A Few Problems With My HTC Rezound... A Little Help?

thatdudedev

Reaction score
So let me get right to the point - my Rezound has some weird issues. I want to know if anybody can help me resolve them without returning it to Verizon. My phone is not rooted and I will not be rooting it any time soon; I don't know much about that stuff. So here are the problems:
1. Overheating issue: My phone gets really hot at times, the record on mine is 120 degrees. Any way I can reduce the heat?
2. Battery life issue: My battery dies VERY FAST. It can go down 20% in 20 minutes if I'm reading an article on the web and listening to the music at the same time. I've tweaked my settings and it still happens with low brightness, 3G only, and silent mode. Any ideas?
3. Battery dies while the phone is off: This is weird and I haven't ever heard of it happening before. Sometimes I'm at school and I get out and look at my phone after I turn it on and the battery is nearly dead. The back of it also feels hot and I'm pretty sure it doesn't power on during the day. This is really troublesome, so anybody have any ideas?
Anything you provide is appreciated, so thanks in advance. :)

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be a faulty battery. The extreme heat will cause the battery to die faster as well. One if the main heat sources is the screen but if you already have that set pretty low then there's an underlying issue. My guess is bad battery. See if you can exchange just the battery. If its not that then its the device itself..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
1. Overheating issue: My phone gets really hot at times, the record on mine is 120 degrees. Any way I can reduce the heat?

Lithium Ion batteries are especially sensitive to heat. If a LI/LIPO battery remains above 113F for extended periods, it will begin to lose measurable lifespan.

2. Battery life issue: My battery dies VERY FAST. It can go down 20% in 20 minutes if I'm reading an article on the web and listening to the music at the same time. I've tweaked my settings and it still happens with low brightness, 3G only, and silent mode. Any ideas?

LI/LIPO batteries have a very flat voltage discharge rate between about 20% and 80% of capacity so it is very difficult for the meters to accurately represent the relative state of charge (SOC) between those values.

The seemingly "fast" decreases you are experiencing of 20% on 20 minutes for example may not be a true representation of the reduction in stored charge. It's more likely an out of calibration battery meter. A full charge (100% battery level), with the phone powered off (if the Rezound had that option), followed by normal use to the "low battery" level as indicated by the phone may be all that is required to put things back on track.

3. Battery dies while the phone is off: This is weird and I haven't ever heard of it happening before. Sometimes I'm at school and I get out and look at my phone after I turn it on and the battery is nearly dead. The back of it also feels hot and I'm pretty sure it doesn't power on during the day. This is really troublesome, so anybody have any ideas?
Anything you provide is appreciated, so thanks in advance. :)

This sounds more like the battery is near its low voltage threshold, usually 3V, and is simply not carrying enough current to support the phone's circuitry at that point, which results in the phone shutting down. I suspect a full charge and normal discharge as mentioned above may resolve all that's ailing it.

Now, if the phone has been off for an extended time and it gets hot all on its own, that is a sign of a bad battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
T

thatdudedev

Reaction score
Thank you guys, I'm going to charge it up fully with the system off like you suggested tomorrow. I will post back here later and let you know what's up. If it is the battery, can I just head over to a Verizon store to pick a new one up?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thank you guys, I'm going to charge it up fully with the system off like you suggested tomorrow. I will post back here later and let you know what's up. If it is the battery, can I just head over to a Verizon store to pick a new one up?

Looks like a replacement battery for you is a snap. Whether they have them in stock at the VZW store is another question. I'd call first to be sure.

Also, once it's been fully charged while powered down, then you'll need to run it without any additional charging through the next day or so until it notifies you that the battery is low. Once you hit that notification threshold, the battery meter will be properly calibrated to the full and low values and should reflect relatively accurately what the ongoing state of charge is as you use it. From there on, revert to your normal usage and charging habits and if it ever starts to report incorrectly you'll know how to fix it again!

Hopefully it will work properly and there will be no more surprises.

