WiFi use is Confusing to a New User

dee302

Reaction score
Born & raised in NY; curretly living in NJ
Just adopted my phone 5 days ago (Motorola DROID RAZR 16GB??) Can someone please explain the WiFi feature?
Verizon Share Everything plan 2GB; 4G internet access & app Acess; Mobile Hot Spot Trigger...

The guy at Radio Shack told me not to link it to my PC when I'm at home, but it does it by itself. He said something about using too much data space??

Also don't understand that the phone has 16GB and my plan has 2GB??? Any help would be appreciated!!!

gone_hog_wild

Reaction score
The phone has 16gb memory and the 2gb is how much internet usage you have to use. Any data use after ur 2gb will cost extra.

doniago

Reaction score
Mr. Radio Shack was almost certainly referring to tethering your phone, i.e. using it to allow your PC to connect to the internet, versus connecting to your existing wireless network, which I assume is what you're currently doing. If you tether then your PC is using data from your data plan allowance.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wifi is the wireless signal put out by a router and usually has unlimited amounts of usage because it's hooked into your home internet service. If you have wifi at home that is probably your best bet until you get used to how much what and when you'll be doing with your newfound capabilities.
16gb is the amount of memory (how many photos, videos, etc) your phone can have stored on it. It is not related to signal at all.
2gb family share is the amount of non wifi data you are allotted each month. Thats why I suggested use wifi as much as possible until you get used to your phone. Use more, pay more.
4g lte is the signal your phone uses for non wifi data.
Hotspot will turn your phone into a way to take in 4g signals and send them to other devices as wifi. This can be a handy feature BUT the incoming 4g is coming from your "bucket " of 2gb so be aware of that should you give it a try.
Since you are coming from a dumbphone you're already familiar with how the phone call and probably text parts work since they remain the same, in how they work, on both devices.
I hope my clear as mud explanation helps.
If you need help getting the wifi set up post back and someone will walk you through getting it going. In the mean time think of your new phone as a smaller screened tablet. I use my phone and tablets instead of my desktop 99.9% of the time now.
Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

OP
dee302

dee302

Reaction score
Born & raised in NY; curretly living in NJ
thanks so much for the help. But, of course I'm still a bit confused (but less than I was??)
My PC @ home is via Comcast Xfinity (cable). When I use my new phone it says "connected to xxxxx (my router that connects my kids laptops), so does that mean I'm NOT wasting my phone data???

thanks again!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I use my new phone it says "connected to xxxxx (my router that connects my kids laptops), so does that mean I'm NOT wasting my phone data???

thanks again!

That is correct. You are using wifi and not your phone data.
One thing when you are out and about and get a notification that a wifi network is available, be it a coffee house, fast food joint, etc be very wary of using that network for anything that you don't want others to know. They might say they are secure but their security is so weak, usually, that hackers could readily get your passwords, bank info, etc if you use sites that require them.
May I also suggest once you get a little more comfortable start looking around the forum for apps, tips,etc. There's a plethora of info here and a great membership that is willing to help.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post