3g drop out

draco86

Reaction score
Up to date droidx rooted
Had this problem happen allot, usually while using pandora. I was beginning to think the app was screwed up until just now. I was tethered to my laptop and once I hit 1MB downlOad my 3g went bye bye. It quickly came back then left then came back and stayed for a bit till it shut off 3g completly. I usually don't use tether so I never notice. The 3g seems to cut off when I download too much has anyone else had this problem? because I'm lost.
Guidance Would be much appreciated
Please and thank you

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

piquat

Reaction score
Mine does this when I'm using TuneIn Radio. But I don't think it's the app as sometimes when I light the phone up, there is no 3G icon in the notification bar. Wait 10 seconds and it appears.

I just started looking at this tonight and I'm wondering if it's the 'Battery Mode' I have set. It's set to 'Nighttime saver'. Performance mode says "Device syncs without restriction. No battery savings."

Does Nighttime saver shut off 3G when the screen is off for a long time?

OP
D

draco86

Reaction score
That I believe does cause drop out but yours does what mine does. 3g just poofs away then back. See I shut off that engery saver mode when I got my phone cause my phone charges at night so its worthless to save power then.
Anywho I still see that over use of the 3g forces it to shut down. That's the only thing I can come up with. And I know what verizon is going to tell me, there going to tell me to do a reset. I hate resets. Having to redownload stuff its just blah

piquat

Reaction score
Thing that got me to thinking power management is that it NEVER happens with the screen on. It's always asleep, no matter what I'm doing, streaming radio or nothing at all just sitting in my pocket or on the table. I hit the 'power' button and for the first 10 or so seconds the screen is up... no 3g symbol. I never have to do anything to it, just wait a few seconds, and it's back.

It's gotten to the point where it's in my pocket and the radio stops I just hit the button in my pocket until the audio starts again and shut it back off.

OP
D

draco86

Reaction score
Maybe it is setting although all mine are disabled for power use. Plug yours in and try it. My screen is set to stay on when plugged in. Let's see if you 3g cuts out then

piquat

Reaction score
I work overnights. When I get home in the morning I'll give it a shot though I might not update this thread with the results until ~ midnight tonight.

Thanks for the testing idea, didn't know there was an option to leave the screen on, I'll have to look for it.

OP
D

draco86

Reaction score
There is, you can set them the display to never shut off while plugged in. I suggest that only so the battery does die while the screen is on and radio is going

joeshell20

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with mine. Except mine will do it at random with any program that uses data. Big red says that it is my location, but my wife's ally never loses it's signal. They even sent me replacement unit. It still does it!

OP
D

draco86

Reaction score
Weird... rooted or not?
See mine does it when I seem to use to much to fast I. Guess. Haven't tried to call them I don't want the run around...
Wait if were the singal wouldn't it drop to 1x before just cutting off?
See my singal is usually 4 bars when 3g kicks the bucket

piquat

Reaction score
I streamed TuneIn Radio for an hour and fifteen minutes when I got home in the morning. Was fine the whole time. I left the screen on.

I think my problem may have been that battery mode. The description talks about syncing so I wasn't sure at first. But if you create a custom profile and set at least some of the time to a battery saver mode it warns you that streaming data will be affected during that time. Well, with the normal night time saver mode I was in, it was set to not sync after 15 minutes of inactivity from 10pm to 5am, which is when I'm at work and listening to radio. According to the custom profile warning 'not syncing' = 'shut off 3g'.

The custom profile I set up does this from 3pm to 10pm, while I'm asleep. I'm going to stream some radio again tonight to test the theory.

Edit: I probably have a different problem but just for clarification, I'm rooted.

joeshell20

Reaction score
Yea, I am rooted and running Liberty 1.5. I experienced the same issue with stock, un-rooted blur. Even with data manager and battery saver features off.

OP
D

draco86

Reaction score
Piquat: Yeah just put your phone on performance mode. During performance mode it will not shut off services... try that

Joeshell20: I don't know, your phone has done it all the time and even your replacement did it. What did you do as soon as you got your replacement? Besides set it up of course. Did you root right away or download an app.
Mine wasn't this bad and it seems to come in waves. Yesterday no probs with the radio for me. I wonder if they limit use of constant 3g when a high volume of others are also using it, as to not destort quility
maybe

igknight

Reaction score
I have had this issue with my D1 and my DX. I can be streaming audio, tethered, it does not mater, it will just drop to 1x for no reason. If I stop the program using the data it will go back to 3G and be fine, or drop back to 1x.

Both phones were rooted, all times of the day, the D1 had a custom ROM, did it without too.

piquat

Reaction score
Piquat: Yeah just put your phone on performance mode. During performance mode it will not shut off services... try that

I created a custom profile that puts the 3g down when I'm asleep in the daytime. Seems to have fixed things.

Sorry I haven't been more of a help to you. Hope you get it figured out.

Good luck!

piquat

Reaction score
I wonder if they limit use of constant 3g when a high volume of others are also using it, as to not destort quility
maybe

Just read the other half of your post.

How about this test (obviously from a mid shifter haha). Try it out overnight. Stay up till 4am some weekend and see if it drops then. I doubt there are that many people using data at that point in the night, unless you live in a REALLY major metro area.