Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I'm bumping because nobody seems to know the answer, 4 VZW tech help folks didn't either. When dialing, using Voice Search, which I do a lot when driving, it always ads the +1 in front of the number, and I get the message, "Verizon wireless, we're sorry your call cannot be completed, please check the number etc etc" So I have to manually edit the # to take out the +1. However, VLingo doesn't ad the +1, but it also doesn't have the best results when saying what your calling. When I was testing it, I said call McDonalds, Ambler, Pa.. it gave me McDonalds all over the state...

VZWSupport

Reaction score
I'm bumping because nobody seems to know the answer, 4 VZW tech help folks didn't either. When dialing, using Voice Search, which I do a lot when driving, it always ads the +1 in front of the number, and I get the message, "Verizon wireless, we're sorry your call cannot be completed, please check the number etc etc" So I have to manually edit the # to take out the +1. However, VLingo doesn't ad the +1, but it also doesn't have the best results when saying what your calling. When I was testing it, I said call McDonalds, Ambler, Pa.. it gave me McDonalds all over the state...
Hello Shadez! I'm here to help resolve the "+1" issue you're seeing on your phone. We actually have seen this on some devices. I most cases, we're seeing this occur on contacts that are also shared with Facebook. If you have a look at your Facebook contacts, you'll notice that a "+1" gets added to all mobile numbers. Even if you remove the "+1" from your contacts on your device's phonebook, the next sync with Facebook may re-add it. You can confirm whether or not this is impacting you by checking one of your contacts to see if they're also listed on Facebook.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Hello Shadez! I'm here to help resolve the "+1" issue you're seeing on your phone. We actually have seen this on some devices. I most cases, we're seeing this occur on contacts that are also shared with Facebook. If you have a look at your Facebook contacts, you'll notice that a "+1" gets added to all mobile numbers. Even if you remove the "+1" from your contacts on your device's phonebook, the next sync with Facebook may re-add it. You can confirm whether or not this is impacting you by checking one of your contacts to see if they're also listed on Facebook.

Thanks for responding, I rarely use facebook but since its built in and synched with my gmail all my facebook are in my contacts. So your saying go through some 400 contacts and see if one of them has a +1 in front of their #? Sorry Im a little confused

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

This phone is new, and am not totally familiar with it yet. But under contacts, I see all my twitter, facebook, etc all listed. Is there a simple fix for this problem?

Edit: Alot of the contacts I have are from facebook. I don't know how it synched it, I never even signed into FB from this phone till you responded. I'm trying to find a way to un-synch facebook atm ... not having any luck.

Edit 2: Well it let me uninstall facebook, re-synched, still getting the +1

Last edited:
OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well I managed to get my contacts down to just the ones I added manually, no +1 in any of the #s but still gives the +1 when trying to dial via voice search ... this is absolutely ridiculous.

bprutzman

Reaction score
Me too.... Could the problem be LOCATION based?!?!? +1 you are my enemy.

My wife and I are also both having this same exact issue. Her phone is a Droid 2 (R2D2 edition) and mine is a Droid Bionic. Indeed it was also happening on my original Droid before I upgraded to the Bionic. All three phones are on the Verizon network. All three phones are running on Stock operating systems (no root). But here's the part I find VERY interesting.... we live in Lansdale, Pennsylvania. One of the previous posters (Shadez) mentioned something about him living in Ambler, PA. That's just down the road. So the issue is occuring on at least three different models of phones and multiple versions of the Android operating system. BUT could it be that all with this problem live in the same geographic area of South Eastern PA? Indeed the voice search "call McDonalds" or "Call Walmart" feature DOES interact somehow with google maps to figure out which McD's or Walmart is close to our current location. So could the problem be LOCATION based?

Please help with this, VZW tech folks. It is really annoying.

Brad.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
My wife and I are also both having this same exact issue. Her phone is a Droid 2 (R2D2 edition) and mine is a Droid Bionic. Indeed it was also happening on my original Droid before I upgraded to the Bionic. All three phones are on the Verizon network. All three phones are running on Stock operating systems (no root). But here's the part I find VERY interesting.... we live in Lansdale, Pennsylvania. One of the previous posters (Shadez) mentioned something about him living in Ambler, PA. That's just down the road. So the issue is occuring on at least three different models of phones and multiple versions of the Android operating system. BUT could it be that all with this problem live in the same geographic area of South Eastern PA? Indeed the voice search "call McDonalds" or "Call Walmart" feature DOES interact somehow with google maps to figure out which McD's or Walmart is close to our current location. So could the problem be LOCATION based?

Please help with this, VZW tech folks. It is really annoying.

Brad.

Hi Brad, Good news and bad news.. lol Bad news is, you still get the +1. The good news is, now the call will go through tho. :)

bprutzman

Reaction score
Yep! I really think it's a location based problem!

I'm replying to my own post because I have further information. I did a google search and found another person with this same "+1 added to voice search" problem. He lives in Pennsburg, PA. That is about 10 or 15 miles from the towns of both Ambler and Lansdale. All evidence points me to believe this is a regional issue.

So there you go, VZW Support. I really think I've tracked the issue down for you... now please solve the problem.

With thanks,
Brad.

bprutzman

Reaction score
Hi Brad, Good news and bad news.. lol Bad news is, you still get the +1. The good news is, now the call will go through tho. :)

It still doesn't go through for me, Shadez. I still get the stupid automated verizon voice message everytime I try to "Call PJ Wheelihans" or "Call Walmart" :(

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
That is strange. Calls just started going through for me. When I took it to VZW, every single one of their phones did it to. I reported it several times. I was told at one point it had to do with google voice, which I removed. Now if you have that running, that may be a reason.

bprutzman

Reaction score
That is strange. Calls just started going through for me. When I took it to VZW, every single one of their phones did it to. I reported it several times. I was told at one point it had to do with google voice, which I removed. Now if you have that running, that may be a reason.

I have never used google voice, so I don't think that has anything to do with it for me. I'm going to tryi "speaktoit" and see if that solves my problems.

bprutzman

Reaction score

When did it start working for you?

bprutzman

Reaction score
I'm guessing about 3 weeks ago. Speaktoit is ok but not as accurate. I was getting results on the other side of the country.

I bet your complaints caused someone to change something in your geographic area. If you amble from ambler to lansdale, please try it here. My hypothesis is that it won't work for you here -- that it's a geographic thing.