Which APPS/PROCESSES to freeze?

fishacura

Reaction score
Finally took the plunge and rooted my VZ S4. Not sure which apps VZ has running that are the hogs that are safe to freeze. Anyone have a list they are keeping???

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
None on mine. Haven't found a reason yet. I get at least 2 days and sometimes (much), more on a charge and the phone runs great as is. Of course I'm on AT&T.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
None on mine. Haven't found a reason yet. I get at least 2 days and sometimes (much), more on a charge and the phone runs great ass is. Of course I'm on AT&T.
How about for those of us that actually use our phones lol! Seriously though, is VZ notorious for more bloatware than ATT???VZ users, any help??? What are you freezing? Send your thoughts and I'll be happy to keep a list and post a compiled one.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
How about for those of us that actually use our phones lol! Seriously though, is VZ notorious for more bloatware than ATT???VZ users, any help??? What are you freezing? Send your thoughts and I'll be happy to keep a list and post a compiled one.

You're right, being on VZW puts you at a disadvantage but there are things I have done to my phone to get that kind of battery life (that won;t work for some people) that were fairly simple. I only have 2 widgets weather and task manager, the only active one is task manager. Everything else is on demand including my mail and the weather widget. Mail is a biggie for most people so if only getting mail when the app opens and I tell it to doesn't work at least extend the interval for syncing.

Yesterday I only got 1d 14h to get down to 30% which was unusual for me but I tracked that down to an AT&T WiFi hotspot app that every now and then want's to do that. I'm considering turning that one off too. The active widgets are a killer. Looking at my task manager widget usually says 1 app.

And yes, I do use the phone, a lot.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
EXACTLY my problem. I just checked my running services. 35!!! WTF? Here are some of them:Yahoo Mail - Why is it running? I have sync set to hourlyAmazon - Huh??? I use it once in awhile but why would it be running in the background?Alarm - No alarm is set!Story Album - Some Samsung app I have never even usedSamsung WatchON - see aboveJust a sampling. My problem is, I don't want to freeze them because I do use amazon sometimes so I don't want to loose the app. However, I don't know how to stop them from automatically running.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Are those appearing the the tasks widget or in the settings apps running area? Even in the running area some of those sound a little over the top. I would double check all the settings in all the apps as updates to the apps can add or change settings options.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Whoops...yes these are running in Settings - Application Manager - Running I don't see a task manager widget. Is that what it's called?I see one called "active applications". I actually have 0 in that so that feels right. It's more about these background running services and killing some of them. Actually surprised a list has not emerged.

gling

Reaction score
Here's a link to a thread on another site that has an ongoing discussion regarding apps/processes that are safe to freeze for the S4. I always like to read through all of the posts to see if anyone is having problems after freezing certain things.
Hope it helps.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Here's a link to a thread on another site that has an ongoing discussion regarding apps/processes that are safe to freeze for the S4. I always like to read through all of the posts to see if anyone is having problems after freezing certain things.Hope it helps.
Terrific...thanks for digging this up. I have noticed (now that I put this app manager widget on) that Google Play and Google Chrome seem to be the two apps that for some reason keep "starting" themselves. I have NO idea why this would be happening. Anyone know why this happens?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Terrific...thanks for digging this up. I have noticed (now that I put this app manager widget on) that Google Play and Google Chrome seem to be the two apps that for some reason keep "starting" themselves. I have NO idea why this would be happening. Anyone know why this happens?

One possibility is that you are syncing Chrome with your desktop or a bookmark sync app.