Accounts->Screen com.motorolla.service.main stopped unexpectedly

arthurW

Reaction score
When I click on Settings and then click on Accounts, almost every time I get a warning message: "The process com.motorola.service.main has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." There is a "Force Close" tab that I then have to hit. The screen then usually defaults back to the home screen, though occasionally it stays in the Accounts window (when it stayed, I was then able to see the "remove account" tab etc.

-Art

SANhacker

Reaction score
Just tried this five times and no warning messages.
How far away is the VZW store to exchange your phone ?

OP
A

arthurW

Reaction score
@SanHacker

Phone came in the mail; nearest Verizon center is only 10 minutes away... though I have already put a couple of hours setting up and downloading apps for the phone etc... Hate to give up on it without a fight. The only time I have seen this error message is when I am opening the My Accounts window. I can also note that when I put the phone into Airplane Mode (no wireless or WiFi connections) I don't get the error message. I can also note that when first setting up the phone, the backup assistant (not that I was trying to use previous backup info for this phone, I was for the first time setting up such an account and backing up the RAZR phone) failed. However I tried it an hour later and it went through and worked etc. I am very suspicious now that the problem I am seeing is due to the backup assistant. I wished I had never used it, and I can NOT figure out how to get it off my phone.

OP
A

arthurW

Reaction score
Resolved

I previously had the problem that I was getting the warning message -> com.motorola.service.main has stopped unexpectedly. (I also have been experiencing a problem with adding more than 2 Gmail accounts (see other post).

com.motorola.service.main More information:
I previously indicated that when I went into "Setting"s and then "Accounts", I would almost always get that error message and a Force Close tab. I have since realized, however, that I would also occasionally get that error message when I had the Droid's "Mail" application open. I never received that error message any other time (than in Mail or in My Accounts).

Resolution of issues:
So after trying to resolve these issues by working within my setup, I decided to return the phone to the original factory settings.
Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset.
This of course wipes everything off the phone. When the phone was in the process of rebuilding, I decided NOT to go with any form of the Motorola's Backup Assistant. I then proceeded to enter in my Gmail accounts. With the original phone/ first time through I had indicated a Gmail account, but had clicked on the Droid's "EMail Accounts" icon in the Set Up Accounts window. This time I thought about it more and realized (duh) that Gmail is a Google type of account. So this time I clicked on the 'Google" icon in the Set Up Accounts window. I did this for Gmai1, Gmail2, and Gmail3 accounts without any problem. And all three Gmail accounts got entered under the Droids Gmail application (so when I click on the Gmail app, and list the accounts, it shows all three Gmail addresses as I wanted. I next downloaded the K9 email app (which I highly rec over the Droid's Email app). I next added my work email address to the K9 application. I NEVER opened or used the Droid's "Email" application. My phone now works flawlessly, and no more com.motorola.service.main error/shut down messages. Boy this phone is fast/nice!

So my phone hardware was good, its internal configuration, however, was the problem. I would suggest, if you are having problems with your new phone to go ahead and do the factory reset and try the setup again. The reset takes ~5 minutes, setting up your email another 5-15 minutes. Less time than trying to call or bringing your phone to your carrier.

ART