A Few Problems With Liberty 1.5

XanRules

Reaction score
So, I finally took the plunge into the realm of custom ROMs yesterday with Liberty 1.5. This is incredible. Never less than 4 bars of service, 70% battery life after 14 hours of hard use, and it looks great.
But nothing in life is perfect, so I was hoping I could get some more knowledgeable users or the DevTeam to help out with a few issues I'm having.

1. I can't load any of the themes. I downloaded the file from the torrent linked in the 1.5 announcement, but apparently all the theme files are missing. Fonts work fine - battery icons delete all my widgets from the homescreen and reset my wallpaper when selected.

2. A lot of my widgets are gone :( - I miss my weather widget. Is Beautiful Widgets any good, or is it just fancy shiny garbage? Reviews are positive, but I'm sure many of you have noticed that the average Anroid phone user is only marginally smarter than an iPhone user.

3. When browsing the internet, the "Tip: Tap to zoom" text box and zoom bar won't go away. I can't see!

4. The messaging. I hate it. It feels cluttered: there's an information overload of phone numbers and names. I can't text multiple people at once. Received texts aren't spaced properly (I had this problem on my blackberry, too) in that line breaks don't show up, and the two words combine:
"I will not eat
Cat poop."

Will show up as
"I will not eatCat poop."

It looks like GoSMS might be the closest thing to the stock "Blur" setup (which I liked quite well) - but I'd like to hear from people running it on Liberty, if such people exist, about how it works.

Overall, this ROM gets a 7/10. Once I get these bumps smoothed out, it'll get 11/10 and a donation. :)

Thanks to all the Devs for making something so awesome.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. I can't load any of the themes. I downloaded the file from the torrent linked in the 1.5 announcement, but apparently all the theme files are missing. Fonts work fine - battery icons delete all my widgets from the homescreen and reset my wallpaper when selected.

2. A lot of my widgets are gone :( - I miss my weather widget. Is Beautiful Widgets any good, or is it just fancy shiny garbage? Reviews are positive, but I'm sure many of you have noticed that the average Anroid phone user is only marginally smarter than an iPhone user.

3. When browsing the internet, the "Tip: Tap to zoom" text box and zoom bar won't go away. I can't see!

4. The messaging. I hate it. It feels cluttered: there's an information overload of phone numbers and names. I can't text multiple people at once. Received texts aren't spaced properly (I had this problem on my blackberry, too) in that line breaks don't show up, and the two words combine:
"I will not eat
Cat poop."

Will show up as
"I will not eatCat poop."

Ok....so I personally think there are a few things here to address. First off let me say I have none of the problems that you are expressing so I am wondering how you installed it.

1. Sounds like you installed a different theme or are using DX Top or something. I have installed several themes from the toolbox as well as the HC theme and now Epic Blue...all without a hitch. Changed battery icons? Yep just did that today and nothing else changed on my phone. You can try reinstalling the Toolbox and search themes in there first to see how they work....if that doesn't fix it reinstall Liberty....I know....PITA but it really doesn't take that long.

2. Beautiful Widgets is great....worth every penny....IMO....I love it and so does most anyone that see's me use it. Whenever you install a new ROM you ARE going to lose all your icons, widgets, and usually have to reinstall apps. So if you just flashed Liberty than this is to be expected. You have to add all your icons, widgets, and apps again after installation of new ROM. Similar to reinstalling Windows on a computer.

3. Again I don't experience this either.

4. And another one I don't experience.

To me it sounds like you need to reinstall Liberty. It does not sound like you Wiped data and cache when you installed it and that's why you are having these issues.

I would redownload a fresh copy of Liberty....make sure you have most updated link. Make a backup through Droid Bootstrap Recovery\CWM, and reinstall Liberty.

I am willing to bet this will resolve all your issues.

But this is all just my opinion.

And to me....Liberty is perfect or at least pretty damn near. 2.0 should make it absolute.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
I wiped the data and cache before installing, had these issues, wiped, reinstalled again.
No other weird themes or modifications (regarding point number one). The SMS issue is just personal preference. I'll just reinstall the zip from another source, unless someone has the zip themes as separate files...?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can totally dig the personal preference part. There are a few things that I would like different but most are relatively small.

How did you root? Are you using a backup program or Clockwork? What might be specific to your phone to help identify the problem.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
a lot of people believe in SBF'ing before flashing ROM's ( a lot don't to though) but it might be worth a shot in this case if there are no identifiable potential causes.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
I rooted with z4 root and was running Droid Bootstrapper 2.6, am now running whatever the latest version of D2 Bootstrapper available on the market is. Maybe I can load the themes with the new D2 bootstrapper...?

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Nope, didn't work. Just says "Can't open [filename]. (Bad)"

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Issue 3 has magically resolved itself.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Last reply in a row.
I've played around now with Handcent and GoSMS. I don't like them. I want either my standard (I guess it's Blur) messaging back or more customization for my messages. :(

Poop.

Anyone know how to get it back?

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Themer here, I can help you out with getting a theme loaded up on your phone tomorrow (Sunday). We'll get some google talk going, Logical Nerd can join in too, we'll get a party going. Ideas flying around. Then you'll want to kick yourself for not rooting/romming sooner.

I know you said you tried it, but Handcent is about as close to the blur SMS app you'll get. There are themes that you can set in it as well, maybe you'll find one to suit your tastes.

Otherwise, as far as Roms go, I think Liberty and Rubix are about as Blurtload free as they get. I want to say Apex has blur stuffs, but not sure what, or if they have a version for the D2.

Anyway, we're here to help. In about 10 hours from... .... ..... right MEOW!

Sent from 1885

trook

Reaction score
Question to the op: what circumstances led you to text that you wont eat cat poop? Just curious.:)

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Question to the op: what circumstances led you to text that you wont eat cat poop? Just curious.:)

Just decided it would make a funny example ;)

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
and it was a perfect one. If i hadn't been in bed next to a sleeping wife when i read that i would've laughed pretty hard.

And now's the time if you want some help, you've got PM.

trook

Reaction score
I figured, its pretty funny but it had me thinking for a minute "what kind of day is this guy having?"