A Few Rooting Questions

DroidWolfen

Reaction score
Alright well I have been thinking about rooting this thing for a while but have held back for various reasons I was unsure of, or if I would even use it's root access in the long run. I have a few questions, and rather then post them all separate or do a search, I thought it would be best to ask them all here, that way any answers if you guys are kind enough to help will apply to my entire situation.

First thing, I understand my warranty is void if I root, this I don't care too much about, but what about phone insurance I pay? If I break the phone(Not by rooting, dropping it, getting it wet, losing it) after rooting, and they figure out it had been rooted somehow, do I still get a new phone since I pay for insurance, or is that the same thing as a warranty? By my understanding a factory warranty covers tech support and such, but doesn't the insurance pay for a new phone if it breaks, or is that void as well?

Alright, well if I do root it, the only thing I actually may use on a normal basis is a wifi-tether. Other than that, just for fun I would maybe overclock the CPU a little bit, just to see what it does(At a safe level). I know overclocking anything makes something run hotter and drain power. I would have the power plugged in if I was tethering, but if I overclock it just a bit while I'm out for the day, how long will the battery last compared to the normal CPU rate? I listen to radio streams and check email sometimes, but that's really it. Usually if I'm away from home all day, the battery will last me 24-32 hours without charge, if I do exactly the same stuff, but run the CPU harder, what might I expect? If I did overclock it, and I only listen to music or browse the net a little, will I even notice a difference, or is overclocking the thing for more advanced apps?

Last question, since I'm really only going to do those few things if I root, is there a recommended easiest minimal guide that would accomplish what I want, or will the process be the same regardless? I know how to find the rooting guides on here and use the search function, but since we are already here, if any of you masters have the best possible guide I would appreciate it.

My firmware is 2.1-update1, I got the kernel as well, but I'm not sure how much info is needed if at all? I would appreciate any help. If you guys think I don't need to root it if all I do is tether or overclock for fun let me know, but I like what I hear so it sounds cool. I just don't want to break my phone a year from now from dropping it and have to pay the whole fee for a brand new phone.

Eschy

Reaction score
Alright well I have been thinking about rooting this thing for a while but have held back for various reasons I was unsure of, or if I would even use it's root access in the long run. I have a few questions, and rather then post them all separate or do a search, I thought it would be best to ask them all here, that way any answers if you guys are kind enough to help will apply to my entire situation.

First thing, I understand my warranty is void if I root, this I don't care too much about, but what about phone insurance I pay? If I break the phone(Not by rooting, dropping it, getting it wet, losing it) after rooting, and they figure out it had been rooted somehow, do I still get a new phone since I pay for insurance, or is that the same thing as a warranty? By my understanding a factory warranty covers tech support and such, but doesn't the insurance pay for a new phone if it breaks, or is that void as well?

Alright, well if I do root it, the only thing I actually may use on a normal basis is a wifi-tether. Other than that, just for fun I would maybe overclock the CPU a little bit, just to see what it does(At a safe level). I know overclocking anything makes something run hotter and drain power. I would have the power plugged in if I was tethering, but if I overclock it just a bit while I'm out for the day, how long will the battery last compared to the normal CPU rate? I listen to radio streams and check email sometimes, but that's really it. Usually if I'm away from home all day, the battery will last me 24-32 hours without charge, if I do exactly the same stuff, but run the CPU harder, what might I expect? If I did overclock it, and I only listen to music or browse the net a little, will I even notice a difference, or is overclocking the thing for more advanced apps?

Last question, since I'm really only going to do those few things if I root, is there a recommended easiest minimal guide that would accomplish what I want, or will the process be the same regardless? I know how to find the rooting guides on here and use the search function, but since we are already here, if any of you masters have the best possible guide I would appreciate it.

