Acer Officially Unveils New Iconia A510 Tab with Tegra 3 & ICS for Only $450

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
iconiatab5101.jpg

Acer just officially announced the availability via pre-order for their new Iconia A510 tablet. The tablet will be available in the U.S. and Canada for the decent price of $449.99. What makes this a good value is that it comes with a quad-core chip and Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box. Here's a spec breakdown:
  • 10.1-inch screen with a 1280×800 resolution
  • Quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 32GB of storage
  • Five megapixel camera capable of “HD” video recording (probably 720p)
  • One megapixel camera on the front for video calls
  • 9,800mAh battery - good for up to 12 hours of video playback
  • A microSD card slot for up to 32GB of storage to add
  • Also includes a micro HDMI and microUSB
  • Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
It's nice to see the powerful device finally come to market. How many of you guys have been anxiously waiting for this one?

Source: AcerTabletForum via SlashGear

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
that a good price for a tablet with that kind of spec.. i would consider this except that i am really happy with my transformer tf101.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
With those specs, not a bad price indeed.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was about to make an ever-so-slightly OT comment but thanks to justin82 it's not so much any more: by accident the other day I picked up the Transformer Prime at Best Buy and played with it for 5 minutes -- I had just assumed it was the first-gen TF101 (which I own).

Now I'm not about to suggest that 5 minutes of play with a demo unit means anything, BUT I WILL offer my impressions nonetheless. What did I think? I was frankly stunned that the Prime (like the TF101 before it) had caused complete insanity and craziness, when at first glance, I could hardly distinguish it from the previous unit. When I realized I was holding the much-loved Prime, I immediately checked the obvious things -- screen quality, scrolling/swiping speed, video playback, games, the cool (but oh-so-naughty) aluminum back. And the overall impression I had was THANK GOODNESS I kept my TF101 and didn't impulsively sell it for a Prime.

Anyway, the take home message is that for people who do email, light browsing, e-reading, and some videos and games, your basic dual-core 10" tablet is way more than sufficient. ICS is very nice, and seems to enhance usability, but even that is not a must-have requirement.

I guess my point is that I agree the new Acer looks pretty good and is reasonablly priced, but an arms-race in tablet development may be a bit silly. At least for the time-being, there are very few mind-blowing apps that demand a quad-core, absolutely top of the line tablet. In other words, they look gorgeous and give you 3 weeks of bragging rights, but not much more.

-Matt