A Few Issues If You Don't Mind!

xjeff99

Reaction score
I posted this in Tech Support earlier today but got no responses. So I'm trying here:

Hello! I just got the D3 yesterday coming from an OG Droid. Have a couple questions.

-- How do I get the on-screen keyboard to hide automatically? Whenever I open up a text, website, calendar event, anything that has a text box on it while in the vertical (normal) direction, the virtual keyboard pops up, and I have to hit the back soft-key button to hide it. There was a way on the OG Droid to "auto-hide" or something on that nature the virtual keyboard until I specifically click into the text box. I can't seem to find that setting on the D3. Anyone?

-- I've seen a few responses across the D3 forum about this but has anyone found out a solution - a way to change the lock screen silent - noise slider to a silent - vibrate only - noise slider? Or just a vibrate - noise slider? I never use silent, and switch from vibrate to noise depdning on if I'm at work or at home.

-- I use Handcent for texting, and have put the handcent shortcut on the dock on the bottom of the stock Blur. Is there a way to put the handcent widget on there instead? Or at least something so I can see the amount of unread texts there, similar to how the handcent widget displays on the homescreen?

-- I let the D3 drain last night until it was dead and actually turned off on it's own. I then plugged it into the wall charger to charge up but turned it back on as I was still configuring it to the way I wanted it. I charged it up to 100% by the AM and now with moderate usage around 5 hours later I'm around 30% (wifi off, bluetooth off, only 3G is on). Is this normal?

-- The Location services thing - the 3 different settings. Can someone just please clarify this? All I use the location thing for is when i need Navigation or looking at traffic on the maps. Can someone tell me which one/two of these 3 I need turned on for that?

-- One more - back to the lock screen. Are there any apps/widgets/settings that puts more information on the lock screen? I have Handcent set so the popup text comes in front of the lock screen which is very useful, but i would like to be able to see what the email is or at least who the email is from when I receive one, instead of unlocking it and then going into my email app or pulling down the notification bar. Any idea?

Thanks in advance everyone!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
-- How do I get the on-screen keyboard to hide automatically? Whenever I open up a text, website, calendar event, anything that has a text box on it while in the vertical (normal) direction, the virtual keyboard pops up, and I have to hit the back soft-key button to hide it. There was a way on the OG Droid to "auto-hide" or something on that nature the virtual keyboard until I specifically click into the text box. I can't seem to find that setting on the D3. Anyone?
This one I'm not sure of. I will have to explore my D1 for this setting.

-- I've seen a few responses across the D3 forum about this but has anyone found out a solution - a way to change the lock screen silent - noise slider to a silent - vibrate only - noise slider? Or just a vibrate - noise slider? I never use silent, and switch from vibrate to noise depdning on if I'm at work or at home.
IIRC its a sad way of doing it, but you can select in the notification options of programs or settings on the phone in general to only vibrate in silent mode, that way it will vibrate for you when you change the lockscreen slider.
-- I use Handcent for texting, and have put the handcent shortcut on the dock on the bottom of the stock Blur. Is there a way to put the handcent widget on there instead? Or at least something so I can see the amount of unread texts there, similar to how the handcent widget displays on the homescreen?
I believe that Blur only can see how many unread the stock MMS app contains, and will not occur on other MMS programs, unless you install a third party launcher.

-- I let the D3 drain last night until it was dead and actually turned off on it's own. I then plugged it into the wall charger to charge up but turned it back on as I was still configuring it to the way I wanted it. I charged it up to 100% by the AM and now with moderate usage around 5 hours later I'm around 30% (wifi off, bluetooth off, only 3G is on). Is this normal?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no, as I've seen people getting over a day with the D3. If you let it sit all day without touching it, I don't think it would go down much. It all depends on usage.

-- The Location services thing - the 3 different settings. Can someone just please clarify this? All I use the location thing for is when i need Navigation or looking at traffic on the maps. Can someone tell me which one/two of these 3 I need turned on for that?

I always have the 3 things on, wireless, use networks and GPS. Wireless is that it remembers the locations of wifi networks you log into and can give an approx locale from that, networks is 3G tower connections, and GPS is, well...I hope you can figure that out!

-- One more - back to the lock screen. Are there any apps/widgets/settings that puts more information on the lock screen? I have Handcent set so the popup text comes in front of the lock screen which is very useful, but i would like to be able to see what the email is or at least who the email is from when I receive one, instead of unlocking it and then going into my email app or pulling down the notification bar. Any idea?

Widgetlocker is the most widely used and has the most options IMO.

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
Thank you guidot very much for your responses. Much appreciative!

xxspark89xx

Reaction score
I posted this in Tech Support earlier today but got no responses. So I'm trying here:

Hello! I just got the D3 yesterday coming from an OG Droid. Have a couple questions.

I don't particularly see a setting for this on my D3, perhaps someone else will chime in.

As far as I know, the only way to adjust this is in Settings > Sound > Vibrate...

"Only in Silent Mode" will result in switching Vibrate <> Sound On

"Never/Only when not in Silent mode" will give Silent <> Sound On

Editing the lock-screen directly isn't possible yet, as root may be needed. But the two scenarios listed above are reflected in the lock screen when changed in the settings menu.

I don't use Handcent personally, but as far as I know, I've only seen "unread msgs" with Launcher Pro. Be advised, this will replace the default Blur launcher if used. It's currently not possible to place a widget in the launcher itself.

Try changing your network mode to CDMA Only.

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode > "CDMA Only"

You can also remove the SIM card from your phone along with the option above. I've gotten my extended battery to last two days with light usage. I'm sure the standard battery would last almost a full day with these settings changed. Otherwise, you're phone constantly "looks" for other networks when the CDMA signal is lost, resulting in massive power consumption.

For Navigation, I believe all you need is "Standalone GPS Services" checked.

If you are using Google Navigator, you might need "Google Location Services" checked as well. (Not too sure), try it with just the first one, it will tell you if it needs this or not.

The others are self-explanatory. VZW Location would be for VZW apps, like VZ Navigator. Share picture location is for if you upload your pictures to social networks and stuff.

Someone else would have to chime in on this one. Not sure there is anything available yet, since the Droid 3 with Android 2.3.4 is newish still.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Answers are above with respect to the questions.

xxspark89xx

Reaction score
Nope, not unless you're overseas somewhere - then you'd just have no signal.

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
Does pulling the Sim Card out improve anything on the phone (as long as you stay stateside)? I already have the GSM radio turned off.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com

Swipe down on the virtual keyboard. Put your finger on the top letters and swipe down quickly will remove the onscreen keyboard.

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
Swipe down on the virtual keyboard. Put your finger on the top letters and swipe down quickly will remove the onscreen keyboard.

Yeah I know that, but it shows up automatically every time. It seems to now show up whenever I use the virtual keyboard. Such as - if I use the virtual keyboard to send a text, the next time a textbox pops up the virtual keyboard automatically comes up. However, if I don't use the virtual keyboard (or back out of the keyboard/swipe it down / etc.) then it won't show up. Very odd, it must be a Gingerbread thing?