13 Technologies Dying Out Because of Smartphone Innovations

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Work for a cell phone company and you'll be amazed at the number of people who still have a landline phone. Typically it's because it is bundled with tv/Internet and not because it is a necessity.

For me it is because during the 2003 Blackout in the midwest/Northeast, my cellphone was useless (first cell towers were overwhelmed, then there was no power to recharge a cell phone!). However, my landline worked swimmingly. After that, as a small time prepper, I vowed I'd never be without a landline ever!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
For me it is because during the 2003 Blackout in the midwest/Northeast, my cellphone was useless (first cell towers were overwhelmed, then there was no power to recharge a cell phone!). However, my landline worked swimmingly. After that, as a small time prepper, I vowed I'd never be without a landline ever!
http://www.prepperforums.net/

We have a site for you :)

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Smartphone battery life will have to get a lot better before some of these actually get replaced by a smartphone.
I have a some issues with a few of the points.

DSLR camera? Really?
No. No. No. Nope. Smartphones are great for capturing quick photos on the go, or photos you are only going to use online or if you don't care if they are a little blurry or whatever. I love my smartphone camera and it's how I take 99% of my photos. But it will be a long, long time before smartphone cameras can actually replace a good DSLR. Right now, it isn't even close. Smartphone lenses are light years behind even the cheaper end DSLR cameras. If I know I am going to be somewhere where I am going to be taking pictures that I want to be of very good quality, I'm tossing the point and click in the backpack. We went to the Smokey Mountains last year...and yeah, I had the point and click with me for shots from the peaks.

Remote Controls?
No. Not having the physical buttons on a smartphone is huge. 99% of the people who use remotes do so without really looking, especially with skip ahead and pause features of DVR remotes. Plus, who wants to turn on their phone and unlock it every time you want to pause the tv or flip through channels when there is a tv remote RIGHT THERE? Smartphones, at least how we know them, will never replace a tv remote.

Smartphones can do radio. The TuneIn app is just one app that allows you to listen to all of your local (and non-local) radio stations. Granted, you can't listen to sports on TuneIn...but you can listen to the NHL games, any NHL game, using the NHL Gamecenter app for free. MLB & NFL games you have to pay for...but you can still do it.

I'm guessing most folks that are in a situation where they need a compass, are going to be getting spotty at best cell coverage in that area. I would NEVER go on a trip, thinking I will need a compass and rely on a smartphone for that. Hiking up in the mountains, out in the jungle, sailing, away from civilization a bit....yeah, I'm taking a real compass.