16GB Internal Storage Conundrum

moosetags

Reaction score
I am more than ready to pull the trigger on a GN2 as soon as it hits the Verizon store. As with everything else, I tend to
over-research things. In my ongoing research of all things GN2, I have come across some disturbing information.

I was watching some instructional videos on the GN2. One of these videos deals with the internal memory of the GN2. The
video points out that the standard 16GB model may prove insufficient for very active users. The 16GB model will only
have about 11GB internal memory available for apps. The video points out that with the Jelly Bean OS, apps cannot be
stored on the external memory card as was possible with Ice Cream Sandwich. The video highly recommends waiting for
the 32GB and 64GB versions to become available.

Now I am torn as to waiting for the higher memory versions of the GN2.

Brian

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there an external SD card slot for the GN2? If so, just get a memory card, 11GB is still quit a bit of space for apps if you keep pics, music, videos, etc.. on the external card.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I wouldn't hold my breath for a 32GB or 64GB Note 2 to be officially released in the U.S., especially on Verizon. They're barely acknowledging that the 16GB model even exists (focusing their attention on the DNA and other exclusive devices), so I doubt they'll be revisiting it with another version that has a larger amount of internal memory anytime soon.

Also, there are ways of moving apps to the SD card with root. It's not the most straightforward thing on Jelly Bean, but it can be done if you really need it.

OP
moosetags

moosetags

Reaction score
Thank you bsweetness. That makes me feel better about the 16GB version. I'm really loooking forward to getting my hands on a GN2 and don't really want to wait any longer.

Brian

GreystoneHD

Reaction score
16gb is plenty enough with your added option of putting a 32 or 64gb micro SD card. Waiting for a phone with a higher internal memory would not be your best option.

pdm0376

Reaction score
I just got my Note 2 and wasn't aware I couldn't move apps to the external. Will be swapping it out for the i5 I'm sure. 27gb is better than 9gb (how much you have after all the pre-loaded junk)....and I'm not rooting a brand new phone to void the warranty. Will hold my breath for a 32 or 64 model later. i5 for now

wcjeep

Reaction score
On my GS3 the 64gb Sandisk memory class 10 card works great. I save the on board memory for pics and recorded video. Found my Sandisk memory on Amazon. It is was $54. Best price since has been $41 also on Amazon.

soulpatch

Reaction score
On my GS3 the 64gb Sandisk memory class 10 card works great. I save the on board memory for pics and recorded video. Found my Sandisk memory on Amazon. It is was $54. Best price since has been $41 also on Amazon.

Once the update to JB you will lose out on that. JB is the culprit here with stopping you from moving apps from phone to card. Not sure why they got rid of that in the OS as is sort of stupid to me but perhaps they can patch it later to allow it once again.

I personally wont have an issue. I dont keep that many apps on my phone at the same time. I use the play store and such to be my repository and DL things again should I really need them and only keep important apps on the phone that I constantly use. External card is paramount for videos, music, ect.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just got my Note 2 and wasn't aware I couldn't move apps to the external. Will be swapping it out for the i5 I'm sure. 27gb is better than 9gb (how much you have after all the pre-loaded junk)....and I'm not rooting a brand new phone to void the warranty. Will hold my breath for a 32 or 64 model later. i5 for now

Only you will know you voided your warranty. Vzw doesn't have a crystal ball and wont find out unless you tell them!

pdm0376

Reaction score
Only you will know you voided your warranty. Vzw doesn't have a crystal ball and wont find out unless you tell them!
I never rooted so I assumed if you did it, something gets imprinted somewhere, letting your carrier know if something was to happen. Is rooting hard to do? I really want to keep this phone but the having 9 gig to work with for apps is a bummer

Tonik

Reaction score
The video highly recommends waiting for
the 32GB and 64GB versions to become available.

I do not think VZ will release the larger sizes, but that is just my gut feeling. I also don't think 11GB of app storage is a problem if you put your photos and music on the SD card.