Good luck. ;)

Pacco17

Reaction score
Rezound Battery issue

When I got my Rezound, it would get extremely hot and would drain very quickly. I purchased the extended battery and the phone was still getting very hot quickly even when downloading songs and the extended battery was draining. I knew it was the phone and not the battery. I went back the VZW store and the manager felt the same way that it was probably the phone and not the battery. He immediately swapped out a new Rezound and he also swapped out a new extended battery.

With my second Rezound, I no longer have these issues and the phone does not get hot nor does the battery drain quickly. I can go with moderate use a couple of days between charges. I would encourage you to get VZW to swap out your Rezound for a brand new one along with a brand new extended battery. You will then notice a major difference. I absolutely love this phone.

Good luck

AmandaRawrrr

Reaction score
How long have you had your phone for? I'm just noticing the same overheating and heavy battery drainage issue, but I've had my phone since Black Friday. I'm worried I need a new phone or battery but I don't want to pay through the nose because I've had my phone for several months now :/

Mine frequently overheats while charging, though I don't know how to take a temperature reading. I can tell it's hotter than it should be though. And while I can have a full charge in the morning and barely use it during the day (it sits on my desk at work, usually with the screen off, I'll check it for 5 minutes once or twice an hour) it is consistently dead by 4:30pm. This morning in particular, I left home with a full charge (though I was using it to browse the internet for about 15 minutes unplugged before leaving), used Waze on my way to work with it plugged in to my car charger, and when I pulled into work it was at about 87%. I just checked my battery life again and it's now at 78%. I haven't used it more than 5 minutes this morning and it's been plugged in for the last half hour. I bought some extra chargers from Amazon to keep this thing charged wherever I am but it looks like I might have to stick with the one that came with the phone and pay however stupid much for the right cord. I've been using my boyfriend's nook charger at night and I've only recently noticed these issues. Blegh!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If your phone is overheating / draining battery fast, I would suggest exchanging the phone with Verizon. Even if you're rooted(relock and RUU) your should still be able to get an exchange.

Momo12

Reaction score
My htc rezound is having issues. This is the second battery and rezound I've had. And im still having the same issue. Whenever my phone goes below a certain battery percentage it shuts it's self off. I plug it in to charge. I wait till the light turns green saying its fully charged and I go to turn it on and it will turn on and automatically turn itself off. Every time this has happened I have had to take it in to the VZW store and they reset it every time. I'm tired of going in there once a week. The people in the store know me by name. I haven't even had the phone for a year yet. I don't want to Pay to have a new one again. What should I do?

MikeyTG

Reaction score
In my experience, if your phone is hot and the battery is dying then you may have a runaway or poorly designed app installed on your phone. This could also kill the battery when the phone is "off" ie sleeping. When it is acting up check the battery usage stats, maybe you can spy the culprit there. Also try uninstalling any apps you don't need or use. Remember, if you need them in the future you can always just reinstall. As a last resort get rid of every add-on app you have, or just do a factory reset.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
If anyone in this thread is looking for a new battery I think VZ still has the Rezound extended battery on sale for 50% off but I wouldn't wait. I don't know how much longer the sale is on for. The standard battery is $20 and the extended on sale is $25-$30 with a new back.

sonixmon

Reaction score
If anyone in this thread is looking for a new battery I think VZ still has the Rezound extended battery on sale for 50% off but I wouldn't wait. I don't know how much longer the sale is on for. The standard battery is $20 and the extended on sale is $25-$30 with a new back.

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered one, with free shipping it beats any online price!

BTW, I thought I had corrected the battery life issue due to the VLA but even after uninstalling the update I am occassionaly having the battery die by lunch!

I really cant wait for the ICS update, hope it fixes this!

OP
T

thatdudedev

Reaction score
If I download the file for Android 4.0 and put it on the root of my SD and start it up using the file, will it erase everything off of my device? I've got a lot of stuff I'd like to keep. Thanks!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
It will erase the same amount of info as a factory reset. I had to start over from almost scratch. My pics survived but none of my apps, email accounts, wallpapers, music, or custom settings did. I had some of that backed up on my computer and drop box the rest I had to reinstall.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums