2.3.340 ota

cincycats51

Reaction score
I am currently running rooted 928BlackGlass theme with everything else stock and I want to load a rom on my phone for the first time and the rom I want requires the 2.3.340 OTA (My phone says its at 2.3.15). How do I go about getting it? When I go to About Phone and check for system updates, it tries to install one but fails (I would assume it does this for everyone rooted). Is there any known/some what easy way of getting 2.3.340 for rooted users?

maderschramm

Reaction score
I do! I just released something and it's in beta testing but I'm looking for a 2.3.15 tester. You seem like just the guy. More information can be located here.

Review that post and pm me if you're interested.

the5barrons

Reaction score
Op. I was rooted bgx and end up making life easy by sbf'ing to stock 2.2, taking the ota update to 340, then I rerooted, and then rom'd darkslide 4.1 (which deodexes for you).

sbf was easier than to try and get back to stock because I messed with some of the apks By renaming. After a couple fail to updates, I just did the sbf.

Know that, if you're happy with bgx you should stick with it. If you're out for something new than do it. Going back to bgx after the 340 update is a regression.

"what evrrrrr"

maderschramm

Reaction score
what the5barrons suggested will indeed work. That said, if you'd like to avoid an sbf flash my post will help you out. It's up to you. If you want to sbf I have a comprehensive guide on that as well that's linked in my signature.

the5barrons

Reaction score
Yeah, if what you have done is easy to erase or put back to stock, don't sbf. You don't even have to come off root if you have all the stock apps and the dx is in the original configuration. The update should stick.

"what evrrrrr"

OP
C

cincycats51

Reaction score
Im not really big into what is good or what is bad for the device, the extent of my knowledge when it comes to this kind of stuff is very limited...I dont know what the advantages or disadvantages are of "sbf flash" or what it even means. If you could clear that up for me that would be great...

the5barrons

Reaction score
Curious, how did you manage to get to BGX Black Glass if you're limited in the knowledge area? Granted, I didn't know "how" to sbf a device till I needed to do it, but I most certainly knew about when I might need it.

Not picking, just trying to figure out where you really are with the DX. Did you have someone theme your DX for you? SBF and flashing ROM's isn't very much different than how you got BGX on your DX. In fact, it's virtually the same.

the5barrons

Reaction score
928Droid has (had) a zip that will bring your DX back to stock as long as everything else is not messed with. It was available on the 928Droid page, but now that link "cannot be found". Unfortunately, unless someone has it available directly, you need to find another way to back your DX out of BGX or the update to 340 will not work. Without 340 you can't run the ROM...this is why you might want to read up on flashing the SBF for 2.2, run the update, then reroot, then flash the rom of your choice.

Try the forum search engine, try google too.

the5barrons

Reaction score
sbfing and flashing a rom are not even close to performed in the same manor.

My bad...Not talking procedure. acheemm... OP.let me clarify.

SBF requires, RSDlite which is a computer program. The sbf for the particular version you are running under (2.2/.15, .320, 340), and the drivers accordingly. Without getting to involved in the instructions, the DX is hooked to the computer, RSDlite recognizes the DX in recovery mode (not like when you hook up to move sdcard stuff), you initiate the sbf (which is a seperate file)

Flashing a rom is done on the phone...which is why I'm a bit confused because initiating the zip to get BGX is along the same lines as flashing the rom for Darkslide. (minus the mount, wipe data/cache).

Edit...as has been said already....a tutorial on sbf is http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...e-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post1025361

BTW, you don't have to bricked to use it.

Last edited:
OP
C

cincycats51

Reaction score
I rooted and loaded Black Glass myself, but I knew nothing about anything before I did it, and it was so easy and the instructions were step by step so I didnt learn anything, I just did what I was told which is why my knowledge is so limited to this. And I did try to search and I couldnt find anything...I would like to get my hands on that zip file from 928 to bring me back to stock...Ill have to look around I guess.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I rooted and loaded Black Glass myself, but I knew nothing about anything before I did it, and it was so easy and the instructions were step by step so I didnt learn anything, I just did what I was told which is why my knowledge is so limited to this. And I did try to search and I couldnt find anything...I would like to get my hands on that zip file from 928 to bring me back to stock...Ill have to look around I guess.

Yeah...mmm. Sorry, I had the file, cause I used it trying to get back to stock so I could get the update. I since deleted my entire 928 folder and the downloads that had it. With that link and page down, I think the SBF might be the way to go. It's really not that complicated.

joe_g79

Reaction score

Have you found the file from 928 to go back to stock? If not I do have a copy of DroidX22-OTA-Odexed I also have DeOdex theme and DeOdexEERR-Them.

maderschramm

Reaction score
My update.zip is out of beta test, it works pretty well. See the "maderstcok" link in my sig - it's comparable to 928's but it takes you from anywhere to 2.3.340