2 1/2 weeks after Bionic Build 5.9.901 ------- How's it working for you????

nateohio

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly stand by all of my initial impressions posted in this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-initial-impressions-what-we-know-so-far.html

It's been an overwhelming success. If you go through the threads pertaining to this build, you'll see that about 9 out of 10 people say this build solves all their problems and finally brings the Bionic to a point that it actually lives up to the hype.

After 2 1/2 weeks running the 901 build, I have yet to experience ANY data drops (other than nationwide outages).

It's still running extremely well, very snappy, and its stable.

It still has excellent battery life, although I did calibrate my battery after I flashed it. I can easily get through a workday with moderate use leaving 4Glte and Bluetooth running.

Bottom line: If you haven't tried this yet, TRY IT!!!!! Especially if you didn't give it a good honest shot after trying the first time. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you CANNOT judge a build in just a few minutes. Just the fact that VZW has had so many network issues lately is a reason to give it more than just a few minutes. Otherwise, how are you going to know if it's the network or the phone causing problems.

As a side note: VZW has DEFINITELY upgraded the network in my area in the last couple of days. Areas in my house that I was lucky to get a 4G signal in a week ago, I'm now getting almost a full signal in. When I did a speed test before, i was lucky to pull a 4-5 MBit download and 1 MBit upload. Doing a speed test now in the same spot, I average 25-28 MBit download and 10-12 MBit upload.

Things are definitely looking up for us guys!!!! Hang in there!!!

dpw2atox

Reaction score
I agree, this build runs very well for me. I'd give it a 9.5/10 and probably is the best Motorola will be able to get this phone running on Gingerbread. It isnt perfect as I have noticed a few small issues but overall it works great. Now my biggest hope is that Motorola/Verizon push this out to everyone ASAP and put all effort into getting ICS out.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love this build, however being that it hasn't been officially released/approved; it has market issues that caused me to revert to .893

Same thing as usual with non-approved builds, the copy protected apps I own were not showing up in the market. Had this issue with GTA III and Rockstar was too stupid to figure out how to fix it (even though I told them), so I went back until .901 (or whatever) becomes official.

deduct

Reaction score
Phones running great since i upgraded a couple weeks ago too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Tonik

Reaction score
Outstanding results here, I could not ask for anything more. It drops very rarely and it reconnects on it's own. I have not had to do airplane/battery pull/reboot since I installed it about 2 weeks ago.

kaylesworth

Reaction score
901 has been a great. Only 1 data drop and no BSOD since I upgraded a week and a half ago. Also 4G reception has been greatly improved. I thought my house is in a fringe area because I was always toggling between 3G and 4G at home. Now I maintain 4G all the time. Glad I took the plunge and flashed it.

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
I love this build, however being that it hasn't been officially released/approved; it has market issues that caused me to revert to .893

Same thing as usual with non-approved builds, the copy protected apps I own were not showing up in the market. Had this issue with GTA III and Rockstar was too stupid to figure out how to fix it (even though I told them), so I went back until .901 (or whatever) becomes official.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard of something like this on any phone or build. Is it predominantly a problem with games?? I've never had this issue, at all.

kamisan

Reaction score
I love this build, however being that it hasn't been officially released/approved; it has market issues that caused me to revert to .893.

was your 901 the select release or cheesecake?
it was released in select markets. simple build prop edits gets the games to re show. if your phone doesn't show on the web android market device page properly it will have all sorts of market issues. even with it right many still have no my apps... 901 does have some vital core file differences from all the 893 builds that require proper files being used to make custom roms even load. im on 901 and my apps is blank but all my secure paid apps re installed fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Scribble

Reaction score
They need to get off their booties and release the update for real. I'm not really one to do the DIY update stuff because it usually takes a little while for people to figure out how to get back on the official OTA path, and waiting for that would irk me. :p

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
was your 901 the select release or cheesecake?
it was released in select markets. simple build prop edits gets the games to re show. if your phone doesn't show on the web android market device page properly it will have all sorts of market issues. even with it right many still have no my apps... 901 does have some vital core file differences from all the 893 builds that require proper files being used to make custom roms even load. im on 901 and my apps is blank but all my secure paid apps re installed fine.

To my knowledge, 901 was never available via cheesecake. The zip file thats available for download is the actual OTA that somebody pulled from the directory before installing.

endobrian

Reaction score
Working great for me. zero 4g to 3g issues.
901 is probably the Verizon test release. I suspect it will be available OTA in a few weeks.

WarMachin3

Reaction score
Running great no data drop but can't for the life of me figure out how to now root or for lack of better knowledge understand how due to no clear step by step.

ripper2860

Reaction score
Running great no data drop but can't for the life of me figure out how to now root or for lack of better knowledge understand how due to no clear step by step.

.901 cannot be rooted at this point. I'm sure that there will be a method sometime in the future (probably once it is seen if it is the official final OTA), but for now it cannot be rooted. You either had to have been rooted and forever rooted BEFORE applying .901 or you'll have to roll back to .866 or .893 and then root/forever root before re-flashing .901.

There are instructions for doing that around, but it may require piecing stuff together from several posts. IIRC, you will need to read about flashing the .901 CDT.bin in order to roll back. If you are looking for an easy, clear and concise set of directions, rolling back from .901 so you can root and go back to .901 may not be for you.

markwebb

Reaction score
I installed the OTA right before XMAS and since I live in a 3G ONLY area, I never had the opportunity to test my Bionic in a 4G area.

Over XMAS week, I traveled the eastern corridor from Wilimington, DE to Bridgeport, CT (and then further NW but out of 4 g network) and had a solid 4G connection along most of the Amtrak NE corridor. I never used Amtrak's onboard wifi because it was so bad and slow (and provided by AT&T!). 3G is always rock solid on my Bionic.

My only issue is that my connections sometimes takes awhile to initiate when the phone comes out of sleep mode. Shouldn't that have been fixed?

Otherwise, the 901 update has, for the most part, improved my phone. It is a bit snappier as well.