Video calling

honors21

Reaction score
Hi what's everyone using for video calling?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

missrachel

Reaction score
I use Tango - never had any problems with it - it's fast and easy to use. Tango also works w/ iOS so I can still video chat with my "slower" friends with iPhones ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

JFMFT

Reaction score
There is no Google Talk application for the iPhone, and if there is one, I seriously doubt it has any video calling feature. For cross-platform, you can try Tango or Skype (not sure if either support ICS at this time - but you can check if you want).

I use Google Talk from Galaxy Nexus to Galaxy Nexus or Xoom/Tab 10.1, and it works great between all 4 of my devices. A bit choppy on 3G, but when both are on Wi-Fi (different Wi-Fi connections, that is) it's pretty smooth and has a lot less voice/video artifacts. Try it!

prkrastn8

Reaction score
I have used Skype for video calling and works great. I have a friend who is in Vietnam right now and he was on wifi and I was only on a 3g connection and it worked great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

PhishyKris

Reaction score
GTalk works well. I use it to chat with my family. they are on a PC on the other end and it is crystal clear.

cloud12077

Reaction score
I couldn't get gtalk to work for me. From my Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) to my friends Galaxy S1 (T-Mobile). I'll check out Tango though!

magnus

Reaction score
There is no Google Talk application for the iPhone, and if there is one, I seriously doubt it has any video calling feature. For cross-platform, you can try Tango or Skype (not sure if either support ICS at this time - but you can check if you want).

I use Google Talk from Galaxy Nexus to Galaxy Nexus or Xoom/Tab 10.1, and it works great between all 4 of my devices. A bit choppy on 3G, but when both are on Wi-Fi (different Wi-Fi connections, that is) it's pretty smooth and has a lot less voice/video artifacts. Try it!

Thank you!!!!!

davidwar

Reaction score
I have a Skype account on my home computer. Are there charges for doing video calls on your phone?

ryguy5254

Reaction score
Just the standard data fees. If you're on an unlimited data plan, you're good to go, if not, you might want to watch how often you do video calls so you won't go over 2GB/4G.

I'm on an unlimited plan, so the second part about going over 2GB/4GB might be erroneous.

captdroid

Reaction score
Skype in the market (not the Verizon Skype) works very well: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skype.raider

Free except for the data if you are not on unlimited. Video quality even over 3g is very good. It just works. Pretty cool to have video calling now with the g/f. We both have Galaxy Nexus phones. The Skype video calling should work on other phones though even iPhone.

davidwar

Reaction score
Does some sort of notification show up in the notifications screen even if you the skype app is not open?

EAK

Reaction score

That's not necessarily true. There is a free app in the app store that can be used to talk over gtalk from Ipad to Nexus. Forget the name of the app, but I used it to talk to my sis(has the Ipad2) over the weekend.

captdroid

Reaction score
Does some sort of notification show up in the notifications screen even if you the skype app is not open?

I think to receive calls you have to be logged into skype and a notification shows up when a call is received.