4G not as good on S3

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Also just rebooting your phone wont change your prl ypou need to pull the sim card let you phone boot up until it tyells you you neede sim the put it back in reboot and your phone will update to the correct prl depending where you are.

Perhaps I'm not quite getting exactly what you're saying because everything runs together, but pulling the SIM, booting up, letting the phone tell you to put in a SIM card, putting it in, and then rebooting won't trigger anything that just rebooting the phone won't trigger. Once the phone shuts down from the process you gave, the boot sequence is exactly the same whether you previously removed the SIM card or not.

Either way, the phone will automatically check for PRL updates on its own, so there's really no need to worry about it. :)

wooddale

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm not quite getting exactly what you're saying because everything runs together, but pulling the SIM, booting up, letting the phone tell you to put in a SIM card, putting it in, and then rebooting won't trigger anything that just rebooting the phone won't trigger. Once the phone shuts down from the process you gave, the boot sequence is exactly the same whether you previously removed the SIM card or not.

Either way, the phone will automatically check for PRL updates on its own, so there's really no need to worry about it. :)
I read it in another forum when I did it it worked you could be wright but I wS on 09 and it didnt change until I phlled sim dont remember if I powered phone on and off though eithout taking it out

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Has anyone determined and eta for the update?

There hasn't been any official word from Verizon, and there haven't been any rumored release dates either. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Right on... I guess I finally got l lucky, no issues here... my first phone that has not had issues out of the gate.

JRParsons

Reaction score
wooddale said:
I read it in another forum when I did it it worked you could be wright but I wS on 09 and it didnt change until I phlled sim dont remember if I powered phone on and off though eithout taking it out

I read the same info, it did require that the phone be rebooted without the sim, I don't know why, but it worked. I went from 1x at my house almost all of the time, to 3g. The signal strength is now on par with my Thunderbolt.
Sadly, if I walk 100 yards in either direction out my front door, I get solid 4g.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
A Google search on "galaxy s3" revealed a possible aug-29 release.

The rumored August 29th release is for the international version's Jelly Bean update, not anything for the Verizon version (or any other U.S. version).

PhDCow

Reaction score
Got my replacement. Reception is a tiny bit better, but I think this has got to be a thing with this phone.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I do not know IF the two issues are related but my reception was spotty and 4g was non-existent. I went and got new SIM cards (it took three if you count the one it came with) the third one was the charm 5 bars AND a 4G signal where there really isn't supposed to be much of one (border area)
Would love it IF a new SIM worked for everyone with a reception or 4g issue.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I tried 2 new sim cards. Didn't do a thing for me....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

marsha12151

Reaction score
Back to MAXX

Had the S3 for over a month and cannot take it any more! The reception is horrible is areas that were fantastic with my MAXX. Sticking with Motorola (rooted).

Little history: Verizon store changed out SIM. No difference. Then went to the phone support folks and spoke with Verizon Level 2 techs. They reiterated that there was a solution in the works and did not know when it will be out. They are taking back my S3 and giving me a new MAXX. Cannot get one of the newer phones as a swap (DNA, MAXX HD, ETC) but a Maxx will make me very happy.

Learned my lesson - my friends tell me newer is not always better and now I believe.

Last edited:

wooddale

Reaction score
Had the S3 for over a month and cannot take it any more! The reception is horrible is areas that were fantastic with my MAXX. Sticking with Motorola (rooted).

Little history: Verizon store changed out SIM. No difference. Then went to the phone support folks and spoke with Verizon Level 2 techs. They reiterated that there was a solution in the works and did not know when it will be out. They are taking back my S3 and giving me a new MAXX. Cannot get one of the newer phones as a swap (DNA, MAXX HD, ETC) but a Maxx will make me very happy.

Learned my lesson - my friends tell me newer is not always better and now I believe.
Just curious where are you at? I just came back from a spot where neither my Bionic or my Gnex got good signal with S3 4G and all. Im in strong 4G here S3 dont skio a beat. I did have some problems on the way to Wi but seem to be much better after HE. I was gonna try JB leak but working so good I can wait.