A retailer that has a clue!

dsprik

Reaction score
If I want to talk price/contract terms, I speak to a sales rep. If I have a specific question about my phone - specs/potential hiccups/known problem(s), I speak to a tech...

But that's just me...

OP
alucard9114

alucard9114

Reaction score
I come here for my info on released or future phones because i have had no luck at Verizon stores.If i call Verizon i get great customer service.

OP
alucard9114

alucard9114

Reaction score
I'm not trying to thread-jack, but I didn't want to start a thread for what should be a simple question for anyone who has a purchased a phone from Costco before.

I am eligible for an upgrade (primary line annual upgrade) through VZW.com but my NE2 isn't until November 30th. When I go to Amazon Wireless or Costco.com, it says that I am not currently able to upgrade at the discounted price. Am I going to have to get the phone through VZW or is there a way around this? I would prefer to get the phone through Costco. TIA.

Edit: I realize I could probably wait until November 30th but I was hoping on getting the GN on release day if it releases before then.

wanted to get a Bionic at costco but couldn't use early upgrade there only at vzw store so you will need to wait tell Nov 30 :mad:

Caligula2008

Reaction score
Add two more to the Verizon reps that don't know what their talking about. I go into a local store Friday to check out the Razr. I explain that I've been eligible for an upgrade (Currently back to OG droid after failing to repair a cracked screen on my refurb d2) and was deciding between razr/gn. They wanted to sell me the razr so bad they were making up things about the Nexus. One rep goes, "With the Razr you get a 1.2ghz dual core processor with 1gig of RAM and reinforced with kevlar" just spewing out these facts like I would be stupid to be looking at the galaxy nexus. To which I replied, "You don't believe the Galaxy Nexus will have a dual core 1.2ghz processor and 1gig of RAM??" He seems shocked that I would question it and then said it may be dual core but at most 1ghz and didn't comment on the memory. Then I mentioned Ice Cream Sandwich and he says "I personally would want to wait and make sure it runs stable on any device - before I would trust it on my phone" to which his partner tag teaming goes - "Which is why we will upgrade the razr to ICS later on if it proves reliable"

Now, I was thoroughly aggravated at the tone they had taken with me at this point so I mentioned the Motorola Xoom upgrade promises. The conversation pretty much deteriorated as I knew by then that I wasn't going to be purchasing the RAZR from that store regardless of anything so I left. Not before they insulted me for my current phone (I had my droid 1 with me).

Oh yeah, they kept making a big deal about the RAZR's military grade encryption - now I love alot of the features of the phone but is this really a deciding factor for anybody?

COSam

Reaction score
wanted to get a Bionic at costco but couldn't use early upgrade there only at vzw store so you will need to wait tell Nov 30 :mad:

FML. I'm not waiting any longer than I have to. Looks like I'm stuck purchasing at VZW store.

Thanks!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Speaking of funny verizon experiences...

I was at the store when bionic first came out and online i could get it for $250 but in the store for $300. So I thought I'd try to get them reduce the price which they declined but offered me an accessories kit which they said is worth $50(car charger, case, screen protector) for free with my purchase.

In return being a smart ass that I am I refused and said that I can get that same kit on ebay for $5. Rep replied that he will bet me $50 that I won't find it for $5.

So I went over to their working bionic display opened up browser, went to ebay and found the same exact 3 piece kit for $4.25 shipped. They had nothing to say and ofcourse didn't pay me losing the bet so I just walked out of the store laughing in their faces.

Made my day!

bosshog85

Reaction score
That's funny yesterday I went to ask about a possible update for my Samsung continuum and he didn't even know what kind of phone I had. Douchebags.

Sent from my Samsung Continuum SCH-I400 using DroidForums

jleeusa

Reaction score
Verizon doesn't charge taxes differently than Costco. Whether or not you have to pay tax based on the full retail price depends on your local and state laws. I know California customers have to pay based on the full price. It's not just for phones, it goes for anything that gives a discount or coupon. If one is charging you based on full retail and the other isn't then one is breaking the law. And you should know whether or not your local government does this. Just go buy something with a coupon and see if it takes off some taxes.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

A rep at Costco in California told me they only charge tax on the sale price because they are wholesalers they aren't breaking the law.

As for Verizon reps, they are commission employees, they sell what they have not going to have. I personally feel companies should be more concerned about potential customers than they are.

