Accidentally silencing phone - my solution

Tabs

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this! I'd wanted an app like this since getting the phone!

Is there any way you could add an option to just totally lock out the volume keys for the ringer? (but leave it active for in-call volume, media playback volume, navigation volume etc) I only ever have my phone on vibrate and I'd like it to just not be possible to even change it if there's a way to do that. I always accidentally hit the key and silence the phone without realizing it.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Here is the QR code to make it easier to get the app.

chart

OP
X

x475aws

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this! I'd wanted an app like this since getting the phone!

Is there any way you could add an option to just totally lock out the volume keys for the ringer? (but leave it active for in-call volume, media playback volume, navigation volume etc) I only ever have my phone on vibrate and I'd like it to just not be possible to even change it if there's a way to do that. I always accidentally hit the key and silence the phone without realizing it.

I'm glad you like RingGuard. But if you want to lock down the phone on vibrate, one of the other volume control apps can probably do just that (or at least restore it to vibrate within a short time after any change). This function wouldn't fit well into RingGuard's current design.

sustained

Reaction score
x475aws,

Thank you so much for sharing RingGuard! This is exactly what I've needed! It's simple but some smart work went into it.

But I do have some requests.

Request 1

What I would really like to see is a setting that locks the volume and doesn't bother me again.

For example, if I would accidentally hit the volume rocker, the volume would not change, it would not beep and there would be no confirmation window.

(Yes I do know that with no interaction from me the confirmation window will disappear. But I would still prefer not see it at all.)

Or if the volume does have to change when the rocker is hit (because of the phone's structure) the volume would just immediately go back to where it was. No beeps, no confirmation window.

It could be a separate setting in the RingGuard menu or maybe added to the top of the "Confirm wait time" choices. For example, "Locked - no confirmation".

No confirmation window would come up. The only way to change it from the "Locked - no confirmation" setting would be to go into RingGuard's menu. The confirmation window would still appear if you chose any of the timed "Confirm wait time" choices.

Request 2
A setting to turn off beeps for the volume rocker.
With the volume setting locked as above, there is really no need to hear beeps. It would just be one more thing needlessly beeping at me.
But having a separate setting to turn beeps off and on would allow everyone to configure their phone as they like it.

In short, I don't want my attention taken away from what I'm doing, by beeps or a confirmation window, just because I accidentally hit the volume rocker. I would like nothing to happen.

Request 3

My last request is that you put up a donation link on the Market page. Really, you should. I am happy to donate or buy smartly made and useful software. RingGuard is one of those. I'm sure many will feel the same. (And they will even more so if you would add my requests. :) )

ragnoir

Reaction score
This is great! So many times I've turned my phone ringer off pulling it from my pocket.

OP
X

x475aws

Reaction score
x475aws,

Thank you so much for sharing RingGuard! This is exactly what I've needed! It's simple but some smart work went into it.

But I do have some requests.

Taking Request 3 first: Thanks much for the compliment, and I'll accept it as such, without necessarily going through with adding a paid version :) What I really want (what every app developer wants, I guess) is for RingGuard to move up in the search results, so it'll be more widely seen and installed. Good ratings probably help with that, so please rate it, if you haven't already. RingGuard's "active installs" number (the percentage of users who downloaded it and didn't then uninstall it) is hovering in the low 80's, which I'd guess is decent, and that's supposed to help also.

Taking Requests 1 and 2 together: Just adding an extremely short confirm time choice, and calling it "no confirm", might well accomplish the goal of cancelling any volume changes immediately, with no confirm dialog being displayed. But there's no way, AFAIK, to avoid the immediate effect of the volume rocker, namely displaying the volume toast and beeping at the new volume level. Put those two facts together, and you'd end up with the app and the user playing "tug of war" with the volume display, which wouldn't be an attractive user experience.

Anyway, I'd rather leave the app alone for now, because, frankly, when I'm working on a program it tends to dominate my life, and I've got some other things I want to do now. :)

Last edited:
M

Matth3w

Awesome! Now I can turn the setting for Handcent back on that allows the popup to wake the phone because I don't have to worry about turning off the volume as I pull it out of my pocket!

solarliving

Reaction score
Call Volume Lock

Now, I need a call volume lock. I'm always accidentally turning down the call volume when I'm talking on the phone.

droidtom

Reaction score
Thanks

Works great and definitely needed. I've silenced mine a bunch and was irritated. This solves it. Amazing that nobody seems to accidentaly bump it up to high but it gets silenced super easy without this.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I put 5 starts on the market! Even though I can't say I've actually had a problem with accidental bumping, but as a simple safeguard it would be a nice integration into Android.