My firmware is 2.1-update1, I got the kernel as well, but I'm not sure how much info is needed if at all? I would appreciate any help. If you guys think I don't need to root it if all I do is tether or overclock for fun let me know, but I like what I hear so it sounds cool. I just don't want to break my phone a year from now from dropping it and have to pay the whole fee for a brand new phone.

first off breaking the moto droid from rooting is nearly impossible, i have only heard of one being truly bricked beyond repair. So dont worry about that. As for battery it just depends on how you run the phone if you overclock you obviously wont get good battery life. But with set cpu you can clock it down to stock with a low voltage or ultra low voltage kernel. This will give you better battery life. Also a lot of roms are optimized for better battery life as well as performance. I say root your phone you may have to experiment a little to find a rom/kernel combo that works for you but there are really no drawbacks to it other than voiding your warranty and there are ways around that. I will say though you will become addicted to this so if you are trying to be more productive then dont root lol

Eschy

Reaction score
the only way for them to know you rooted is if the phone is running as far as i know, so if you dropped it in water they wont be able to explore any parts of the phone. If your screen cracks or something and you can still run the software all you need to do is flash a stock sbf and they will never know. Someone correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure thats the case

OP
D

DroidWolfen

Reaction score
Alright well thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity how long does the complete rooting process take on average? I have heard even if it stalls you don't want to cancel the process/unplug anything or you can brick, so just to give me an idea in case it hangs somewhere? I don't care if the process takes 5 hours, but if it should take that long and it has been hanging for 10 I would assume I have to start over but properly as not to screw things up. I don't see the actually rooting being a problem, I'm no master but I know a little about tech stuff. And as for being addicting, well whatever I spend 90% of my life around technology so I don't see that changing a thing dancedroid

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You'll see plenty of posts here of people getting stuck, then unstuck. I'd be hard pressed to find a post saying someone sent their cracked screen soggy rooted phone in and were told tough luck. So, no promises but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Look over link 1 and 3 in my signature. Locate the rom you want to apply, and use SPrecovery to get it installed after doing a backup.

Good luck and feel free to let us know which rom you want and if you can't find it folks will lend a hand. Although, if you know which one you want, you probably already know where it is!

First time rooting? Give yourself 1-3 hrs. Once you know what you are doing? 5-10 minutes to switch roms.

Eschy

Reaction score
Alright well thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity how long does the complete rooting process take on average? I have heard even if it stalls you don't want to cancel the process/unplug anything or you can brick, so just to give me an idea in case it hangs somewhere? I don't care if the process takes 5 hours, but if it should take that long and it has been hanging for 10 I would assume I have to start over but properly as not to screw things up. I don't see the actually rooting being a problem, I'm no master but I know a little about tech stuff. And as for being addicting, well whatever I spend 90% of my life around technology so I don't see that changing a thing dancedroid

rooting is different than it was a few month ago there are a couple of one touch root methods out there unfortunately they were both pulled this week but should be back shortly. If you dont want to wait just use rsd lite, this program freaked me out at first and became a deterant from rooting. Unil I tried it and found Its very simple and straight forward. A lot of times the program becomes unresponsive at the end when it is at 99% it might say failed. dont freak out like i did lol just click somewhere on the screen and it should finish no problems. As for it taking 1-3 hours i would say 1 and a half at the most it will probably take you 30 minutes its really simple. The part that takes a while is downloading the files you need and letting rsd do its work other than that you really dont have to do anything.

Eschy

Reaction score
just post any problems on here i get updates in my email on my phone so i can help if you need any

OP
D

DroidWolfen

Reaction score
Hey Eschy well I guess EasyRoot is back, so I did the basics with a touch of the button, and barnical works great. I'm wondering now about a custom rom to test out OC'ing, doing the CPU battery saver, and would like more screen space(Which by my knowledge some custom kernals have?). Any recommendations on a choice kernal to test out? If you guys want me to just dig through the forums that's fine but since were already here you know the situation so if it's not a big deal I appreciate the help.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Easiest way to root by far:

1. Flash the SPR.sbf
2. Install a rooted Rom.
3. Done

You can get an "untouched" Rom or one with all "the bells and whistles"

Eschy

Reaction score
i primarily use bugless beast v.4 although i tried sapphire recently and rubik 1.9 both are very solid. But bugless is my favorite. As for kernels i have been using p3 lv 125-1200 clocking it at 850 on battery and 1200 on charger. the cool thing about p3 kernels is the lowest slot is 125 rather than 250 so you will see some improved battery life. As for extra screen space im not sure if you mean more homescreens or removing the notifications bar but both of those can be done in a custom launcher like launcher pro or adw. P3Droid Kernels http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...t-v0-4-android-2-2-frf84b-fully-deodexed.html the rom and overclocking are really simple i recommend using clockwork because you dont have to rename the zip to update.zip. you can just install from sd in rom manager