3G Dropping!

jfourman

Reaction score
The Verizon rep you spoke with was wrong. Cell equipment does not communicate with a phone using a MAC address. It uses the MIN and MDN. Don't believe me? Grab another VZ phone, grab the MIN and MDN of your current phone, program that in the old one (using the same instructions I mentioned above) and power both on and put them next to each other, watch what happens.

When you dial *228 it automatically does what I gave you the instructions of above, program your MDN and MIN.

Keep in mind the MDM is your phone number and the MIN is the Mobile Identification Number. If a tower sees two phones trying to connect to it with the same MDM and MIN it won't know which one to service and will attempt to service both.

A MAC address is a Manufacturer Access Control address. It's a unique address assigned to ALL (and this is the important part) network devices. If your phone doesn't have a WIFI chip (or doubtfully a NIC card) it won't have a MAC address.

neonerz: I trust your expertise. The fact that my OG Droid has been powered off and in a drawer for a week (not even a battery in it) should negate the need to program the MDN and MIN...right? If both devices were competing, having one off the network should eliminate the issue. After doing so, my D3 is still continually dropping to 1x even when within two feet of the NE. #48 confirms that the NE recognizes the D3. I am still leaning to the theory that this is a D3 radio issue.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

neonerz

Reaction score
There very well could be a problem with the phone and I'm just lucky.

Did you try clearing out those setting I mentioned just to be safe?

I really just wanted to point out that what the rep told you was probably a line of BS.

xaelith

Reaction score
I agree with you neonerz, minus the probably; if the phones go off of the MAC address as the rep claims, then why do so many people have success with completely powering down their previous device then re-programming their new one? The only time any network identifies the device by MAC address is when said device is connected by wi-fi, as it should be.

Unless the rep has had a previous job or spends his spare time working on cell towers and writing networking code for cellular devices, he's probably just regurgitating what he's heard or read and believes to be true. Take this with a grain of salt though, as i'm guilty of it as well ;)

mr4r4n

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
do check the power/data saver settings to make sure its not turning it off intentionally it was on when i checked my d3 before

GENTANI

Reaction score
I get 1-2 bars 3G at my house and drops to none (no 1g either) and if I make calls there is a good chance it'll drop randomly with no prestatic etc.

I live less than a mile from the verizon store. I was told a cellphone booster is 250$, which i think is ridiculous (ATT gave me one for free). Are these cell phone extenders you guys speak of the same thing and how can I get one preferably for free like ATT gave me when I had there service.