A Handful of Questions

aulderyan

Reaction score
Thanks in advance to all the helpful replies! :)

This is my first smartphone, and I really like it, and have read the manual, but have some "how to" questions. Here goes:

It seems the only way to get the display to turn on is to quickly press the power button after the phone has been "sleeping". Is there anyway to merely touch the screen to get it to come back on?

Also, if i press the power button to get the screen to display, it only stays on for 3 or 4 seconds, then goes dark again. Can that be changed? I set the screen timout to 2 minutes, but that doesnt seem to matter.

Third, is there a way to remove the requirement to "unlock" the phone by dragging that green "unlock button" to the right every time you want to do something with it?

Finally, what is the fastest way to "Close" an app so that it isnt using memory, short of using taskiller or force close? Isn't there an "X" button like in Windows to kill a window? Or some kind of equivalent?

Thank you for your help!

gatewayad

Reaction score
Thanks in advance to all the helpful replies! :)

This is my first smartphone, and I really like it, and have read the manual, but have some "how to" questions. Here goes:

It seems the only way to get the display to turn on is to quickly press the power button after the phone has been "sleeping". Is there anyway to merely touch the screen to get it to come back on?

Also, if i press the power button to get the screen to display, it only stays on for 3 or 4 seconds, then goes dark again. Can that be changed? I set the screen timout to 2 minutes, but that doesnt seem to matter.

Third, is there a way to remove the requirement to "unlock" the phone by dragging that green "unlock button" to the right every time you want to do something with it?

Finally, what is the fastest way to "Close" an app so that it isnt using memory, short of using taskiller or force close? Isn't there an "X" button like in Windows to kill a window? Or some kind of equivalent?

Thank you for your help!

How did you get a manual! :icon_evil: all i got was a foldup piece of cardboard
1 - no, you have to unlock from the top, you will get use to it
2 - safeguard against accidentely pressing the (see answer 1) button, once you slide to unlock it will stay on for the 2 minutes you have set it at
3 - Other than setting up the pattern lock from the settings no ... but there may be a third party app on the market by now
4 - no need just back out of it and dont worry about it, it's not a blackberry:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

eliassami5

Reaction score
Dont worry about apps running in the background, if your phone needs more memory it will automatically close apps as needed.
As far as the lock screen thing, you will get used to it. No you cant change the duration the lock screen stays on for.

You can download an app called "ScreenModeWidget" and it will allow you to bypass the lock screen entirely, it also allows you to turn the screen on with the camera button.

funken

Reaction score
Dont worry about apps running in the background, if your phone needs more memory it will automatically close apps as needed.
As far as the lock screen thing, you will get used to it. No you cant change the duration the lock screen stays on for.

You can download an app called "ScreenModeWidget" and it will allow you to bypass the lock screen entirely, it also allows you to turn the screen on with the camera button.

ScreenModeWidget also allows you to stop the screen from going to sleep.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Smus

Reaction score
3 words.

Advanced Task Killer.

I had my Q and it would eat battery like a mofo, so I really have a habit of killing my programs right away after I'm done using them. I've gotten almost a full 3 day's with moderate usage without recharging it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I would strongly advise against bothering with a task killer. There is a built in one if you ever really need to close an unruly app. You can also wake up the Droid by sliding the keyboard out.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain you can close all apps with the default method. I don't use it often but when I need it I use Task Panel. I've had it since day 1 with no problems.

I do strongly advise against Advance Task Killer.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can close them all with the default method. When you go into Manage Applications... hit the menu button and you can change the filter.... select ALL and you'll be able to kill any process on your phone :)