It seems as though many in customer service would rather kick you out of their store for researching instead of saying "come back in when you are ready to buy". Too much competition to kick us out unhappy.

My two cents, I haven't donated in a while.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

moot

Reaction score

Sorry to thread jack, but can someone confirm this? My contract doesn't end until late December, but I had hoped to upgrade at costco. Bummer, if I can't. I don't think I can wait another month. My OG is about to bite the dust.

ice456789

Reaction score
As a former retail sales manager and store manager I can tell you that any salesperson who is not an expert on their product will not be able to effectively sell their product. If you're on commission and you don't know everything there is to know about what you're selling, then the message you're sending me is that you're lazy and you're going to cost me sales. You'd quickly find yourself out of a job if I'm the manager.

At the same time, any salesperson who sits around chatting with someone who is clearly not going to make a purchase TODAY is also costing me sales (unless there's no one else in the store). Cultivating a 'business friendship' may net you 3 sales a year that you wouldn't have had, but it represents a huge expenditure of time that is should have been spent on customers that are looking to make a purchase that day. It probably cost you more than 3 sales creating that 'business friendship' because other customers in the store were either left alone or went to another salesperson.

COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Every time I go into either VZW store close to me, I swear I'll never return. Part of not knowing what's going on in my area stores is that I have never seen the same person twice. Turn over must be tremendous. Combine that with prices consistently $50-$100 than anywhere else, I wonder how they stay in biz

Danielsan

Reaction score
If I want to talk price/contract terms, I speak to a sales rep. If I have a specific question about my phone - specs/potential hiccups/known problem(s), I speak to a tech...

But that's just me...
Technicians are out of VZW stores nationwide. All replaced by CSR's and RSR's, so those sales reps now have to take on the roles of sales, tech, and customer service. They have ALOT more responsibility and would rather not "BS" with someone now when the customers only intention is to prospect. I consider myself to be one of those people who get's extremely excited about phones and nerd talk so really who you get in the stores is a roll of the dice (usually not in your favor). Btw, don't get the franchised retail stores mixed up with the corporate stores; I've found the authorized retailers to know the least of the possible locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasey

Reaction score
If you're in sales, you shouldn't be.

The purpose of a sales rep is to sell you a prouduct. Not strike up a conversation with you.

Sales isn't a job people dream of doing. They do it to pay the bills. Talking to someone who isn't interested in buying something is time/money wasted in the sales world.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Sales is a great job. Yes, you do need to strike up a conversation and figure out what the customer really needs. The good sales people have a passion for helping others and yes it pays the bills, and more. We can all identify sales people like you and when we find them.... RUN!! All sales people should know they're product and be passionate about it. If you're not, you're selling the wrong product. Good luck, you'll need it.

dsprik

Reaction score
Technicians are out of VZW stores nationwide. All replaced by CSR's and RSR's, so those sales reps now have to take on the roles of sales, tech, and customer service. They have ALOT more responsibility and would rather not "BS" with someone now when the customers only intention is to prospect. I consider myself to be one of those people who get's extremely excited about phones and nerd talk so really who you get in the stores is a roll of the dice (usually not in your favor). Btw, don't get the franchised retail stores mixed up with the corporate stores; I've found the authorized retailers to know the least of the possible locations.
Sorry to hear they have pulled their techs out of their corporate stores. Haven't been in my corporate store since last year - 45 miles away in summer/35 miles away in winter. I have talked to techs on the phone on several occasions, also. I also agree on the corporate vs auth retailers. I stay out of these strip mall stores unless an absolute emergency (had to buy a battery last spring).

Last edited by a moderator:

kath00

Reaction score
Verizon doesn't charge taxes differently than Costco. Whether or not you have to pay tax based on the full retail price depends on your local and state laws. I know California customers have to pay based on the full price. It's not just for phones, it goes for anything that gives a discount or coupon. If one is charging you based on full retail and the other isn't then one is breaking the law. And you should know whether or not your local government does this. Just go buy something with a coupon and see if it takes off some taxes.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

This is not correct. Costco stores only charge tax on the price you pay (ie $299 vs the $699 full price). Costco ON LINE charges tax on the full retail price, ie $699, even if the phone only costs $299 for you. All other retailers all do the same thing (charge tax on $699). Call Costco and confirm it yourself. It's quite a savings... (oh, this is all in California).

Katherine