walker decided to play Fast n Furious and wrapped himself around a tree. The only one who should be held accountable is Mr. Walker. Now if he was driving normally and the brakes gave out or something locked up beyond is control then I would support the lawsuit.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was under the impression that Walker was the passenger.

However, I still agree with you. I feel bad for her losing her father, but I'm not convinced that the vehicle was going the speed that they claim it was. Looking at how destroyed it was, I'd guess it was going quite a bit faster than the 60 or so that's been claimed.

Of course, I'm no expert.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

However, I still agree with you. I feel bad for her losing her father, but I'm not convinced that the vehicle was going the speed that they claim it was. Looking at how destroyed it was, I'd guess it was going quite a bit faster than the 60 or so that's been claimed.

He may have been the passenger, I have to look at reports again.

But reports were saying the vehicle was going upwards of 90 mph. Those speeds are barely safe for an open highway (open like in Texas or Arkansas open where the roads are pretty much flat) that along doing that on a side street.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Correct, he was a passenger.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
He may have been the passenger, I have to look at reports again.

But reports were saying the vehicle was going upwards of 90 mph. Those speeds are barely safe for an open highway (open like in Texas or Arkansas open where the roads are pretty much flat) that along doing that on a side street.
Walker was on a break from filming the seventh film in the "Fast & Furious" franchise when he was killed. He was riding in the Carrera GT driven by friend and business associate Roger Rodas when the car spun out of control, struck three trees and burst into flames on a street in Santa Clarita, California.

From the article.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They were speeding in an urban area. If the car was not safe for law abiding speeds I don't believe Porche would have released it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmm this is tuff..I don't see how their "misuse" of the vehicle will make Porsche pay up...its a street legal race car<<<< that bothers me..if it were a street legal race car...I'd think a car with a roll cage integrated into it with ac and working windows and the necessary lighting systems...nit necessarily ac..but it is still a luxury sports car...

So I take a Shelby GT 500 super snake out and wrap it around a telephone pole..can I sure Shelby's estate?? Or Ford?? Yes they made the car so its fast..that's the allure and part of the 70k price tag(depending on year make and model)..its up to you to exercise judgement when operating the vehicle.. Just like a fire arm...you can't Sue glock every time a person doesn't exercise proper gun safety and shoots themselves in the foot..

I think she has people whispering in her ear and is doing what she's told..

I kinda think that the investigation couldn't have been conducted without bias if Porsche was involved...I know the car has its own form of little black boxes.. But to think that Porsche wouldn't try to cover their butts if there was an issue...we all know better..

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hmm this is tuff..I don't see how their "misuse" of the vehicle will make Porsche pay up...its a street legal race car<<<< that bothers me..if it were a street legal race car...I'd think a car with a roll cage integrated into it with ac and working windows and the necessary lighting systems...nit necessarily ac..but it is still a luxury sports car...

So I take a Shelby GT 500 super snake out and wrap it around a telephone pole..can I sure Shelby's estate?? Or Ford?? Yes they made the car so its fast..that's the allure and part of the 70k price tag(depending on year make and model)..its up to you to exercise judgement when operating the vehicle.. Just like a fire arm...you can't Sue glock every time a person doesn't exercise proper gun safety and shoots themselves in the foot..

I think she has people whispering in her ear and is doing what she's told..

I kinda think that the investigation couldn't have been conducted without bias if Porsche was involved...I know the car has its own form of little black boxes.. But to think that Porsche wouldn't try to cover their butts if there was an issue...we all know better..
I agree to that point but your firearm analogy if you take your weapon into a crowded area and start firing rounds then you should be liable for the damage you caused. If you are in your own backyard and I decide trespass when you are firing and I get shot it is on me. But if a weapon goes off on its own with a faulty safety mechanism then the manufacturer is liable.

I'm not saying that Porsche did not have an issue but he the driver was not in the right even if it was street legal. Street legal does not give you permission to drive at 90+ in an urban areas where the speed limit is probably 35 (not saying that is what you are saying). But I just feel like people are quick to blame others and not take personal responsibility.

There are times when manufacturers should be held liable for negligence but people need to be held accountable as well. If we continue to go after manufacturers every time someone does something stupid then we going to all be driving around in bubble cars that maxes out at 40 mph. Which is bogus because there are a lot of people who own sports cars who are responsible enough to know when and where to race and when to drive with common sense (same can be said with the gun argument).

Ok workout time. I rushed this last post so forgive all errors or anything that can be taken out of context because I'm not taking the time to proof read as I'm ready to hit this track and see how fast I can go. Or at least try to avoid getting lapped by senior citizens .

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I agree to that point but your firearm analogy if you take your weapon into a crowded area and start firing rounds then you should be liable for the damage you caused. If you are in your own backyard and I decide trespass when you are firing and I get shot it is on me. But if a weapon goes off on its own with a faulty safety mechanism then the manufacturer is liable.

I'm not saying that Porsche did not have an issue but he the driver was not in the right even if it was street legal. Street legal does not give you permission to drive at 90+ in an urban areas where the speed limit is probably 35 (not saying that is what you are saying). But I just feel like people are quick to blame others and not take personal responsibility.

There are times when manufacturers should be held liable for negligence but people need to be held accountable as well. If we continue to go after manufacturers every time someone does something stupid then we going to all be driving around in bubble cars that maxes out at 40 mph. Which is bogus because there are a lot of people who own sports cars who are responsible enough to know when and where to race and when to drive with common sense (same can be said with the gun argument).

Ok workout time. I rushed this last post so forgive all errors or anything that can be taken out of context because I'm not taking the time to proof read as I'm ready to hit this track and see how fast I can go. Or at least try to avoid getting lapped by senior citizens .
But if I fired rounds off in a public place..I'm still to blame..and going to jail..not the gun manufacturer..I didn't say the gun had a faulty safety..many people aren't careful with glock trigger safety's and wind up shooting themselves because they allow slight finger wrap on the trigger instead of no trigger contact until you're ready to engage..that's my point..I say this because last week my neighbor got a new glock 9mm and was "cleaning it" and fired off a round...he was used to a hard safety like that of a Berretta ..should've cleared the gun of all ammo anyhow to clean it..a situation like this...is my point..not a manufacturer defect..

Well..in this case..they could go after the driver for the damages..so it really doesn't change anything...the point wasn't the action of shooting..it was the action of negligence and not exercising restraint or using proper protocol..

I have a vehicle that is able to be driven fast...should I choose to do so...I do it at my own risk..should that impact others...then I would be held responsible..