1st smartphone--a few questions

NyR424

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If this is not in the right spot, feel free to move. This is my first smartphone and I have some basic questions that I cant seem to find the answers to, so I'll post here:

1) Is GPS navigation included with the 29.99 data plan?
2) Is there a way to quickly link/unlink contacts between phone and facebook or you have to do them separately?
2a) I dont want my contact to be listed as a facebook profile name, for instance I want my dad to be listed in my phone as "dad", not his actual name. It seems when I linked him to facebook, "dad" was automatically changed everywhere in the phone to his full name.
3) For the quick contact widgit, is there anyway to have the name displayed across the picture? Before linked, it was a blank blue head with a name. Now its just a profile picture with no name.
4) How do I get music and movies? Are they free? Can I get my iTunes music linked?

Thanks for all your help! These questions may seem simple or silly, but any help you may have would be greatly appreciated.

zoeb786

Reaction score
1) Is GPS navigation included with the 29.99 data plan? Yes, use google maps navigation. vz navigator is included as well.
2) Is there a way to quickly link/unlink contacts between phone and facebook or you have to do them separately? nope, not that i could fine
2a) I dont want my contact to be listed as a facebook profile name, for instance I want my dad to be listed in my phone as "dad", not his actual name. It seems when I linked him to facebook, "dad" was automatically changed everywhere in the phone to his full name. Nickname in the contacts section.
3) For the quick contact widgit, is there anyway to have the name displayed across the picture? Before linked, it was a blank blue head with a name. Now its just a profile picture with no name. Changing the size of the widget will change the way it's displayed. if it's too small, it will show only the pic.
4) How do I get music and movies? Are they free? Can I get my iTunes music linked? Use DoubleTwist. And download their free app.

ripsting

Reaction score
1) Is GPS navigation included with the 29.99 data plan? Yes, use google maps navigation. vz navigator is included as well.

Careful... Downloading the VZ Navigator app itself is free, but the service is not. In the app description it states "Cost $9.99/mo". Google Navigator has no access fees.

I find google navigator to be superior anyways (this is pre-installed on your phone as simply "Navigation"). Also, on your homescreen press the menu button ->Settings->Location & Security-> check [Use Wireless networks] and [Enable Assisted GPS] in addition to [Use GPS satellites] for the fastest GPS acquisition times.

I noticed that if you turn GPS off and back on via the homescreen widget that [Use Wireless networks] and [Enable Assisted GPS] will NOT be re-enabled. I simply leave GPS on all the time.

For your Facebook problems (which everyone is having), I would unlink your Facebook account from your phone until Motorola fixes the issues. Menu->Settings->Accounts-> Press & Hold on Facebook->Remove account. You can always install the Facebook App from the marketplace, but it won't integrate with your contacts at all.

xandor

Reaction score

Careful... Downloading the VZ Navigator app itself is free, but the service is not. In the app description it states "Cost $9.99/mo". Google Navigator has no access fees.

I find google navigator to be superior anyways (this is pre-installed on your phone as simply "Navigation"). Also, on your homescreen press the menu button ->Settings->Location & Security-> check [Use Wireless networks] and [Enable Assisted GPS] in addition to [Use GPS satellites] for the fastest GPS acquisition times.

I noticed that if you turn GPS off and back on via the homescreen widget that [Use Wireless networks] and [Enable Assisted GPS] will NOT be re-enabled. I simply leave GPS on all the time.

For your Facebook problems (which everyone is having), I would unlink your Facebook account from your phone until Motorola fixes the issues. Menu->Settings->Accounts-> Press & Hold on Facebook->Remove account. You can always install the Facebook App from the marketplace, but it won't integrate with your contacts at all.

The separate facebook app gives you a choice to sync them or not.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

mindytyson3

Reaction score
2) Is there a way to quickly link/unlink contacts between phone and facebook or you have to do them separately? nope, not that i could fine
2a) I dont want my contact to be listed as a facebook profile name, for instance I want my dad to be listed in my phone as "dad", not his actual name. It seems when I linked him to facebook, "dad" was automatically changed everywhere in the phone to his full name. Nickname in the contacts section.
3) For the quick contact widgit, is there anyway to have the name displayed across the picture? Before linked, it was a blank blue head with a name. Now its just a profile picture with no name. Changing the size of the widget will change the way it's displayed. if it's too small, it will show only the pic.
4) How do I get music and movies? Are they free? Can I get my iTunes music linked? Use DoubleTwist. And download their free app.

whats doubletwist? thanks.