4th Droid with same problem

Steve H

Reaction score
Today, my 4th Droid (in 14 months) became possessed. The strange thing that I noticed is that all 4 possessed Droids have a strange thing in common. Each one would start entering numbers on it's own, while the phone was sitting untouched, and each one would enter the numbers 1,4, & 7. No other numbers. Also each possessed Droid would make random calls while they were untouched. Seems awful strange that 4 phones would develop the same strange behavior.

I gave up on the original Droid and this afternoon got a Droid X.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow that is strange! I hope you have better success with the X.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dumb question: when you exchanged your Droids, did you keep the same charger and USB cable (usually this would be the case as replacements are shipped with just the phone)?

Reason I ask is this is a hallmark symptom of a malfunctioning battery charger - which is the only answer that would make sense since it happened across 4 devices.

You probably bought a new phone when a new charger would have solved your issues.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today, my 4th Droid (in 14 months) became possessed. The strange thing that I noticed is that all 4 possessed Droids have a strange thing in common. Each one would start entering numbers on it's own, while the phone was sitting untouched, and each one would enter the numbers 1,4, & 7. No other numbers. Also each possessed Droid would make random calls while they were untouched. Seems awful strange that 4 phones would develop the same strange behavior.

Yeah, I've heard of this issue quite a bit. Most of the time it seems to be from using an incorrect charger, however my brother is also having this issue as well and he is charging with the original charger.

So if it isn't a charger more then likely it's a rogue app. What did you do to try to figure out what the problem was before blaming the phone?

OP
Steve H

Steve H

Reaction score

Yeah, I've heard of this issue quite a bit. Most of the time it seems to be from using an incorrect charger, however my brother is also having this issue as well and he is charging with the original charger.

So if it isn't a charger more then likely it's a rogue app. What did you do to try to figure out what the problem was before blaming the phone?

I have three different chargers that I used for the old Droids. 2 Motorola AC chargers and 1 Motorola DC. On each phone, after it became possessed, I tried a battery pull and then a total reset. Neither helped............ the reset was both, the one in the settings menu and the one where you had to push a strange sequence of buttons. Also the phones would "wake up" in the middle of the night while on the charger and start dialing from my contacts list.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I would have suggested.

After you did the hard reset did you try to identify a problem app? Or did you just reload? Because it seems to me that it's just too big of a coincidence that you would have 4 phones all with the same issue, and I wouldn't want your X to end up the same way.

This reminds me I got to see where my brother is at with his. Last I heard he was trying to finagle an X out of them but they weren't going for it. He didn't do the app thing either, I did give him instructions on the hard reset.

OP
Steve H

Steve H

Reaction score

After you did the hard reset did you try to identify a problem app? Or did you just reload? Because it seems to me that it's just too big of a coincidence that you would have 4 phones all with the same issue, and I wouldn't want your X to end up the same way.

This reminds me I got to see where my brother is at with his. Last I heard he was trying to finagle an X out of them but they weren't going for it. He didn't do the app thing either, I did give him instructions on the hard reset.

Last November is when I received my 4th phone and it ran fine with all of my apps loaded the day I got it......until now. Nothing new was added or changed in 2+ months. Each phone would last 2 - 3 months then go wacko. I did talk with another customer at the Verizon store today whose brother was having the same exact problem with his driod.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Last November is when I received my 4th phone and it ran fine with all of my apps loaded the day I got it......until now. Nothing new was added or changed in 2+ months. Each phone would last 2 - 3 months then go wacko. I did talk with another customer at the Verizon store today whose brother was having the same exact problem with his driod.

OK. I know quite well it's happened to other phones. I personally have a hard time accepting it being the phone's issue. There are just too many Droids that never have that issue so something has got to cause it to happen. Logically speaking the odds of a two Droids having the same issue after the same amount of time is slim and none. Four of them, same person? I can't see it being possible.

I can say on a positive note that I've never heard of an X doing that so good luck with your new phone.

Ziggie

Reaction score
I'm on my third

I've had the same screen problems with two original droids. The first lasted from Nov. 09 to March 10. The second lasted from March 10 to November 10. Both times the screen just started going haywire: apps would start on their own, the keyboard would pop up and start typing, text messages and phone calls were made at random. Both times I tried both a soft and hard reset multiple times without any success. Both times Verizon gave me a CLN. (I did not notice/did not have the 1, 4, 7 issue. There didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to which keys were pressed).

I'm on my third original droid now and (fingers crossed) it works like a champ. I wasn't rooted in March 10, but I was rooted in November 10. I do have multiple chargers from various Motorola phones I've had in the past that I use.

No solution is in this post, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone... :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with hookbill, sounds like the user, not the phone.

Sent From My Highly Modded Droid X on Liberty ROM, using Tapatalk Pro

Wait a second, that's not what I said. I think it's an app causing the issue. However if you keep loading the same crap in your phone you're going to get the same results. I'm saying the user needs to go a bit farther.

So for the person who posted above you on his third phone, if you do as I outlined and run the phone by slowly adding the apps after a hard reset you will find a solution.

anuraj1

Reaction score
Do you keep your phone near any other electronics? Possibly ones that may have an electromagnetic field?

I had a D1 that became possessed after 14 months of use and I did a lot of research on the subject. Mine turned out to be a failed digitizer (which seemed to happen to a lot of people right after the one year mark) but in my search I found that most of the people that had the issue were using non OEM chargers, but some of them were keeping their phone next to the power source of their computer or on top of a speaker, which immediately caused their screen to become possessed.

Mikejl

Reaction score
There are cases documented all over this forum about this type of problem where the cause is a bad charging cable.

Mike

B

bthomp21

id say its a third party app. just leave it stock and see if it does it again

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are cases documented all over this forum about this type of problem where the cause is a bad charging cable.

Mike

Yeah, we talked about that on page 1. It isn't always the charger apparently.