Acer to Launch 10-inch Iconia A3 This Year & Plans to sell 10 Million

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
acer-tablet-pc.jpg

There is nothing wrong with aiming high, but some goals are a bit loftier than others. Acer's senior VP Scott Lin confirmed a new 10-inch Iconia A3 tablet will will be coming this summer. Furthermore, without divulging any specs or offering even a glimpse of the device he also shared Acer expects to sell 10 Million total tablets this year, and wants the A3 to contribute 2 Million of that 10 Million figure.

Despite these "pie in the sky" plans, the growth rate of Android tablets in general world-wide is increasing rapidly, so it is possible Acer could hit these goals. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Lin hopes it'll make up some of the 10 million slates the outfit aims to sell in 2013. He also announced a refresh for the $150 Iconia B1 this summer with a dual-core CPU, updated design and 1GB of ram, and said that 1.5 million units of that model have shipped so far this year. The company would like to move another 1.5 million by year's end along with 5 million of the recently announced 8-inch Iconia A1 tabs and 2 million Iconia A3s to make up the balance. Considering that competitor ASUS sold 3 million tablets in Q1 and has the hit Nexus 7 to peddle, it seems a lofty goal for Acer -- especially since it only reluctantly leaped into tablets not so long ago.

Source: AcerTabletForum via Engadget

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
1gig of ram = fail. How many devices out there have 1 gig of ram and show signs of performance issues?

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
1gig of ram = fail. How many devices out there have 1 gig of ram and show signs of performance issues?

What does the amount of RAM have to do with that? If they're running DDR1 chips then that's probably causing issues, but both my Droid Bionic and my Nexus 7 have 1 gigabyte of RAM and they work flawlessly. Hell, my N7 has ridiculous memory management, keeping 2 or 3 games running in it's RAM at a time.

Getting back on topic though...that spec data was for the B1, which is not the tablet in question. Hence dgstorm saying "...without divulging any specs..."

djsiva

Reaction score
There's a tablet in this photo? My eyes were immediately drawn to the Acer henna tattoo on her chest. LOL..DancingNexus

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
There's a tablet in this photo? My eyes were immediately drawn to [strike]the Acer henna tattoo on[/strike] her chest. LOL..DancingNexus

Fixed that for you. :D

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
There's a tablet in this photo? My eyes were immediately drawn to the Acer henna tattoo on her chest. LOL..DancingNexus

Maybe we could get a shot looking straight down at the tattoo?! I mean it is free advertising! ;)

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just imagine how much profit they would make if they planned on selling 100 million instead of thinking small!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just imagine how much profit they would make if they planned on selling 100 million instead of thinking small!

There's "pie in the sky" thinking, and then there is "check yourself into a psych ward, bat-crap crazy" thinking. If Acer believed they could sell 100 Million, it would be the later of those two. :)